No assistants?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Miss J. Pre-K, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Feb 2, 2011

In the county I live in, there are teacher assistants in kindergarten, first grade, second grade, and third grade. I think the third grade teachers have assistants half day and share with another teacher. And the other assistants usually spend an hour daily with a fourth or fifth grade teacher to help them out. I realize this county has been really fortunate to pay for so much help for teachers.

There's been rumors this year that the assistants will be RIFed in all but kindergarten. They are expecting huge budget cuts from the state this year and are trying not to cut teachers. I no longer work in the county, but I feel horrible for all assistants who might lose their jobs. Has this been happening other places? How have you dealt with the lack of assistants if it has?

3. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Feb 2, 2011

Assistants in classrooms is a foreign thought to me. I have never had an assistant. This year I have 31 students + 3 special ed all by myself.....

4. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Feb 2, 2011

I has an assistant for a few short months. I think it's pretty common that cutting aides is one of the first things to go.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 3, 2011

A foreign thought to me as well. We have 4 teaching assistants assigned to our school of 750 students (junior kindergarten to grade 8). One of these is attached to a kindergarten class, as there are several high needs students (autism spectrum disorders, developmental delays, non-verbal) in that class. The others are "deployed" according to school needs, but there is no classroom that has assistance for more than 2 hours a day and, again, to have even part-time assistance, there need to be some pretty serious, identified needs. For example, in my grade 7 and 8 split class, I have 6 students identified with Learning Disabilities (2 quiet severe), 2 with Mild Intellectual Delays (slow learners) and one who is ELL, a selective mute and probably has a severe LD as well. That classroom gets support from an assistant for 2 hours, 2 days a week.

6. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Feb 3, 2011

I never had an assistant my first 2 years but now I have one for a few hours a day. At first I didn't know what to "do" with an assistant, but now I can't imagine not having one! There's talk of cutting ours next year. All this budget stuff is so depressing...in my county there's talk of a pay cut next year. I don't think I can make it!

7. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 3, 2011

I was lucky to teach in a district that had assistants for awhile. Kindergarten had them all day except naps, so the pre-K and K paras would spend nap time in an older grade. So, for about an hour each day, I had a para to help with small groups!

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 3, 2011

Our assistants are assigned to special education teachers, but I think that this is slowly starting to change. I think that the administration is starting to assign the assistants to them and then share them with the special education teachers when needed.

So, I usually have an assistant in my class because I get so many students with special needs.

Another area that I think my district is looking at cutting is the special education teachers. We may hire more assistants and cut special education staff...It's all a scary thought right now!

9. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Feb 3, 2011

We haven't had assistants for several years except for special ed. The only other exception is Pre-K because of state ratio laws.

10. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Feb 3, 2011

We have PreK assistants (1 per room) and Kdg assistants (1 to share between 4 classrooms) and one special ed aide.