No Assistant...

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by AKitchin, Aug 23, 2011.

1. AKitchin

AKitchin Companion

Aug 23, 2011

So, as of right now, we are opening with no assistants in Kinder. We will be at 20-21. When teaching younger grades (PreK-K) I have always had an assistant.

Is anyone else in this boat with me? What do you do to manage the kids, especially in reading?

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2011

Our kindergarten classes have 20 (or a couple more) students and there is only an aide if there are students with special needs and, even then, the classes would share an aide.

4. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Aug 23, 2011

I have no aide either. Only if there is a student who is special needs, which is too often since most are beginning their school year. I don't start reading groups until about November and I do them during center time, when I usually have a parent in the room with me.

5. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Aug 23, 2011

I have never had an aide (15 years). I don't start reading groups/centers until late fall. I then start just the centers and I strictly monitor them. We will do just literacy centers for about 1 month. Once I see that the kids understand and know what to do in the centers, I start pulling small groups.

6. AKitchin

AKitchin Companion

Aug 23, 2011

How do you monitor the others while you're pulling groups?

7. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Aug 24, 2011

QUOTE=starbucks;1510021]I have never had an aide (15 years). I don't start reading groups/centers until late fall. I then start just the centers and I strictly monitor them. We will do just literacy centers for about 1 month. Once I see that the kids understand and know what to do in the centers, I start pulling small groups.[/QUOTE]

This is how I did it last year.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  8. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Aug 24, 2011

I have never had an aide. In fact one of my great friends has 26 in her kindergarten class without an aide and would have been surprised if she had gotten one.

9. AKitchin

AKitchin Companion

Aug 24, 2011

Wow, I really thought an assistant in K was pretty consistent across the board. We were pretty spoiled in my old school, we had full day aids in each Kindergarten, Second, Fourth and Fifth grades... there were floating aids in third and first... it was heaven!

10. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Aug 24, 2011

Wow! I don't know a school in my area that has K aides. I usually have around 18 kids by myself and that is pretty manageable. I know that so many teachers on this board, however, have 25+ kids by themselves. I don't know how they do it!!!

If you have good parent involvement in your school you can always ask for volunteers to come and help out during guided reading time. I have never done that because I find it easier to just do it myself, but many teachers have had success with parent helpers.

11. backtoK

backtoK Rookie

Aug 25, 2011

I have never had an aide either. Class size usually runs 18-23.

12. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 25, 2011

Our kg. teachers get an aide once they hit either 30 or 31 students..depending on how the principal reads the prerequisite for how many students a teacher has to have before an aide will be hired.

13. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Sep 3, 2011

No aides here in California either. I always had one in Head Start, they are so wonderful! My class size is 21 now, but in another district I was in the class size was 30. I had 32 kinders without an aide, and to top it off, I was a newly opened classroom, so the existing teachers gave me all of their favorites! That was a year to remember! :p

14. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Sep 3, 2011

never had an assistant

15. dxj6482

dxj6482 Rookie

Sep 4, 2011

As of Friday I have 36 alone! The other K room is at 35! The school district is going to supposedly add another room, but who knows when. I am taking it hour by hour, and day by day! I feel your pain!!!!

16. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Sep 4, 2011

what does your curriculum look like? I just don't see 36 kinders in a room and much learning occuring. That spreads the teacher too thin.

17. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2011

We have one aide that is shared between 4 classes - she mainly does prep work, is assigned to each class during it's computer lab time, and pulls the lowest of the low kids for intervention groups. She isn't in the classroom, pretty much ever.

18. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 4, 2011

I typically have anywhere from 11-14 students and have never had an assistant. I can do small groups because I do my own version of the daily 5 and the kids know exactly what to do that it makes it easy to work in small groups.

19. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 4, 2011

We share one between 6 kinder classes. She comes in about 3 times a week for about half of the guided reading time and pulls a group - usually the lowest and works with them while the teacher has small groups, She is suppose to monitor the rest of the class, but that varies. The rest of the time we manage it ourselves with about 20-25 kids.