No ac

Discussion in 'General Education' started by nyteacher29, Sep 4, 2014.

1. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Sep 4, 2014

A few posts got me thinking....

How many of you work in rooms with no ac? My building has no ac except admins office and it's brutal. What are some ways you cope? I have fans and will start bringing in frozen water bottles.

Those of you who have ac, I'm incredibly jealous especially with the temps they are now

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 4, 2014

I have a window that is 13 inches in width and 17 inches in height. No AC. I don't have a thermometer, but it had to have been 100 degrees in my room this afternoon. (It was mid-80s outside.) Tomorrow will probably be worse. The high is 91 and tonight's overnight low is only 73. It is miserable.

Plus I have to yell to be heard over the drone of the fans. And I can't hear my kids when they ask questions because they are not loud enough.

Fall can come any time now.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2014

No AC here, other than in the office and the library. It's also supposed to be brutal here tomorrow. I told the kids to bring water bottles that they can keep refilling. My most important instruction, "Use deodorant!" Need to find another cool shirt to wear tomorrow.

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 4, 2014

We have it in most of our building but not at the elementary school. I didn't have it for the first couple weeks so I had class in the library where it was cooler.

6. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Sep 4, 2014

I'm in the South. I can't imagine not having AC. That's got to be brutal.

7. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Sep 4, 2014

My room has AC but no controls. It is so cold in my room that I leave with a migraine and aches everyday (for some reason, air conditioning makes me sick whereas cold/winter weather does not). My students (and I) are wearing hoodies in my room when it is 90 degrees outside but I was asked not to cover the vents when I suggested this as a solution.:rolleyes:

While I know how horrible students can get when it's hot, I personally prefer to be hot than cold. My nose starts to run, my head starts to pound and I feel awful the rest of the day once I get home from work.

8. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 4, 2014

And we are whining at my school and bringing heavy sweaters because our hall is frozen.

They seem to like to either boil or freeze us. I have a weather station in my room, so I know this isn't exaggeration.

I have some great ideas as to how they can eliminate some waste from their super tight budget...

9. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Sep 4, 2014

Nope, not in my school. It was HORRIBLE today. I sent one home overheated. Students are dressed to warmly. I think parents assume there is AC.

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 4, 2014

I had one go home, too! I still had several kids wearing sweatshirts at the end of the day! :dizzy:

11. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 4, 2014

I had no ac for two years. This is our first year with ac. Mostly I would just open windows and turn on the only fan that wasn't broken.

I always wore long sleeves too because of my tattoo.

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 4, 2014

I relate to the freezing in the A/C problems, too. My NC school was like that. You froze and dressed warmly in the summer. I was above the boiler, so in the winter, I was always hot.

But, even though I couldn't feel my toes at times, I never complained about being too cold. I prefer to be cold than hot.

13. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Sep 4, 2014

Thankfully, my building is less than 10 years old, with a VERY functional A/C system... my room is around 65-68 each day, and I love it. Those without A/C... you have my deepest sympathies. If we didn't have it, I would either drown in sweat, or die from 14-year-old armpit odor (whichever came first).

14. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 4, 2014

My classroom must be in the mid to low 60's! The AC unit is right by my classroom (on the roof) so my room gets first dibs on the cold air while it is being pumped to the rest of the school. I have to open up all 4 huge windows of mine (literally one full side of the classroom) and keep my classroom door to make it a comfortable 70*. It's not just me who can't stand it- my students are complaining too so I know I have to do something about it.

My headmaster walked by and saw this happening and popped in to say hello (he does this from time to time to see how the classes look and the kids), but if he asks me I'll be honest and tell him how much I appreciate having AC (I know I wouldn't be able to deal with the heat), but it's too cold for the students and myself.

I have also happily offered teachers to come teach in my classroom if their classrooms are too hot- I feel really bad about wasting all that cold air :(

15. chitown

chitown Companion

Sep 4, 2014

I have a window unit, but it hasn't been effective these last few days while I'm moving around teaching and we have more bodies in the room. Also, the halls don't have AC and some parts of the school that I have to travel to are just GROSS! I have a fan that I can use in my room, but I'm very reluctant to because I have two hearing impaired students and I don't want to make it any harder on them. The students are comfortable in the classroom, but I'm a fat sweaty mess!!!

16. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 4, 2014

We got air conditioning in all buildings in 1998. Before that, my room was up to 108 one afternoon. Ugh.

17. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Sep 4, 2014

I can't imagine not having AC. I've never heard of such a thing before! It's 95-100 every day this time of year; we would MELT!

18. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 4, 2014

Nope! AND none of my windows open....ANNNNNNNND my room is full of 12 smelly 6th and 7th graders.

I win! :lol:

19. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 5, 2014

No AC in any of the schools in the district where I grew up - with the exception of the cafeteria, the main office & the nurse's office in each building - and at the high school, the auditorium and the board of ed offices.

Lunch was unbearable, even with the AC, as they installed like two window units for each of the elementary (and middle school) cafeterias, and six for the HS.

At least in the classrooms there weren't masses of students running around to get food during the 20 minutes we had for lunch.

20. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 5, 2014

This will be me today. It is forecast to be the hottest day we have had in 2014. I spoke/implored them yesterday to please, please, please remember deodorant (although I also told them that I shouldn't need to remind them of that). We'll all be dripping, for sure, before we get very far into the day.

21. Rox

Rox Cohort

Sep 5, 2014

In southern California, my school doesn't have A/C. We are close to the beach, but my room is positioned on the side that doesn't get a breeze. One girl this year has an IEP with some temperature requirements, so the district had to order 5 window A/C units to be installed in each of her classrooms. Those teachers are quite happy about that!

22. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 5, 2014

If there were no A/Cs in our schools, everyone would die down here. In my office it's either really cold or hot. I would much rather be cold and wear a sweater then be too hot.

23. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 5, 2014

This week, temps have hovered around 100 degrees. Air conditioning is a MUST!

One year, the A/C unit in my classroom broke. I survived for a day, but the next day I had admin. move me to an empty classroom. The temp was well over 90 degrees in my classroom. Pure misery (especially in a shirt and tie).

Every classroom in my district (actually, I'm pretty sure every classroom here in the Central Valley) has A/C.

24. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 5, 2014

I think my headmaster must have had them turn up the temperature- today it was much more comfortable and I didn't even have to open my door or the windows. I hope it can stay like that from now on :D

25. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 5, 2014

My ONE window is smaller than a box fan. And I have 33 6th graders. I feel that I win :p

26. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 5, 2014

My room was 86 degrees at 7 am. At 3:30, after having 33 students and myself in it, I know it was well over 100. Outdoors, it is currently 92, feels like 98.
    My one window is smaller than a box fan.

My eyes were sweating.

M-I-S-E-R-Y

27. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 5, 2014

We all survived, but didn't challenge ourselves very much today. Can't wait until the storms come through and everything cools down.

28. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 5, 2014

It is thundering here right now. It has already dropped 3 degrees. In about 10 minutes. They are heading your way! (Well, if you are in lower Ontario, that is!)

29. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 5, 2014

I refuse to complain about the heat since I will be whining and moaning when it's -10 degrees outside with 2 feet of snow in a few months :woot:

30. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 5, 2014

I don't turn on the ac often in December, January, and February, but I HAVE. People would protest outside of the schools if we didn't have ac.

31. Securis

Securis Cohort

Sep 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxSLbpAwibg

32. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 5, 2014

:dizzy:

:sorry:

So ridiculous!

33. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Sep 5, 2014

the building our school is in has had broken ac since the end of last year. our front office has one very strong window fan but the rest of us in saunas with really loud box fans given to us by buildings and ground staff.

B & G office is FREEZING so if there is no ac next week I will threaten to bring my kiddos (16-20 yrs old) over there to meet. I doubt I have the guts to actually do it, but I love the idea.

Actually today it felt like maybe the ac was working for a brief minute. ...I'll see on Monday. I feel bad because I get grumpy and nasty with my students. It's not their fault that when it's super hot I get super grumpy. I just wish I could remember that BEFORE i start growling at them.

34. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Sep 5, 2014

I just can't even comprehend this! It has been right around 100 every day this week, but it's always 72 in my classroom. I would have a hard time teaching in that heat....

35. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Sep 6, 2014

My ac broke in my room this week. It was fixed on Wednesday, but for monday/tuesday I was shuffling around the school using other teachers classrooms because it was too hot. The high during the day can be 90-100 outside. I refuse to not have AC. I wouldn't be able to focus and neither would my students most likely.

36. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 6, 2014

I just read this thread, then switched to Facebook to catch up. The first thing in my news feed was from a local TV station. Here are the first two sentences:
    "(CITY) experienced its hottest day of the year, so far, hitting 93 Friday. The heat, along with lots of humidity, led to severe thunderstorms."

I knew it was the hottest day. This last week has been the hottest week by far. Thanks Mother Nature for waiting until school started :rolleyes: We've had a very cool summer. Luckily, the storms didn't start until after dismissal. The humidity got a whole lot worse then.

37. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Sep 6, 2014

My favorite is when the news says to stay in doors because it's so hot. I laugh because my classroom is hotter than it is outside!

38. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Sep 6, 2014

I had no AC for years, and when we finally did get it, the controls were in my room, which meant that the hotter it was outside, the colder it was inside. My students brought hoodies and sweaters to wear in English class. In winter, my room was so hot, the kids wore shorts and sandals to school. Now, I have class in computer labs and one of them is freezing cold and the other is stifling hot - and they wonder why the machines in the hot lab are always on the fritz!

39. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Sep 6, 2014

That rings so true. At our house, I have strict rules about when the computer must be turned off if the temp and humidity are too high and the AC is situated elsewhere. My son moans that the computer gets preferential treatment, and he is about right. Worse than the heat is having to buy a new computer and trying to save everything off of the old one. Mother Nature just loves to nudge us, doesn't she? :rolleyes:

40. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 7, 2014

No AC in my school. I live in Wisconsin, so if we did have it, we would probably only turn it on in August, May, and June. It gets REALLY warm during those months, though. My classroom is upstairs, and we have one small window that only opens halfway (it's in the corner of the room, and only about 2' x 1'). It's so uncomfortable. Thursday was the worst day. It was about 90 degrees outside, so you can just imagine how gross my small classroom was with 25 students crammed in.

We have 8 schools in my district, and 3 of them do not have AC. Voters recently passed a referendum for building upgrades around the district, and I was praying that one of them would be for AC in the 3 remaining schools. No such luck!

41. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Sep 7, 2014

No AC in my school, either. I'll wear a dress or skirt on really hot days to kind of get a breeze up there, lol. Also, I drink lots of Vitamin Water Zero (the extra electrolytes help) and try not to move around too much.