NJ Teachers Help

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ninnee, Feb 23, 2015.

1. ninnee

ninnee Rookie

Feb 23, 2015

I am currently finishing up my senior field and will be graduating in may. My program is post bacc and my college will only certify me in elementary. I am able to receive certifiction in Art ( I know sort of useless) and MS Science. Should I apply now for a CE or wait until I graduate and apply for my CEAS. The board of ed is notorious for taking forever and I do not want to lose out on a possible job due to not having a certification. Any help is appreciated. Thank you all for your time.

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 23, 2015

The NJDOE gears up to get the CEAS load done when the colleges have graduation, to the point of putting other applications on the back burner. If you have already had your transcript evaluated for the certification in art and MS science, and if you have had your Praxis II scores sent to the NJDOE, then you could get your CE in those two, but you have to have your CE or CEAS in Elem. Ed. to teach MS science, so unless you want to teach art, there is no advantage to submitting for the CE now, IMHO. If you submit all at once, they tend to be more likely to be approved together, without getting misplaced. Most people who have a CE are alternate route, so that may not be the message you want to send, or maybe it doesn't matter.

4. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Feb 23, 2015

I assume you're applying for jobs in the fall? If so, you can write on your resume CEAS (expected May 2015). I don't think most districts will care that you don't have it in hand yet. If necessary, they can always put in a call to expedite it for you.

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 23, 2015

As a matter of fact, many districts will call to expidite. Just keep copies of all of your paperwork. Additionally, once submitted to the DOE, you will be able to look online to see what is happening. It will show that your paperwork is submitted and being processed.

6. bros

bros Phenom

Feb 23, 2015

Does your college let you apply for your license now? Mine allowed everyone doing Senior Field (student teaching) to apply the semester of, and required all students in senior field to have the paperwork submitted by the first of the final month of the semester, so they could send it off to Trenton after confirmation that the degree was going to be conferred.

7. ninnee

ninnee Rookie

Feb 23, 2015

Thank you both for your time.

@lynettstoy - Yor correct in the fact that I do not want to make it seem I am alternate route. I wasn't sure if it would have been better to just have the two CE's in hand. In your opinion it is best for me to wait until I graduate and be able to apply for the CEAS. I do have all my tests finished and required credits as well as the transcripts evaluated so I know I can be certified in these. Thank uoh for your time. When I called the NJ BOE there help was pretty pointless.

@Jersey girl teach - Yes I will be applying for the fall. I assumed I would have to write something like that but thank you for clarifying it.

This board is so helpful :)

8. ninnee

ninnee Rookie

Feb 23, 2015

@bros - I believe we went tk the same college. You atrended kean university correct? I applied for my Elementary certificate through kean. They will not let me apply for MS Science or Art.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 23, 2015

Did you only meet graduation requirements in elementary for your school? In what area did you student teach?

Could you just take the additional Praxis tests and apply for additional certs without getting Kean involved?

10. bros

bros Phenom

Feb 24, 2015

http://teachercert.kean.edu/home

contact them - they deal with the certification. You can download the form there. You should be able to apply, unless they changed things in the last two years, knowing Kean, they did.

11. ninnee

ninnee Rookie

Feb 25, 2015

Hi Czacza - in kean I only in elementary. I'm currently teaching in first grade. All the praxis tests are taken for science and art. I just want sure whether to apply for a CE now or wait. I'm scared the DOE will take forever getting my application processed and if I find a job they will not consider me since I have no cert in hand. Thank you for your response.

12. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Feb 25, 2015

When are you graduating? I'd just wait for the ceas. You can put pending on resumes like someone else suggested.

13. bros

bros Phenom

Feb 26, 2015

Most jobs will let you state that your certification is pending - and Kean's licensing office will provide a letter stating that you will be graduating and paperwork has been sent to the DoE certifying you in <subject>

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 26, 2015

There are many districts who don't look at 'certification pending' on equal footing as a teacher with license in hand. When you are looking at the real possibility of many, many experienced, educated candidates all vying for a single position, those who have the license are preferable over those who who have just applied for certification(which CAN and DOES take a while!) NJ is a competitive climate...the less objections/questions a candidate's hireability presents, the better.

15. bros

bros Phenom

Feb 27, 2015

Yeah, but I am just saying.

I filed the paperwork for my certification with my university's certification office end of August 2013, they sent out the paperwork December 2013, got my certification sometime in February 2014. Though the wait time is always less for winter versus spring completion.

16. ninnee

ninnee Rookie

Feb 27, 2015

Hi all. Thanks for all the replies. I agree that putting in for my CE makes no sense.

Bros- kean will not let me put in for anything other than elementary since I didn't take the science or Art courses their.

I did call the DOE again and supposedly I can put in now for my CEAS and when I graduate send that in and they will issue it (however long that takes). It's all so confusing lol.

17. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Feb 27, 2015

Are you getting elementary K-5?
    Sorry if posted.

Do you have enough credits of art and science to get you certified?

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 27, 2015

:thumb: good for you. So paperwork in hand in February shouldn't have affected your job search since the job openings dont heat up until the spring....and subbing doesn't require it. By the time there were openings for the next school year it seems y ou no longer had to list 'pending'.

19. ninnee

ninnee Rookie

Feb 28, 2015

Hey there. No problem. I will be certified in elementary. As for art and science I have enough credits. Transcripts were reviewed by the state and they would issue my CE for art. The science I have to wait for my Elementary.