NJ: Private school experience counting for certification

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by jadorelafrance, May 2, 2016.

1. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

May 2, 2016

To New Jersey teachers:

I was wondering if anyone knows if private school experience counts as teaching experience for nj teacher certification.

I have a friend seeking certification who has a pa license but has not taught in pa public schools in probably 7-10 years, but has however been working in a nj private school for the past 5 years. A cert was not mandatory for the job, but this person's pa cert is still valid. Will this person's experience count for the two full-time experience (only the last 4 years of teaching count)? This person is seeking a standard cert and has multiple masters degrees in their two specialities and is very highly qualified and has met every other requirement and passed all the tests.
    I plan on telling my friend to call njdoe to find out for certain, but I was wondering if anyone had any insight (I also know it can be a pain getting in contact with these people - been through it!) Thanks!!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 2, 2016

Your friend should call the DOE.

4. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

May 3, 2016

My husband was able to get certified using private school experience but call the DOE to double check.

5. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

May 3, 2016

Thanks you two!! Definitely will do :)

6. physteach

physteach Companion

May 16, 2016

Public schools are not required to count any private school or out of state experience. Some will be able to negotiate half the time (eg. if you taught for 6 years, you can start with 3 years of experience counted). It is all in how you negotiate it.