NJ Non-teaching Job at School District - Help!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by bartleby, Jun 29, 2015.

1. bartleby

bartleby Rookie

Jun 29, 2015

Hey All - I havent been around as much as I have been working a lot and stuff, but I have sort of been chronicling my voyage to becoming a physics teaching on here over the past 6 months to a year on an off. I work in IT right now and have been getting my alternate route cert. I am at the stage where I can look for jobs, and I have had a couple interviews. I am currently in a waiting period of an 8th grade physical science teaching job too. Anyway, a district really close to me was advertising for an analyst position in their IT department, similar to what I do now, but with better exposure to teaching, administration, the environment. I applied and interviewed and they offered me the job almost immediately. I admittedly was a little unprepared for an offer. They said I would be part of the pension program (for whatever state that it is in right now in New Jersey). So my question is, assuming there still is a pension when I get older, if I move from a non-teaching position to a teaching position, do my years in a non-teaching position contribute to working toward retiring with the pension? Even if I switch schools?

Thanks for any help. I feel confused at the moment.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2015

Yes. Your time in the IT position counts toward pension if you change jobs, schools or district as long as you are employed in a NJ public school district. Congrats on the offer!

4. bartleby

bartleby Rookie

Jun 29, 2015

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it. Do you think that an IT position in a school district could in any way help me see what teaching is like? It would never, ever be the same as teaching, but as far as exposure and seeing and understanding...

5. bartleby

bartleby Rookie

Jun 29, 2015

Any thoughts? I am really not sure what to do....

6. CanIteachPhysic

CanIteachPhysic Rookie

Jun 29, 2015

I think working at the school cannot hurt. Once the district begins to know you, assuming they like you, it should work in your favor, but that assumes they have an opening.

Did you have to take the Chemistry Praxis to be qualified for the Physical Science position or was it something different because it is middle school?

7. bartleby

bartleby Rookie

Jun 29, 2015

The science dept head said that the physics cert qualifies me to teach the class/content. I was a little questioning of it, but he would know wayy more than me.

I don't think I will get the time to see how the middle school position pans out before I have to decide on the IT one, so I am trying to figure out the value of my current job vs the school one. I am very, very unsure of what I want or what to do.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2015

We have a tech coordinator who works with teachers in our tech lab. This person does teach or coteach some tech lessons. The tech support person interacts with our staff regarding tech issues but rarely interacts with kids.
    I think any way you can get your foot in the door is good....good luck with your decision!