NJ Mathematics teacher (soon to be)- Job search

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by gkis, Jun 23, 2015.

1. gkis

gkis Rookie

Jun 23, 2015

Here's my situation and I hope you can offer some advice: My CE was denied last year, I needed 8 more advanced Math credits in order to get it. I have now completed them, just waiting on the grade of the last class and will re-submit for CE in Mathematics. I have already passed my PRAXIS.

Unfortunately the way I see it, my last class' grade won't be available until beginning of July. Then I submit transcript to DoE and wait maybe another month or so until they issue my CE- summer is over.

I am wondering if I should/can try some local private/catholic schools. I have 15 years experience as data analyst and started working at the local community college as Adjunct instructor in Computer Basics in January 2015. I also have a few years of Math tutoring in my resume. I have a Bachelors in Economics and another Bachelors in information Systems.

How do you see my chances? Thanks in advance.

3. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Jun 23, 2015

From my experience, when I moved to NJ, I had an out of state certificate and I could not even get an interview until I had my NJ certificate in hand. However, I know that a lot of charter schools will hire without a certificate in hand, and some will even hire you and allow you up to a year to obtain your certificate. I work at a charter school that has hired teachers in your situation. If you want more information on the school specifically, PM me. They have multiple campuses within NY and NJ.

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 23, 2015

gkis - Do you have the correspondence with the DOE that laid out a plan for the courses you took which would then qualify you for your CE? If so, with transcripts and Praxis scores in hand, you may be able to apply and put pending in the blank. Contrary to popular belief, the DOE is working through the summer, just not taking on evaluating transcripts, etc. You must be an open case with an ID number to access.

I had applied for my MS ELA endorsement, and we disagreed on one of my English courses. I eventually took a CLEP exam, which showed up as credit on a community college transcript, and once I sent that in, it was a very short time until the credential was issued - in the middle of the summer. Granted, I have other credentials, but I think the correspondence and paper trail was what moved it along.

I did send an email once I knew the transcript was ready just to give the DOE a head's up that I had completed the requirements. Best of luck.

5. gkis

gkis Rookie

Jun 23, 2015

Thanks, vickylin. I do have an open ID number, right now it states status Denied though. I also have the correspondence with my case manager as I was in contact with her, making sure the courses I am taking will satisfy the requirements.

Once my last grade is in, I will make sure to email her again and give her heads up. Thanks!

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 23, 2015

Once grades have posted, request an official transcript be sent to the DOE. I would also request one for myself. At that point, another heads up to DOE that the transcript is officially on the way will leave them aware and looking for it. FWIW, check that your latest grades ARE posted before requesting the transcript - sometimes you will see the grades before they are listed on the transcript. I learned this after receiving my masters!

NJ DOE gets a bad rap because people think they aren't working in the summer because they won't evaluate transcripts, but they are there, working, trying to get the credentials ready for the newly graduated teachers, as well as dealing with situations like yours. While I am always vigilant, lest the time go too long, I am aware that I wouldn't want to be the person facing the onslaught of applications from the spring semester.

For what it is worth, hiring goes on throughout the year, so don't hang it up in August and figure that you lost out this year. Leave replacements are excellent for getting your foot in the door.

7. gkis

gkis Rookie

Jul 9, 2015

Finally my CE- Teacher of Mathematics is issued - now let's hope getting it is not going to turn into the easiest part of becoming a teacher :)

8. taylornathaniel

taylornathaniel Rookie

Jul 25, 2015

Question, is it that difficult to get a teachers position in Jersey. In New York there are tons of positions available.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2015

It's a tough market in NJ. There are not TONS of openings and there can be hundreds of resumes for a posted opening.