NJ Contract Non Renewal Unemployment

Discussion in 'General Education' started by njSPEDteacher, Jun 22, 2020.

1. njSPEDteacher

njSPEDteacher New Member

Jun 22, 2020

Hi everyone! I feel like I see conflicting information, so I was wondering if anyone has any personal experience with this. I found out a few weeks ago that my contract will not be renewed for the upcoming school year. I had been in the district for 3 years. All my observations were great, but this past year I moved to a new position where my co-teacher had issues with me (administration knows she is difficult to work with). Anyway, verbally when I was told over Zoom that my contract would not be renewed, my P said that is was because I had trouble getting along with this woman (she apparently complained about me) and that maybe another district would be a better fit. I truly believe it is more budgetary and they are looking to save money by hiring someone cheaper (they were paying my to go back to school to get certification for this position, so I was/would be making a lot of movement on the guide and I was already fairly high up. Plus my family was all covered under the health benefits, and next year I was going to be able to put them under the dental plan). Anyway, I have the official letter from my school district and all it says it that 'this letter is to formally advise you that your contract will not be renewed" for the upcoming school year and thanks me for my years of service. They did already hire someone for my position (they are cheaper- shocking!).

My real question is am I eligible for unemployment?

Thank you for any insight!!

Side note: I do know all about the option to resign and chose not to do that.

3. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jun 22, 2020

I believe you are eligible for unemployment since you did not choose to leave the job. I was non-renewed this year as well, I was able to receive unemployment. From a FB teacher group I'm in, so did many others.

It's often a 'perk', so to speak, of not resigning.

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 22, 2020

NJ teacher here. Yes, you are eligible for unemployment, and the sooner you apply, the better, since you will get about a month of the extra $600/week due to the pandemic, or at least that is how it appears to me. I think that ends the end of July. Be prepared to do all of this online, since it is virtually impossible to get through on the telephone. My husband had to shut down his practice during the pandemic, so I have had to deal with them this spring. Best of luck. Keep it simple when applying - your contract was non-renewed. Your insurance will probably run until the end of August, and then you will need to make some decisions about coverage. Assuming you don't get a job, your unemployment will last 6 months.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  5. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Jun 22, 2020

I see no reason why you wouldn't be eligible. I am sorry they did that to you. Co teaching is really tricky. I can't imagine. It takes 2 really unique individuals to make it work. I do not think I could do it. I team taught for many years, but we had separate rooms/ subjects which I know is different. Also, my 2nd yr, I ended up w/ a gem for a TT partner and we stayed together even after our kids had grown up. We are still good friends. If we had been in the same room, I am not sure if we could have done it.