NJ Certified/ with possibilty of relocating to Virginia

Discussion in 'General Education' started by yhiyha15, Jan 25, 2011.

1. yhiyha15

yhiyha15 New Member

Jan 25, 2011

Hi everyone,
    I just graduated from GCU in NJ and I am still awaiting my NJ certificates. At this time I have only started to apply to one job so far. To cut a long story short, I am dating a guy from Virginia and am wondering if anyone has gone through the process of relocating and getting VA certification and of course taken the addition 2 tests required for VA. I want to make sure I cover all of my bases as taking those additional tests costs money. I am wondering if anyone has any advice for me on this or has gone through this process.

3. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jan 26, 2011

I got certified in VA, so I have gone through all the testing. It's a pain, but the tests aren't too bad... the most obnoxious part is the cost. I have a teammate that went to school in PA and lived in NJ, but took a job down here. She was having a LOT of trouble finding a job up in that area... down here we always have tons of job openings. I know that we have two new elementary schools and a new high school opening next year, in addition to multiple other openings in the county (like I already know of at least 3 job vacancies at my school for next year).

What area of VA are you looking at? If he is in Northern Virginia, you should have pretty good luck finding a job if you look at Prince William and Fairfax counties.

I would make the jump. My friend is in the same position as you with her bf... they have been doing the NJ to VA thing for two years now, and it's getting to be a lot. One of them makes the trip every other weekend.

4. yhiyha15

yhiyha15 New Member

Jan 26, 2011

He lives in Prince William County actually. My only concern is im nervous. I mean I havent even had an interview up here yet so my issue isnt leaving a job. If I go through this process and take the tests my issue is what happenes next. I would hate to go down there and just assume he is gonna have me more in ya know. I live at home in NJ so my concern is do I wait until I would have a job and then get a place of my own down there and then give everything a real shot or am I just over thinking everything.
    Also, it looks like I could take the the one 2 part test on computer up in NJ but the VRA is only paper and I would have to come down to VA to take that one. NJ only demands the Praxis II, and even though I started looking into the additional tests and printing stuff off...Is there anything that as a NJ school goer...I am not going to know with these tests? Any suggestions of what to look over for them?

5. isthisrob

isthisrob Rookie

Jan 26, 2011

Being an unemployed teacher in NJ with no hope of leaving in the next few years and considering that we have an anti-public education governor, my advice to you would be:

GO!!!!

6. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 26, 2011

I believe you just need to get your certificate first (i.e. pass the praxis II's)

7. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jan 26, 2011

I am in Prince William. Three girls on my team were from out of state. They got the job and started before they ever took the VCLA or VRA. There are NO jobs up in NJ from what I hear, so I would say to do it for yourself... not for him. It's tough, but I also relocated to where I could find a job. As I said, we are opening several new schools. We have 133 certified vacancies... and it's only January! I don't know where else you would honestly have that many openings.

I say take the risk and go with it. If you don't move in with him though, I would definitely suggest a roommate... this area is very expensive! But if you were to work at one of the new elementary schools, those areas are WAY cheaper because they are further away from the city.

By the way... just because you apply and interview down here does not mean you need to take the job if you get it. Worry about things as they come!

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 26, 2011

I did the reverse...I was initially certified and licensed in Virginia and moved to NJ.

What university is GCU? I'm not familiar with those initials.

9. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jan 26, 2011

I would move. I had a friend also move to VA. She had no problem getting a job. She often told me, "getting a job in VA was not at all like trying to get a job in MN." You want that first job and experience.

10. yhiyha15

yhiyha15 New Member

Jan 26, 2011

Georgian Court University. Its in Lakewood NJ

11. yhiyha15

yhiyha15 New Member

Jan 26, 2011

Oh wow...the fact that they didnt have to take the tests first makes me feel better.
    yeah i have no problem commuting. i wouldnt know anyone down there so i would have no idea how to even find a room mate. lol. I do want to do it for me so that is why I dont want to think i would even move in with him. But I know plenty of people who have been looking for a long time. I am only 28 and have no issue with relocating at all. Thanks alot.:)

12. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jan 26, 2011

I think they had their whole first year in VA to take them. We are a Title 1 school, so I think we have to have them done faster than other schools.

In regards to roommates, you could do craigslist, or when I started with the county a few years ago I know they had a list of county employees that were renting out rooms (I don't know if they still have that or not). Or by any chance, is anyone that you graduated with having trouble finding a job too? You two could think about relocating together! Think of it as a fun little adventure.

13. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 27, 2011

Georgian Court, it's a women's only college (They only allow men to take classes at night, I believe)

14. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

Jan 27, 2011

Reciprocal License

Virginia has a reciprocal agreement with most states. I moved from NY to VA and simply transferred my credential to VA. It cost $25.00.