NJ areas of demand

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by njeledteacher, Aug 6, 2008.

1. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Aug 6, 2008

Are there any teaching specialties that are in demand in NJ? I have a degree in science, but do not want to teach it. I know there is a shortage of science teachers, but is there anything I should pursue? Especially at the elementary level?

3. MrTeacher

MrTeacher Rookie

Aug 7, 2008

I don't know about in demand... but I've seen science like you said, some math too but those two subjects are usually middle school-high school.

elementary in NJ is just brutal =(... at least for me. I've seen quite a few art/music/p.e. if that's what you meant by specialties. I think special ed. is usually an area that people look for as well but the spectrum of special ed jobs can be quite varied from what I've seen.

4. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 7, 2008

I would try to go for science since you're not certified in anything else. As long as you have a teaching job, that really is a start-- and you'll have a better chance of getting a job teaching if its in science or math (I've seen alot of schools in NJ hiring for science and math).

Once you become certified in something else, you can see if your school could possibly teach that subject instead.

But without certification, you don't have too many choices.

5. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Aug 7, 2008

YOu do have an advantage being a guy. I have seem many positions in elem. ed given to a guy over a girl. Even someone who is more qualified.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2008

Multi-certifications is always good. If you have science, consider adding on a math or sped cert...it makes you more flexible in terms of placement for a district.

7. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Aug 9, 2008

Thanks, I think that is the route I might go. Although it's hard to keep sticking it out for this long.