NJ/Applitrack

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by SCTeacher23, May 7, 2013.

1. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

May 7, 2013

For those in NJ particularly - if you are applying for a position via Applitrack, do you just apply there or do you e-mail the principal as well? Also, sometimes on Applitrack it says the specific school name, and sometimes it does not specify. In that case, do you send a follow up e-mail to HR? Or do you then just apply to Applitrack? What is appropriate?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 7, 2013

It's a tight market. Unless it says don't email, do it all plus hard copy...

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 7, 2013

Yup! I know my district won't accept paper copies, but it says so right on applitrack. In that case, I'd definitely email all of the P's and HR people in addition to the application. Good luck!!

5. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

May 7, 2013

Thanks for the advice! My current district is one of the few in NJ that don't seem to use Applitrack so I wasn't completely sure of the procedure! :)

6. kit_kate27

kit_kate27 Rookie

May 7, 2013

I'm also applying in NJ! Have you guys ever heard back to interview for an Applitrack position? I've applied to 30+ in the past two months and I have not heard a single thing from any of them. I feel like I'm sending my resume into a black hole!

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 7, 2013

Yes, school districts do interview. Keep in mind, there are hundreds of applications for every one opening in many districts....and you are in competition with highly qualified teachers who have experience...it's a tough market.

8. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

May 7, 2013

I actually did hear back from a position that I applied to via AppliTrack last summer. I only applied via AppliTrack for that position and didn't contact HR or the Principal. I applied to probably 150-200 positions and only got 3 interviews! I didn't get my first interview until the end of July. I did get one of the positions, but it's only a part time position, so I'm hoping for a full time position for next year! It is very tough. I'm definitely going to take the advice above though, and send follow up e-mails as well as AppliTrack. Hopefully I'll get more interviews this way, but it's really tough competition! I know most of the new hires in my district either had a lot of experience or started off as a LTS/Sub.

9. teach42

teach42 Comrade

May 7, 2013

Yes, I got a bunch of interviews applying through applitrack last year so no, it doesn't go into a black hole. It was always the supervisors responding, not the principal or HR so it's not always the principal or HR looking at them. Can't hurt to email them though.

10. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

May 7, 2013

My husband has been filling out the apps on applitrack and also mailing/emailing them to districts. He have yet to hear anything from any of the positions he's applied from though.

11. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 7, 2013

My district only accepts apps on applitrack, so I know they do interview from those apps. :)

12. CreativeTeachR

CreativeTeachR Companion

May 7, 2013

I wishing... hoping.. and praying a door opens soon for me :(

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 7, 2013

Different state, but I've had several interviews from Applitrack schools. At least half of the interviews I've been on were from Applitrack apps.

14. houseofbooks

houseofbooks Companion

May 8, 2013

I'm in NJ, too! Fun market, huh? :p

I always email the principals unless it specifically says not to. I have an interview this Friday afternoon with an Applitrack district, but I also sent out emails to the administration. I've had interviews with Applitrack districts in the past as well. :) Complete the application, but then send a quick and friendly follow up. I've never ever had a negative response from a principal so don't feel awkward about introducing yourself.

15. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

May 8, 2013

I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to email the principal.

As for applitrack, I did think for a long time that my applications just went into a black hole, but last year I had a couple of interviews from applitrack applications including the one that led to my current position. So, yes, somebody does actually read them.

Personally, I found all those applitrack essays annoying. I mean, I would bet a million that virtually no one reads those things. Fortunately, you can usually recycle them as districts tend to ask the same questions.

Good luck.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 8, 2013

Are you applying in NJ?:confused:

17. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

May 8, 2013

I spoke to a principal today and she said that she looks at everything on Applitrack...that honestly surprised me but she can't be the only one who does that! :) Good luck, NJ is a tough market.

18. kellian1

kellian1 Rookie

May 13, 2013

When I graduated 2 years ago I probably sent over 100+ applitrack applications. I originally was sending an email directly to the principal as well (if I could find an email address). I didn't find it all that helpful and actually got a few responses that said they only consider people through applitrack.

I was a big skeptic as well on the entire applitrack thing, but I was called in for probably 7-8 interviews through the system and was finally able to get a Social Studies teaching job (FT perm) this year in NJ.

My advice would be to keep at it and make sure your resume stands out!! My resume was rather unique as I had some quotes from my letters of reference on the left hand (about 1/4 of the page) side and all my resume information on the right (the remaining 3/4). I'm also am a career changer and I'm a little older than someone right out of college (I was told that helped). I was pretty much hired right after my interview a few days later, didn't even need to do a sample lesson and this is my 1st teaching job, so I had no experience beforehand.

NJ is REALLY, REALLY tough, took me close to 2 years to find it and in that time there were days of despair, sadness, looking to move out of state and why did I go to school to be a teacher when it's so hard to get a job!! Just keep plugging along, stay at it and make sure you find a way stand out from the pack. :)