NJ Alternate Route Special Ed Teacher.

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by Demet Bilter, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Demet Bilter

Demet Bilter Rookie

Aug 25, 2005

Hello everyone,

I have a question...I am interested in getting a special ed job through the alternate route..( I hold CEAS in Elementary Education).Does anyone know anything about this? I talked to a principal at a charter school and she informed me that instead of taking the Praxis, I have to have 6 credits in Special Ed and then I apply through my county board of ed. I can't find ANY information regarding this on the NJ ed website......Does anyone know which 6 credits i need to take??
    Any kind of help is greatly appriciated.

Best regards,

Demet

3. shouts

shouts Companion

Sep 1, 2005

That's right... I think it's in the latest reg iteration. You have to be enrolled in a certificate program. You get your C.E. after 6 credits, your C.E.A.S. after 17. Rutgers offers a new non-degree special ed. program - I just enrolled.

A district just hired me (same situation, CEAS in elementary ed) as a Special Ed. teacher with an emergency certificate. You are allowed to go this route if you are enrolled in a program and will finish the 6 credits by January.

Good luck!

4. mck588

mck588 New Member

Oct 19, 2005

Any more advice?

I am also interested in this. Have you learned more about it? Rider College has an Alternate Route Special Ed program, but I would like to know if any other colleges do the same.

5. wanateac

wanateac Rookie

Jun 8, 2006

Hi shouts,
    Will districts hire you for an alternate route special education if you have a CE in Elementary Education?

6. shouts

shouts Companion

Jun 8, 2006

I doubt it... there's enough teachers who have been through student teaching that are looking for jobs. Of course, if you have a lot of experience working with the population and have been subbing in the district, they might consider it.

I think that alternate special ed route is only open to people with their C.E.A.S, though.

7. wanateac

wanateac Rookie

Jun 9, 2006

Great

Wow, I didn' realize my chances for employment were slim to none. Has anybody taken Praxis 2 Middle School Science?

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 9, 2006

wanateac, ask about Praxis II Middle School Science on the Single Subject Tests subforum of Examinations for Teachers, okay?

9. bnewsome

bnewsome Rookie

Jun 13, 2006

It is extremely complicated in Georgia as well to change careers and have someone assist you in your credentialing. The licensing company gives the person inquiring a robotic answer. There is a need for teachers, but it is difficult for new teachers changing careers to know which avenue is correct especially when it comes to the requirement of praxis 1 and praxis 11 before you are allowed in the classroom. I am in Atlanta.