NJ Alternate Route Questions

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by gkis, Aug 17, 2016.

1. gkis

gkis Rookie

Aug 17, 2016

I have a few questions regarding what is ahead of me and the path from CE ->Provisional -> Standard certificate in NJ. It is my understanding that I need to complete the 200 hours courses by July 2017, as the procedure is being changed and the New Pathways will be significantly longer. My plan is to enroll in classes ASAP, does anyone have recommendations about which program/location is better. Do you know if they offer them online or it is only on campus?

Also am I correct in my understanding that if I get CE in other disciplines during this year, all CEs will become Standard once my Math Certificate becomes Standard?

Thank you!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2016

OK, I didn't do New Pathways for several reasons, not the least of which was the cost. I went with Rutgers CESP program, https://cesp.rutgers.edu/nj-alternate-route-teaching-program. Have I regretted it? Nope, and I'll tell you why. The graduate credits I could have earned through New Pathways would not have taken me down the road I wanted to go. I earned my M.Ed. in ESL, and my TOSD. Other than adding grad credits, it wasn't where I wanted to go. Given that I already owned a lot of grad credit, and was well on my way to earning more, I didn't see the credit at a university that was inconvenient to me, and not one I would personally choose to be an advantage. The money I didn't pay New Pathways paid for a big chunk of what I have chosen to take.

As for the second question, yes.

4. gkis

gkis Rookie

Aug 17, 2016

Thank you! I am considering Rutgers as well-schedule seems convenient for me and they do have locations that might work. I was also accepted in a MEd program online and am going to start in the Spring, so the grad credits from New Pathways is not something that interests me.....so onto passing those Praxis exams for some other subjects :)

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2016

I just want anyone who comes upon this thread to know that I don't think that my experience is the road map for everyone, but there are different routes to take, and it behoves you to take a hard look at all of them before settling on one. Know what each method brings to the table, whether or not the expense is justified to you, and what your long term plans may be. I certainly think it is worth looking into if you are not close to the university involved, because you usually can't transfer in graduate credit from one university to another. That said, I really loved the Rutgers program, and starting it as the school year starts is perfect. Best of luck.

gkis likes this.