Nintendo DS

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Jem, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 26, 2008

Does anyone have one? I want one. I want to hear games you love, the color you have, etc. Oh-my husband is about to kick me off......

3. irx7fani

irx7fani Rookie

Oct 27, 2008

I bought a white ds lite the first day it came out and I think I use it the most out of my consoles .I have PS3, Wii, Xbox 360, and PSP so the DS has some competition. The reason why I tend to use it a lot is because you can use it anywhere. Like if you go to post office where they have long lines, bring your ds and just play a quick game of tetris or something. Plus it has a lot of games where you can just pick up and play, and doesn't require a lot of time to learn. The best game I recommend is "New Super Mario Bros." Very good game, they redone all the levels and added new things. I wouldn't recommend a PSP because their games are a little more complex. My girlfriend who is not a gamer, usually play w/ my DS and Wii . She usually plays the mario games and "Cooking Mama." She doesn't even want to touch the other stuff because she said it's for serious gamers only. So i guess she's put off my the complex buttons layout or whatever.

However, if you want something you and your husband can play, get a Wii and Mario Galaxy. Super fun and it's really cute.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 27, 2008

My 2 older kids each have a DS. I must admit I don't see the appeal, but they love them. They're great for long car rides.

They're getting that Wii for Christmas... I can't WAIT to see their faces!

5. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Oct 27, 2008

I got one for my wife last Christmas. She plays it every night - Brain Age, Diner Dash, and some cake or bakery game. I think they have Guitar Hero for the DS and she wants that.

There's also this feature where two or more people in a room can write messages back and forth - kind of like texting but with actual handwriting. I can imagine you might find ways to use that in your classroom.

6. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Oct 27, 2008

I have one and I really enjoy the brain age games and Picross. It stimulates your brain and it's actually quite fun. If I can convince my DH he'll sometimes play with me : ) He thinks I'm a little dorkish when I'm playing it, but I think it's fun

7. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 27, 2008

Funny you mentioned the classroom, Sarge-I think they would be EXCELLENT for the classroom. I was looking at the games last night, and there are so many brain quiz ones, and word builder ones. I think the kids would have a blast with them.

8. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Oct 27, 2008

I have a black DS Lite. I like the games from the 80s like Zelda and Super Mario Bros. But I also really like the brain games - Brain Age, etc.

My DH's occupational therapist at the VA actually uses them with the Vision game to help combat veterans who have PTSD-related vision problems (such as my DH).

9. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 27, 2008

Thanks for posting this. Its on my possible Christmas present list, too. The list for myself, that is. haha. its in competition with a camcorder.

10. AlliBob

AlliBob Rookie

Oct 27, 2008

I have a pink DS lite. I got it for my birthday. I love it! I mainly play Super Mario Bros. and Mario Kart. I also have zoo tycoon and tetris. :D

11. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Oct 28, 2008

I have an original white ds lite with a pink camo I really enjoy the brain games. My fav is Flash Focus. It has really improved my vision I think. I am more quick to notice things now in my periphrial (Bad spelling mistake-plus I am fighting a bad cold) vision. The pac man games are cool and my son and husband really like the battleship game.

12. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Oct 29, 2008

I'm a die-hard Animal Crossing fan. I loved it on Game Cube, even more on the DS, and I can't wait for it to come out for the Wii this month!

I got a DS just to play it! But I also like Mario, Picto-Cross, Brain Age, etc.

13. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Oct 29, 2008

I have a silver DS.
    Let's see if I can remember some of the games.
    Harry Potter (I have 3 different ones)
    Prince Caspian (Chronicals of Narnia)
    Nancy Drew (I have 3 different ones)
    Word Master
    Word Jong (this is really easy and fun)
    Jewel Quest (also another easy one and fun)
    Drawn to Life (this one I don't like so much)

That's all I can remember right now. I also have some Gameboy Advance games that work in the DS.