Nightmare Team

Discussion in 'General Education' started by REW, Apr 12, 2022.

1. REW

REW Rookie

Apr 12, 2022

I’ve been dealing with a nightmarish team this year. Extremely rigid. I’ve been attacked personally and professionally. To make a long story short, I told admin on my intent to return I was interested in changing grades and we’ve previous talked about it because I’ve reported and documented the issues with this person & the team. Since she has been in this grade level long term, admin decided it would be best if I moved to another grade level. I get along with those teachers better anyways. Our school is growing and could really move to any grade level.

long story short, rumor mill has it, the queen bee is leaving. I’m psyched. Maybe I could stay in my grade level? But on the flip side, I feel like I’ve pushed her to this decision. I’m not a pushy person, but I will set and stick to my boundaries and will advocate for my students. Others come up to me all the time to say they can’t believe I stood up to her and they can’t imagine the retaliation I am getting. At the beginning of the year there was a lot, but she’s slowly backing off. I’ve never said anything rude or disrespectful, but it has come across that way (Ie: I don’t make paper folders for every single unit or do every single product based craft or project and it is viewed as offensive when they prepped a class set without even asking or telling me). I also have a different classroom management style. Ie: (a different team member) scolded a kid for not wearing her PE uniform, that she emailed mommy and told her, and blah blah blah until the girl (age 5) was crying. She wouldn’t let her participate in PE even though she had on a school polo. She also had black leggings with sparkles and told her they had to be solid black. I mentioned something to her during a break & she told me that’s the school rule and her mom should know better than to send her looking like that on a PE day. :(
    They all behave like this & tell me I coddle the kids in my class when I’m responsive their their learning needs. Not assigning carpet spaces and allowing flexible seating. I’m constantly told my kids aren’t ready for the next grade, but when I’ve talked to that grade level and shown work samples they aren’t concerned (of course that pissed them of also). The next grade gave me some pointer of things to work on, but weren’t concerned as they have another quarter and all summer. And they still give reminders of the same things I currently have to give reminders.

Is this my fault she leaving or considering it? It’s been a very hard year. I know I have a strong personality. I have strong conviction. I’ve really tried to be open minded. I know she is an adult who can make her own choices. I don’t want people to ever be fearful of me in that way or think I did anything to push her out. I know she’d throw me under the bus in a hot second. I also know she has a history of not playing nice with others who don’t do things like her. Most teachers have left or moved to other grades and I’ve been assured this isn’t the first time this has happened from admin.

3. creativemonster

creativemonster Cohort

Apr 12, 2022

Ugh. Sounds like it has been stressful. If you have already decided to move grades, done deal. If you want to let your admin (very quietly and without sharing info with anyone who might gossip about it) that you are interesting in staying if that team member is leaving, then do so - with the understanding that admin might have already planned with you on new grade team. But either way, please don't bother trying to second guess what that toxic person is thinking/feeling. She has already taken enough of your energy and focus. Not worth it. Spend all that great energy on your planning, and on your students and on whatever you want to do for yourself. Keep breathing!

CaliforniaRPCV likes this.
  4. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Comrade

Apr 15, 2022

That reason for change isn't going away.