Nieces coming from Japan; what should they do/see?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by 3Sons, Nov 8, 2015.

1. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Nov 8, 2015

My nieces, 20 and 22 years old, are coming from Japan to visit for about 10 days just after the new year. It will be their first trip out of the country. I'm in north New Jersey. I can obviously think of a few ideas (NYC, for example). Anyone have any other particular ideas?

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 8, 2015

Ask them if there are any foods or snacks they want to try. When I was in high school I became good friends with foreign exchange student from Japan. She liked to shop because stuff in Japan was a lot more than here.
    I met a couple other foreign exchange students South Africa & Germany. They both wanted to try Oreos. Lol!!!

Caesar753 likes this.
  4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 10, 2015

A football game
    The Liberty Tower and 9/11 museum n NYC
    A walk on the Jersey Boardwalk
    Walkway over the Hudson
    Philadelphia. Independence Hall, fun up the steps at the art museum like Rocky
    NJ Devils hockey

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 11, 2015

I'd help suggest places, but I don't know what's in your area of the US, other than museums, seeing a show on Broadway, the Jersey Shore.

This is in Pennsylvania, so I don't know how close it would be to where you are in Jersey, but I'd want to go to the Mutter Museum. It seems extremely fascinating.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 11, 2015

Wouldn't be in my top ten....

7. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Nov 11, 2015

Amish country!!! Head over to Lancaster County, which is a few hours from you.

They'd never see anything like that in Japan. NYC and beaches are nice, but they have stuff like that in Japan already - it's a very Western country.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 11, 2015

You've evidently never been to NJ...Or NYC. .Japan beaches are NOTHING like the Jersey shore..And NYC is THE CITY. .we do it like no one else

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 11, 2015

If there are any market days/trade days in the time frame of their visit, that would be a good place to people watch and to see regular every day culture. Plus, they could find really unique souvenirs.

Go to WalMart late at night! ;) :p

10. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Nov 11, 2015

I prefer Tokyo, myself.

11. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Nov 11, 2015

Oh, and I've been to NYC more times than I can count, and I spent several years in Japan.

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 12, 2015

The Mutter Museum probably wouldn't be in a list of top 10 to a lot of people. It's got some unique displays.

13. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2015

Thank you for all the suggestions -- I won't be too likely to spend a lot of time on the beach in January, despite their difference to Japanese beaches ;)

They also come from the middle of the mountains -- they've both been to Nagoya, but I don't think they've spent a lot of time in Tokyo. Personally, I find all cities have their own character and NYC will definitely be on the list because they can't really come from Japan and not see it (as for Japanese cities, Osaka is actually my favorite).

Thank you for the suggestion about foods, though! It made me realize that there's one very, very serious deficiency in the Japanese diet: they have no real bacon (it just doesn't exist in Japan, and you can't even bring bacon on the plane). We plan to hit a pancake house the day they get here.

I probably won't bring them to a football game, but they've both played basketball (the older one is the star of her college bb team), so I'll look into getting NBA or WNBA tickets.

Probably a musical also -- we were thinking the Lion King, since it's very visual and they don't know much English.

The Amish country idea is also really interesting. Not sure how it is in winter, though, since I've only visited in sping/summer -- are there still things to see/do?

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 13, 2015

3sons. The foreign exchange student from south Africa still talks about Oreos. Lol!! I think it is more fun them trying to tell you the food & figuring it out. Lol! They try to describe it. Lol!
    Food thing what about a cannolis or pizza from NYC. Lol!!!
    Lion king is awesome saw it years ago. They may have seen the movie so like you said it would make sense to them.

15. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Nov 13, 2015

Amish country is more about being there and experiencing seeing buggies and horses on the roads than seeing and doing things. There are indoor farmers markets in places like Bird-in-Hand. You can also tour an Amish house to get information on their lives, but I don't know how fluent your nieces are.

16. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2015

I generally agree about the figuring it out thing being more fun, but they actually barely know any English at all and we're all at least passably fluent in Japanese. And we'll definitely let them have a range of culinary experience -- we'd also planned on pizza. Cannolis are also a good idea. Maybe a good deli or something like that also.

Usually when we go to Japan they ask us to bring powdered mashed potatoes :D

As far as prices go, though, it's more expensive here than in Japan. Chocolate is about a third the price in Japan, alcohol is about half. Clothing is also less expensive there and of higher quality. It's not like the 80's/90's anymore.

17. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 13, 2015

The mashed potatoes reminds. My sister stayed in Ireland & some of the Irish friends never had Velveeta mac & cheese only the powered. They were amazed. Lol.

Interesting about the currency exchange. Lol.

18. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 15, 2015

3 sons... Will there be Xmas lights still up where you are or near you? Maybe just a car ride to look at decorations? I don't think they do Xmas there like they do here.
    I know the foreign exchange student from Japan said it was fun cooking for the other foreign exchange students. We had Japan, Columbia & I think Spain at the same time in our school.

19. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Companion

Nov 15, 2015

If you're going to Lancaster for Amish culture go a bit northwest and stop by Hersheypark/chocolate world. Take them on the free chocolate making ride and shop for any Hershey product imaginable. Plus it's Christmas in candylane at the park right now with all the lights which is really cool at night.

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 15, 2015

3sons lives near where i teach...close enough to NYC to be there in about 40 minutes with no traffic. The Rockefeller Center tree will be lit December 2 but only stays up this year until January 6... So that might not work given your nieces are coming after the new year...in the city, go down rinkside to the Sea Grille for a beverage and watch the skaters. Or to Bryant Park.
    They might also be amused by the size of our local malls...LOL

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015