Nice "teaching" clothes

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Daisie, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Daisie

Daisie Rookie

Dec 12, 2010

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this question has been posted before...I'm still exploring all the topics that have been discussed on this forum (lots of ground to cover!! ;))

Anyways, I'm looking to add a few clothing items to my work wardrobe. I already have my workout gear for gym classes, now I'm looking for stuff to wear when I'm doing math work. For what it's worth, I'm into the classic styles- blouses, sleek skirts and dress pants. I want something that won't break the bank (I'm still just a newbie student teacher after all), but I still want quality items that won't fall apart easily.

Just wondering if anyone could suggest a store to find quality "career clothes". Where do you shop? Any suggestions would be really appreciated.:thanks:

-Have a great day!:)

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 12, 2010

Ann Taylor Loft is great for classic trousers and great tops and sweaters.
    Have you tried TJ Maxx? They have good prices and you can pick up pants in neutral colors and then layer tees and cardigans...

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 12, 2010

I'm a big Kohls shopper. And I love Kaspar suits, JC Penneys usually carries a lot of them.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 12, 2010

Old Navy, Banana Republic, Winners, Reitman's, Sears and The Bay are some places to look.

6. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Dec 12, 2010

I also like Kohls and JC Penney, and also New York and Company for their dress pants and jewelry. Some of their sweaters and tops do not hold up as well, depending on what you get.

7. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

Dec 12, 2010

I have found J.C. Penney to have good prices on career basics (suits, trousers, skirts, etc.). I also find great stuff at New York and Company on clearance (I have some gorgeous blazers I got for $7 each), but I have stopped buying trousers from the store because the seams usually fall out within six months). I also find great deals at traditional department stores like Macy's. While I could never afford the clothes full price, they have a lot of great deals every once in a while. T.J. Maxx and Ross consistently have pretty and dirt-cheap blouses and accessories.

To avoid: Like I said, I don't get pants from NY&C. I have also been disappointed with the clothing quality from Old Navy and Gap as of late.

8. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

Dec 12, 2010

Haha! It seems Proverbs12.24 and I have the opposite problem at NY&C.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 12, 2010

10. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Dec 12, 2010

Porque_pig, that is funny! I love the pants that I get there, but a lot of times the tops and sweaters that I have bought "pill" after much washing. It does depend on the material. Usually I can tell what will be better quality.

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 12, 2010

I really like stuff from Old Navy, especially khaki pants. The biggest complaint I have is that some of the shirts are a little on the clingy side, which I don't love since I have a sort of ample bosom....If I end up ordering one of those shirts online and it turns out to be clingier than I like, I usually just wear a sweater over it. Not a big problem.

12. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Dec 12, 2010

New York and Co is my favorite! I try to hit their "50% off everything" sales that they run a couple times a year. You can get some really good deals, plus they will honor your 15% off teacher's discount on top of it. They will honor your discount as long as you don't use another coupon. I normally walk out with a lot of stuff for pretty cheap.

I guess I'm pretty cheap, but some of the stores like Ann Taylor Loft and Banana Republic are a little too pricey for me still. I haven't gotten a pay raise, so I am still at my 1st year salary... I try to keep clothing prices to a minimum. But I guess I have never been super into fashion and shopping!

13. carlea

carlea Comrade

Dec 12, 2010

Ann Taylor Loft is great - they give a teacher discount and always have great sales, so it's easy to save some money there. As far as quality, I have many things that are several years old and they still look great - nothing has fallen apart or even faded.

14. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 12, 2010

I shop everywhere. I will go into any store that sells clothes. I've found that even if it's a store that I don't really think I'll like, I can sometimes find good pieces.

15. MissAnt

MissAnt Comrade

Dec 12, 2010

I'm a first year teacher so I've had to buy my wardrobe this year. I've recently had good luck at consignment stores. I purchased tops for as little as $1.25 and found a few great skirts, none of which were more than $5.

16. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 12, 2010

RW&Co is a favourite of mine. It can be pricey, but the clothes seem to last forever. Also, the Gap and Rickie's have nice things for reasonable prices. Oh, and Esprit is a new favourite of mine!

17. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Dec 12, 2010

As a single parent I do alot of my shopping at second hand stores. Infact a new one opened up here and yesterday I got two pairs of slacks (lane bryant and another with brand new tags from stein mart) plus 5 blouses (brand new looking and all name brands) for $25.00!

18. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Dec 13, 2010

I like Kohls. Believe it or not, I have actually found some very nice, sturdy sweaters and tops at Sam's Club, and have never spent more than $18 on any item there.

19. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Dec 13, 2010

Kohls is really hit or miss for me. I LOVE New York and Company. Express is good sometimes, but their clothes tend to be more fitted, which is not necessarily good for teacher wear.

20. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Dec 13, 2010

I second Kohls. You can find great clothes on their clearance racks at up to 80% off.

21. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 13, 2010

Always lots of great suggestions, unfortunately, many of the stores that are suggested aren't here in Ontario where the original poster is located, and they don't ship outside of the U.S.

22. gigi

gigi Groupie

Dec 13, 2010

90% Kohls and 10% JC Penney....

23. DallasLady

DallasLady Rookie

Dec 13, 2010

JC Penney is my favorite for teacher clothes.

24. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Dec 13, 2010

If you have a Goodwill or the like close by, you may want to check it out. Sometimes you can get really great deals on high end clothes. My favorite Ann Taylor suits were a find at a Goodwill for $4.00 each.

25. indigo-angel

indigo-angel Companion

Dec 13, 2010

I usually shop at Marshall's, Target, and New York & Co for my work clothes.

26. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Dec 13, 2010

I absolutely love The Limited. Their clothes are a little pricey, but if you sign up to get emails from them, they give lots of coupons. I can get sweaters and pants there for 30 - 40 % off. Plus, they offer a 15% teacher discount.

27. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Dec 13, 2010

I spent most of my high school and undergrad years getting outfitted by goodwill and salvation army, so I am slowly transitioning out of my cheapskate phase, haha. I shop at Kohls and Target. Kohl's is better for dressy stuff. I am also exploring Gap, Ann Taylor, and NY&Co. They aren't horrible if you shop the clearance racks. I bought two black cardigans, one at Gap and one at Target. The Target one fell apart and lost all the buttons in just a few washes, so sometimes you get what you pay for. :mad:

This is ridiculously specific, but I just bought a pair of brown striped dress pants at Gap which I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE. They're called the "perfect fit trouser" or something. I went shopping with some teacher girlfriends and when we all reunited after splitting up, we discovered each of us had gotten the same pair of pants. :lol:

28. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Dec 13, 2010

I also just got the perfect fit trousers. I have been wearing skirts and dresses everyday this year because I can't find pants that fit me (no butt to speak of) and these work:)

29. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Dec 13, 2010

Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone have any advice for a, ahem, busty teacher? :blush: Keep in mind, I'm 24, and am used to shopping at Forever 21. But now I'm becoming more open minded about where I shop, and where would better suit my needs for interview/ classroom clothing.

I want to look polished, and like my clothes to fit well, not frumpy, but also not too tight showing off every curve, because I fear it wouldn't be classroom appropriate.

Any other ladies have any suggestions? :help:

Once again, sorry to hijack- but I just didn't want to start another thread.

30. Ms.Science

Ms.Science Rookie

Dec 14, 2010

Landsend.com is amazing! I've never had to pay shipping, http://www.retailmenot.com/view/landsend.com is full of Landsend coupon codes. (Landsend emails you the same codes, I just like looking them up on retailmenot instead of having my inbox spammed up.)

Now, 15% of the stuff of Landsend is really dowdy and reminds me of what my grandmother would wear. However, I find really cute tops, dresses, cardigans and sweaters there all the time. All of the sale stuff is in the Overstock section, and the quality is guaranteed. I had a sweater that got pills after 5-6 washes, and they gave me a full refund. :D I just got a cardigan, polo, and blouse for $18 total last week. Regarding sizing, the sizes are based on bust and arm length.

31. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Dec 15, 2010

I buy a lot of stuff from Kohl's... I'm also a big fan of Christopher & Banks (their line for larger sizes is CJ Banks) . It's a slightly different selection (sometimes) than Kohl's, so it's a little different look. Their stuff tends to be a little pricier than Kohl's, but that's probably because I almost always buy things on sale at Kohl's. CB runs sales on particular items quite often, but it's hit or miss if thats' what I'm looking for at the time. It holds up really well, though, so it's worth the price most of the time :)

32. massteacher

massteacher Companion

Dec 15, 2010

J.Crew!

33. indigo-angel

indigo-angel Companion

Dec 16, 2010

I'm the same way, but it's not necessarily where you shop, but how you dress. For example, since I have a larger bust, I stay away from v-necks and low neck lines (for work). I also like to layer my clothes by wearing sweaters and cardigans; blazers and jackets are nice too.