nice but chatty class! HELP

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by nyteacher29, Sep 27, 2012.

1. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Sep 27, 2012

I have this one class that is my biggest (33). All students are pretty much nice and do their work as well as participate. However, they wont stop chatting! I have gone over the rules every single day, I have had talks with them, together and individual. I know they are all friends and are in all the same classes, but any suggestions would be great! I am afraid that this class will ruin my reputation of having good classroom management!!

3. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Sep 29, 2012

I am not sure what grade you have. For my third graders, I pull a big online timer up on the smart board. I say, "Ok for the next 15 minutes, we will all work silently. You can only get help from me and you have to raise your hand." I have a classroom reward system where if they are good, I put a pouf ball in a reward jar and then I bring popcorn and we watch a cartoon. If a person talks, I take five minutes off of their recess or their whole recess. It sounds like you have older kids though?

4. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Sep 29, 2012

Yes, I have 7th graders and no smart board so te trimmer wouldn't work. I'm in search of a digital timer though. They are a good class it's just they aren't able to transition well and I know it's the same in other classes as well. I must figure something out though. We cant bribe them with food (against policy) I do have a reward system where they can earn tickets and earn a prize

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 29, 2012

As a sub I often tell them, 'we have certain amount of work we must do. Once we're done, I promise I won't make you do more work, just because we have time left. I'll let you talk quietly. But that means we must do everything without being chatty, otherwise we won't get through it, and there will be consequences anyways" I always make sure that there is no more than 10 minutes left over, mostly 5 minutes if they do everything right, but some classes can surprise you and just be absolutely awesome. In that case, I still don't want more than 10 minutes left over.
    This works most of the time, at the least they try harder, even if they don't end up have time left over.

As a regular teacher I always did PAT, and if I'm there for the whole week (which has been the case for about 2 months now) I still do that as a sub.

If you have a projector, you can still put up a timer. There is a website, i think it's called www stoptimer. com or stopwatch, something like that, you can choose from different type and set it. Otherwise just get a small, normal timer ($5-10) and set it.

6. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Sep 30, 2012

I do not have any technology in my class and since I'm the regular teacher I can't have any "extra" time to let them just chat nor will be admin go for something like pat. Im not worried about that though bc I always have extra questions ready. My concern about regular timer is a)the noise they make and b) the fact that te students can't see.

I guess I'm looking for strategies that do not involve technology (there is no way technology will come into my classroom bc of budget cuts) I'm left with a chalk board and that is it. I guess I can always change the time on the chalk board but if anyone can offer specific strategies besides having time on the board that would be great.

The main point is thT these kids know each other and just are a chatty group. I was given the suggestion of starting to give zeros for the day and showing the student when they each get one. I am going to try that Monday. My concern is for someone walking in and thinking I have no control over the class. Also I would love if I didn't have to repeat myself. Friday I started with I will not repeat or answer a question that I already did.

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 30, 2012

I always used a regular timer, kids couldn't see it, but I occasionally reminded them 'you have 5 more minutes' and it was no problem. When it went off, it was over, and that's it. It worked just fine.