Next Year's Incentive Plan (What do you think?)

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by corps2005, Jun 25, 2008.

1. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Jun 25, 2008

I'm working putting together my incentives for next school year. I have both class and individual incentives. What do you guys think about it?

Marble Jar (Class incentives)
    (I have another jar with some plastic Easter eggs in it. Each egg contains a reward. When the class fills the jar, they can pull out an egg and receive that reward)
    1. Popcorn and Movie!
    2. 20 minutes Game Time!
    3. Eat in the classroom!
    5. Art Project!
    6. Popsicles!
    7. Slipper day!
    8. Principal Read Aloud!
    9. 20 minutes Puzzle Time!
    10. 20 minutes recess!

Homeworkopoly
    -when they pass go, they get a ticket for the Grammy’s Drawing (bunch of small things like cheap books, school supplies, small toys, art supplies, etc.)
    1. Sit in the teacher’s chair for the day!
    2. Show and Tell!
    3. Read a book to Kindergarten class
    4. Be the first to eat lunch
    5. Do your work in the library
    6. Take a stuffed animal home for the night
    8. Free Bathroom Pass
    9. Drink water whenever you want to day
    10. Choose any job for the week
    11. 15 minutes Computer time
    12. Choose a game and play it with a buddy
    13. Use the tape recorder and tape a story
    14. Choose a read aloud book!
    15. Use the pencil sharpener whenever you want
    16. Good call home!
    17. Good note home!
    18. Chew sugar free gum!
    19. Free snack from the teacher!
    20. be first in line

Behavior Colors
    -At the end of the day, if they are on the top two colors (there are 7 colors total), they will receive a stamp on their chart. When they get 10 stamps, they can take an egg from the Treasure Chest (they get what’s inside the egg. I get the egg back). They also get a ticket for the Grammy Drawing later that month.
    -the Treasure Chest is available every other Friday.
    -What’s inside the Easter eggs?
    1. 2 peppermints (15 of these are available)
    2. 2 pencil erasers (5)
    3. No Homework pass (1)
    4. Get a drink of water whenever you want! (1)
    5. Free Bathroom pass (1)
    6. Get a FUN sheet! (10)
    7. 15 minutes Computer Time! (1)
    8. small toy (3)
    9. Sit in the teacher’s chair for the day! (1)
    10. Show and Tell! (1)
    11. Take a stuffed animal home for the night (1)
    12. Sticker (10)

What do you guys think? Should I make any adjustments?

3. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Jun 25, 2008

BTW, let me give some credit where credit is due. I can't remember who mentioned the Easter egg idea first, but someone on here did. I just want everyone to know it wasn't me. :p I just liked the idea so much, I adopted it. :p

4. ParaPacker

ParaPacker Rookie

Jun 25, 2008

Cool incentives

I like your Homeworkopoly. It is definitely a thought in my future:) I am sure your students will love the chance to earn tangible prizes, but you have some intrinsic rewards too. Good job!

I had a difficult class last year so incentives were hard to come by, but they were sports fans. I decided to try to implement a behavior/ incentive plan using baseball during the last six weeks. It was called Behavior Baseball.

They each received a run at the end of the day for good behavior. If they misbehaved they earned a strike. Three strikes on a day, they earned an out. (Each day they started a "new inning") If they accumulated three outs, they could not participate in the end of the year event. It was a big incentive and it worked.

This year, I am thinking of doing it all year but with different sports as the main focus. Being from Green Bay, I have to incorporate the Packers some time :)

Anyway, about the incentives. They have a chance to save or cash in their runs if they choose or bank them for a bigger prize. At 5 runs they can choose a "no homework tonight" ticket. At 10 runs, they could come in and play on the computer during recess. They could cash in 15 runs for a prize from the bucket (similar to your prizes). At 20 runs they could cash in for a lunch with me (no one got this far!) All but 3 of my students made it for the end of the year event.

I like your ideas and this one because it rewards the good students. Too many times, I have to spend more quality time with my misbehaving students because of attention getting techniques. These incentive programs allow us to have fun and reward the students who always do what they are supposed to do.

Thanks for this thread! I am sure there will be many more ideas.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2008

It just seems like an awful lot to keep track of- I did marble jar this year (I really don't like behavior charts, marble jars but this class NEEDED it..)...We did the jar, earned one party and then I abandoned it-they didn't need it anymore and I'd love not to use it again...

6. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 29, 2008

Love the behavior baseball idea. :2up: We had a management plan similar to this, but we gave the students rewards every other friday(movie), and a cook out at the end of the year. Hmm... something for me to think about.

7. ParaPacker

ParaPacker Rookie

Jun 29, 2008

Sasha,

I like the end of the year cook out idea! I might have to bring that up. We have a 5th grade picnic, but it probably isn't going to happen again next year.

It is also something corps2005 can incorporate in her marble jar. :)

8. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 29, 2008

The kids love the cook out. They must earn so many points in order to attend. We had a lot of very disappointed kiddies this year.

9. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2008

I love changing the marble idea to fit seasons like eggs. How about candy corn, artificial leaves, cotton balls, candy hearts, cut out snowflakes.....What a great idea.

I used a puzzle with magnetic tape on the back of each piece as a class incentive. whenever the students received an unsolicited compliment, they got a puzzle piece. But I like the idea of changing the marbles up a bit.

10. MsX

MsX Companion

Jun 29, 2008

I like your ideas too! But, I agree with some other posters that it might be a bit too much to keep track of! I had a lot of incentives and such going on this year, and I found by the middle of the year, I had kind of let some of them slide. I've found I can handle one (maybe two) systems, but anything more than that I will let something slip. I'm not necessarily trying to discourage you since they're all great ideas, but just consider if you'll be able to keep these systems going all year!

11. 1stYearTeacher

1stYearTeacher Companion

Jun 30, 2008

I really like your variety of incentives. The one thing I would warn against is bring a stuffed animal home for a night. This could open the door to many allergy problems. If you have students in your class allergic to certain smells or animals and then the stuffed animal is brought to that house and then back to school. You may have to wash it each time.

12. peachieteachie

peachieteachie Comrade

Jun 30, 2008

I really like the Easter Egg Marble Jar idea. It is so creative! I use a marble jar with the same types of rewards and the students vote on the reward they would like to work towards, but I like how the students can choose an egg so the reward is a surprise. How do you choose the student who picks the egg?

13. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Jun 30, 2008

Yeah, I'm thinking of shortening my list. I do want to implement Homeworkopoly, but I'm also implementing a Mastery Club. There aren't really any prizes for the mastery club until you reach the end. I'll give each child who reaches level 4 a T-shirt like a few others do on here.

I may or may not do the marble jar. These past three years I had to use a marble jar each year because of the students. I'm not working in the same type of environment again next year, so I'm actually going to hold off on the marble jar until I can see the types of students I am receiving in my new area. Instead of having a treasure chest, I am trying to implement an economy system and will probably allow students to BUY those privileges that were meant for the treasure chest. I'm still fiddling around with these ideas. Quite frankly, I do think I need to simmer down my incentive ideas before they get out of control. :p