Next year's challenge

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MissFireFly, Apr 22, 2013.

1. MissFireFly

MissFireFly Rookie

Apr 22, 2013

Hi guys!:)

I work at a small private Christian school. I teach the intermediate grade levels. This year I taught a 3/4 split class, which presented challenges but was manageable.

Next year is going to be tricky. I'm looking at:

1 second grade student, average level.
    2 fourth grade students, both above average, with one student being gifted.
    1 fifth grade student, average level.

I'm really scared! I don't know how to fit in everything. Honestly, I'm just lost for a strategy on how to tackle this.

Any advice? Tips? :dizzy:

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 22, 2013

Can they move the second grader to a different class and give you an additional third grader or fifth grader?

Will you only have these 4 students?

The fourth and fifth grade students should be close to the same level if the fourth graders are above average.

4. alioxenfree

alioxenfree Rookie

Apr 22, 2013

I have no experience with this situation, but I'll give you my best shot at advice.

At your school are you allowed to design all or part of your curricula or do you have use specific published grade-level materials for each grade?

If you have some freedom, you could design some lessons based on a read-aloud that students can respond to on their level. If you're teaching a reading strategy such as inferring, you could introduce it to the whole class in a read-aloud and meet students in groups reading texts at their level while the other students work independently:

The fifth grade student and the above average fourth grade student might be together

The second grade student alone, who will probably need more decoding along with comprehension

The gifted fourth grade student alone

If you have to teach from three different basals, it would be more complicated because they wouldn't necessarily be on the same reading strategy at the same time, but you could still do small groups.

You could also design research projects for the students on a topic of their interest but make the criteria different depending on the grade level. That will incorporate reading, writing, and science/and or social studies.

In math, you could teach them at their levels while the others work independently (math practice with or without manipulatives, math games, math practice websites) on skills you've just taught or other skills they need to practice.

These are just some ideas off the top of my head, but I think the key is getting them to work independently while you rotate groups.

5. MissFireFly

MissFireFly Rookie

Apr 23, 2013

I think you are right about working independently, while rotating groups. I have flexibility with what I teach, but it I am strongly encouraged to use the A Beka curriculum (this is a Christian school). My 4th and 5th graders are capable of being very independent (I had them this year). Its my 2nd grader (she's new to my class) that might be a challenge. This might be a great chance for her to learn to be independent! :)

6. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 23, 2013

I know she's been very busy and hasn't posted a lot, but try to pm JaimeMarie...she had a class similar to this years ago and hers went from K-8 I think. Good luck!!