Next Food Network Star

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ChristyF, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 23, 2012

I think it is for the reason stated, there is something to be said for coming up through the ranks! Most of them need some significant camera practice and some are decent on camera but need cooking and recipe development practice.

2. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jul 23, 2012

I was disappointed with the winner. He was my least favorite.

3. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2012

I feel like they never pick anyone different and never anyone with a strong culinary background. I feel like FN is all about making food easy and approachable for the average person and I get that - I actually appreciated a few of those shows when I was just out on my own and learning to cook beyond the few recipes I knew from home. But now that I cook more, I want to see some shows on FN that require some culinary skill and know-how, some gourmet shows. I like some of the contest-type shows on FN but I rarely watch the actual cooking shows. I can't stand Guy, Giada, Rachel Ray, Anne Burrell, and I don't have very strong feelings about most of the others. I love AB so I am glad his protege won, but for the most part I have been sticking with the Cooking Channel now. They still show Julia Child and Jacques Pepin!

4. bison

bison Habitué

Jul 23, 2012

I just want to state how much I CANNOT STAND Guy Fieri. He's SO obnoxious and has a pretty bad reputation as far as homophobia, racism, etc. I wish they'd just get rid of him! At least make him stop bleaching his hair! The one I love is Alton Brown as well. His show is great but I can only take it in small doses. I wish I had the Cooking Channel! Loved watching it when I could. My mom is a big fan of Nigella and no one can beat Julia Child.

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 23, 2012

I think the Food Network is following in TLC's footsteps. Not so much "food" anymore...they are going down the wrong path. I like Chopped, and...that is seriously it.

If you don't watch their "in the kitchen", there is no cooking anymore.

I love Easy Chinese on Cooking Channel!

6. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jul 23, 2012

I love the shows on Food Network! Chopped, DDD, Iron Chef America, Restaurant Impossible....but I do agree that it's more about the shows than cooking. Remember when MTV actually played music!:lol:

7. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 24, 2012

I like Guy well enough, but night after night of Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives is getting really old.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2012

Did anyone who watched this most recent season of NFNS also watch Deadliest Catch? There's a greenhorn (new guy) on one of the ships who looks and talks exactly like Justin Warner. The greenhorn is named Joshua Tel Warner. It sure seems like they are brothers, but I can't find anything online saying so.

Here's a video with Josh Warner. (Oh yeah, and he was sentenced to 9 years in prison for bank robbery after he stopped crab fishing.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWBT4RbXR_o