Next Food Network Star

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ChristyF, Jul 22, 2012.

1. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 22, 2012

I don't want to give anything away, but did anyone else watch it? I was NOT a fan of the winner. I guess I didn't vote enough times. :(

3. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jul 22, 2012

Watching the past episode right now ( where they pick the top three) and the finale comes on in two hours. I was REALLY disappointed with who wad chosen last year, so I have no clue who will win.

4. Iowa_Teacher

Iowa_Teacher Rookie

Jul 22, 2012

I was SOOO angry when I saw who won! The one person I did NOT want to win! :mad:

5. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2012

Oh I just looked it up and the person I wanted won! Sorry everyone who was disappointed. lol.

6. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2012

Voted 30 times and it paid off. That is 2 years in a row the one I was rooting for in the end won. I will say that if it had not been that person, I would have wanted Nikki, even though she did not make the top 4 she should get a chance at being hired on for a show. I would have been okay with two of the others in the running, but one of them, no interest in at all.

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2012

I actually would have been fine with any of the finalists winning...but I really like the winner. :)

8. bison

bison Habitué

Jul 23, 2012

I only watched a couple episodes when I was staying at a place with cable so I definitely wasn't invested in this show.. but I just looked up who won and it's NOT someone I liked! Oh well. :)

9. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Jul 23, 2012

You could tell from early on in the season that he would be the winner...I'm convinced it was rigged.

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 23, 2012

Last night I watched the episode where they did their pilots. I guess I will catch up tonight to see who won!

11. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 23, 2012

I wasn't surprised with the winner. I had been expecting it. However, I was very unhappy. I won't be watching the show.

12. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 23, 2012

I was expecting it all season and will watch a few and decide how I like it. Unfortunatly, Mickey Mouse and Elmo have taken up most of my leisurely food show watching, do who knows if I'll ever see it. I liked the retro food show too, but she was knocked
    Off early. I bet Martie ends up with a show as well.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2012

For whatever reason, I didn't watch NFNS this season...several of the most recent winners haven't lasted long...and there are currently a few shows on FN that I just don't enjoy...the ones who are 'truly stars' have staying power.

14. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 23, 2012

I knew that the 'mini Alton' as someone here termed it would win. He is definitely an interesting character with a hint of a Jokerish style going on. Now I can't help thinking that I would have rather seen Michelle or Yvan win. They were also unique. I especially loved Yvan. He comes across as being very likable & I think he could have capture various socioeconomics market.

It'll be interesting to see how his show does & I hope someone advises him to lose the lipgloss or at least tone it down. It's too distracting to me.

15. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 23, 2012

I think this show, with the exception of Guy, is the Bachelor of the Food Network. People watch with anticipation, then the main attraction fizzles.

16. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Jul 23, 2012

:yeahthat:

17. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 23, 2012

I think it is for the reason stated, there is something to be said for coming up through the ranks! Most of them need some significant camera practice and some are decent on camera but need cooking and recipe development practice.

18. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jul 23, 2012

I was disappointed with the winner. He was my least favorite.

19. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2012

I feel like they never pick anyone different and never anyone with a strong culinary background. I feel like FN is all about making food easy and approachable for the average person and I get that - I actually appreciated a few of those shows when I was just out on my own and learning to cook beyond the few recipes I knew from home. But now that I cook more, I want to see some shows on FN that require some culinary skill and know-how, some gourmet shows. I like some of the contest-type shows on FN but I rarely watch the actual cooking shows. I can't stand Guy, Giada, Rachel Ray, Anne Burrell, and I don't have very strong feelings about most of the others. I love AB so I am glad his protege won, but for the most part I have been sticking with the Cooking Channel now. They still show Julia Child and Jacques Pepin!

20. bison

bison Habitué

Jul 23, 2012

I just want to state how much I CANNOT STAND Guy Fieri. He's SO obnoxious and has a pretty bad reputation as far as homophobia, racism, etc. I wish they'd just get rid of him! At least make him stop bleaching his hair! The one I love is Alton Brown as well. His show is great but I can only take it in small doses. I wish I had the Cooking Channel! Loved watching it when I could. My mom is a big fan of Nigella and no one can beat Julia Child.

21. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 23, 2012

I think the Food Network is following in TLC's footsteps. Not so much "food" anymore...they are going down the wrong path. I like Chopped, and...that is seriously it.

If you don't watch their "in the kitchen", there is no cooking anymore.

I love Easy Chinese on Cooking Channel!

22. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jul 23, 2012

I love the shows on Food Network! Chopped, DDD, Iron Chef America, Restaurant Impossible....but I do agree that it's more about the shows than cooking. Remember when MTV actually played music!:lol:

23. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 24, 2012

I like Guy well enough, but night after night of Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives is getting really old.

24. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2012

Did anyone who watched this most recent season of NFNS also watch Deadliest Catch? There's a greenhorn (new guy) on one of the ships who looks and talks exactly like Justin Warner. The greenhorn is named Joshua Tel Warner. It sure seems like they are brothers, but I can't find anything online saying so.

Here's a video with Josh Warner. (Oh yeah, and he was sentenced to 9 years in prison for bank robbery after he stopped crab fishing.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWBT4RbXR_o