Newspaper Project

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by MissaG, Dec 31, 2006.

1. MissaG

MissaG Companion

Dec 31, 2006

Each month, I try to do a book report project involving a different genre and a corresponding activity to match that genre. For my sixth graders this month, I would like to something involving reading a newspaper (more than just a single article) in place of a book. This goes along with us reading Around the World in Eighty Days and a unit on newspapers and the study of Nellie Bly. I would love to have a creative culminating activity to show what they know about newspapers and what they found in their specific newspaper after picking it apart for a few weeks. I thought that a file folder project might be a creative way to go about it, but not quite sure where I am headed with it. Any ideas?

Thanks!

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 1, 2007

I have had students work in small groups to create their own newspapers. Each student was responsible for writing/creating one section (local news, international news, sports, lifestyle, entertainment, etc) and they worked together to edit etc.

4. mediha

mediha Rookie

Jan 4, 2007

Hi...l had my students do the newspaper as a performance homework a month ago. I divided them to the groups. They worked effectively and actively. They made fun while they were preparing them. I didn't limit the subjects. They chose what they wanted to write or stick pictures. There were daily news, weather forecast, advertisements, sports...etc. They did them on colourful papers.
    I still keep the newspaper. Because they gave importance them and tried too much. It was very enjoyable....
    I suggest ... if you haven't them do newspaper....good activity.

5. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jan 5, 2007

there is even a tool on readwritethink.org that can help kids format their own newspapers. It's pretty cool.

6. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Jan 5, 2007

Interesting! (subbing)