Newspaper Program HELP!

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Danielle Lake, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Jul 19, 2017

I will be teaching a MS newspaper/journalism class next year. All of my students will have Chromebooks. I haven't been happy with any of the GoogleDoc newspaper templates I've been able to find, but I'm struggling to find a similar program. As part of the class, I'm supposed to teach them the basics of design. I need a program that has an appropriate newspaper template (preferably not a newsletter), and I need the students to all be able to collaborate at the same time, just like a Google Doc. I'm been scouring the Internet and, while I can find some great newspaper programs, I can't seem to find anything that allows collaboration. Do any of you have anything good that they use at your school?

3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 1, 2017

I would simply have them collaborate via google, then copy and paste into the program you like. Real reporters don't type into templates. They write and then it goes to someone else who edits, then someone who does layout. Follow a similar format.

Mshope2012 likes this.
  4. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 3, 2017

Lots of newspapers use In Design, but connect with other high school teachers to see what they're utilizing for their papers. You do have your work cut out for you. Remember reading some student newspapers when I subbed and the quality of the writing was abysmal.

5. Mshope2012

Mshope2012 Companion

Aug 7, 2017

I'm interested to find out what you end up using. I've done a type of newsletter in the past. This was long along enough that we used Publisher. This was before the cloud. I have to admit that I got a bit tired of the editing. Now, we teach even grammar and spelling. Sorry, I digress.

Now, we do have Microsoft 365. However, the district bought it, so I'm sure it's expensive.

I like AlwaysAttends idea. Maybe one of them can be the editor who puts the template together?

6. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 8, 2017

As a freelance writer, I wonder how many teachers teaching Journalism or Analytical Writing have actually had anything published.

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 8, 2017

Not sure everyone who teaches writing needs to be published, just as long as they understand the power or writing and the honor of coaching. It's okay if the students eventually outpace the efforts and abilities of their educators. It isn't a case of "those who can't do, teach". It's a case of, "this is what I can do, but I want to see you knock it out of the park".

(I say this as someone whose fiction / poetry has been published and plays have been produced so nobody thinks I'm talking from my derriere)