newsletters

Discussion in 'General Education' started by flowerpower31, Sep 1, 2007.

1. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Sep 1, 2007

I'm writing out my September newsletter, and want to include some information about myself. How personal should I get? I'd like to tell them the important stuff (my name, how long I've been teaching, I'm engaged, etc.), but I don't know if that's more information than I should be giving or whatever. Any ideas/advice? :thanks:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2007

Are you a new teacher in the district? I would keep to name, where you went to school, maybe a little bit about where you taught before and how excited you are to be here at ----school and to be working with this great group of ----graders. End with how you are looking forward to a wonderful year of learning and how to contact you with any questions (email, etc.)

4. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Sep 1, 2007

I would include one or two personal lines (something like, "I'm originally from Kalamazoo, I love to jog, and I'm engaged to be married in February!).

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 1, 2007

I wouldn't give out the engaged to be married part.

6. Daisyd

Daisyd Rookie

Sep 1, 2007

I agree. That's a little too personal for a first impression.

7. MrsLilHen

MrsLilHen Comrade

Sep 1, 2007

I would definitely tell about the engaged to be married part. I think it is nice to tell a little bit about yourself. I like MsWK's idea of a short little thing about personal stuff. It makes you seem more approachable, I think. I've always been that way with parents, and they seem to appreciate it.

8. jellokites

jellokites Rookie

Sep 1, 2007

You could just tell them you are engaged, and then when they meet you if they ask, you can tell them.
    In my current letter, I told my parents that I have a son that is almost a year old. I have also told them what I like to do in my spare time. I see nothing wrong with that.:confused: I have gotten these okayed with my principal...and they have never questioned it.

9. MrsLilHen

MrsLilHen Comrade

Sep 1, 2007

jellokites,
    I have a son that is almost one too. :0) Well, he'll be one in November.

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 1, 2007

My problem with married stuff is different people have different perceptions of what engaged couples are. I was just driving a girl from school to her home each day as a side job and when the dad found out I was engaged to be married he was really worried and pulled me aside to ask me more questions (like another interview). I admit it was weird but this was a 2 lawyer household. If you are young it is like they expect that you will be some reckless silly goofy always talking about him smitten puppy love. If you are older, you run the risk of wondering if you've been a divorce case (bitter) or why would you wait until 40 to get married. What's wrong with you. I admit none of this has ANYTHING to do with education, but having been burned once on a simple driving job, I would advise anyone to shy away from that one. Another one...is she gonna be tied up looking at wedding plans. Will she be discussing wedding dresses and stuff with the girls in the class? The list could go on. It's kinda funny that being engaged or a newlywed seems to symbolize young and somewhat immature whereas being married has a perspective of being more mature and matronly and perhaps motherly. Not everyone of course. Most people know better, but stereotypes are out there.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2007

They don't need to know engaged, married, kids, GLBT, whatever. They need to know you care about their kids, that you are motivated and excited to teach them this year and that you are a professional. PERIOD...:2cents:

12. MrsLilHen

MrsLilHen Comrade

Sep 2, 2007

It's funny - I think that saying you are engaged to be married not only is a fun thing to share, but it also is showing that you are settling down, maturing, etc.

I really think this issue is a to each his/her own situation. Whatever YOU feel comfortable sharing (as long as it is appropriate, of course)
    If we are worried about parents thinking that we will be distracted with wedding plans, then where does that stop? Should I not mention that I have children of my own (which I always do - I like parents to know that I'm a parent too) in case they think my own children take up too much of my time? Should I not mention I like to knit in my spare time?

I think it's important that teachers remain people, and part of the community. It is completely possible to do so and remain professional.

13. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Sep 2, 2007

thanks, everyone! I have to say, though...you all have good arguments about the engaged thing and whether or not to say anything. I've thought of all of those before, and that's why I was stuck. I think it's okay to share that information, and personally, I've been told that it's important for your students to know that you have a life outside of school. However, I also understand the view of looking like all I may care about is the "young being in love" thing and or the parents wondering if my thoughts will all be focussed on wedding planning. I think I'm just gonna not include it in the newsletter. Like I said, I agree with both sides, and I personally think it's completely acceptable to say it, but I'm gonna go with the whole "better to be safe than sorry" thing and leave it out. Thanks for your help! :)

14. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Sep 2, 2007

I would tell the parents about being engaged. In my welcome letter, I always tell how long I have been married, how many kids I have, things I enjoy doing outside of school, etc. The parents enjoy reading those kinds of things and often ask about my family and hobbies. It makes you look like a real person with a life. As a parent, I would not find it at all out of the ordinary or offensive if the teacher told me about themselves, personally. Obviously, there should be a limit as to how personal you need to be but, know your limitations and don't cross those boundaries. I see nothing wrong with it.