Newsletters

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by MrsM1, Jun 21, 2007.

1. MrsM1

MrsM1 Rookie

Jun 21, 2007

HI, I want to start on a newsletter for my second grd classroom. I have no idea where to start though. If anyone here has a template or any ideas for me to get started on this...
    I want to include the following:
    HOMEWORK SECTION
    NEWS (what is happening in the school like PTA Meetings, ect.)
    B-DAYS
    SUPPLIES NEEDED
    VOLUNTEERS

what else should I include?
    thanks for all your help.
    MrsM1

3. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 21, 2007

Will you be doing a weekly newletter, or monthly? Just curious. I did weekly last year but I'm considering monthly... not sure yet!

I included homework schedule, special area schedule, upcoming events, what we are learning, any supplies needed or thank yous, and the student of the week.

4. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2007

I stopped doing a newsletter all together....I used to do weekly ones but found out that it was never read ....

5. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Jun 21, 2007

I'm also going to switch to monthly this fall!
    I just didn't have enough info every week, and it does get discouraging when you realize how many of your newsletters are not being read.
    Also...we are allowed a relatively small # of copies/copy paper, so I try to send them via e-mail to as many families as possible.

You might include suggested websites to visit for enrichment activities.

6. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 21, 2007

Yeah I have many parents who I know don't read the newsletter, and then if I make a mistake in it or if I forget to send out the newsletter (which happened once last year!) there is always that ONE parent that points it out!

7. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jun 21, 2007

I have been terrible about sending out a newsletter this year, but our principal wants us to. In fact, she writes it as a goal for the following year on our yearly reviews. So, next year I will start the year off doing a monthly newsletter that is on one page only. I will include a calendar on the back for the month of things that will be happening in our classroom. The front will have congratulations, what we're learning, supplies needed, and any little notes I may need to get out. I always have the parents sign a small corner and return it with their child for a prize. It gets more parents to read it (I think...they could just be signing and returning it :( ).

8. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 21, 2007

That is a good idea..... but I'd feel bad rewarding the kids for their parent's choices..... but it's more likely the kids will make their parents read it I guess.

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 21, 2007

MrsM1:
    I know that Microsoft's Office site has newletter templates for MS Word that are really well done. If you have MS Publisher, it has several newspaper templates built in to it. You can also do a calendar (easily) in either MS Excel, Word, or PowerPoint!

10. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Jun 21, 2007

If you use Publisher, be careful, because some of the templates are 4 pages. You just have to remember to print only 1 page. (I speak from experience... )

11. MrsM1

MrsM1 Rookie

Jun 21, 2007

I love all this helpful information. Thank you all. I was thinking of doing a monthly newsletter...where I can include spelling words...that way students can prepare ahead of time. I think if I let parents know of the importance of reading the newsletter at the beginning of the year then hopefully they will!! Last year I had a student who would have all papers sent home in her hw folder in there for long periods of time...which really let me know her parents were not even looking at the hw folder...by the way this was one of my students who was not doing all of her hw. I am hoping the newsletter will be a better hit than a weekly hw sheet. I was also thinking of giving how to help with...tips like for reading, spelling, etc. I hope to start on it soon. Thks again. I will give it a shot!!! I love the idea of including educational websites...

12. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jun 21, 2007

I send home a weekly newsletter that looks something like this:

Second Grade News
    June 18-20
    Mrs. XXXX Room XXX
    (email address)

Upcoming Events:

Curriculum Update:
    *Reading:
    *Writing:
    *Math:
    *Science/Social Studies:

For Your Information OR class news:

Happy Birthday to You! (at the end of the month)

Obviously things change throughout the year but parents know where to look for things. You could easily add your homework list for the week. My oldest son's teacher had a stamp that said what kind of behavior s/he had. Then, he just marked how they were for parents to see. He sent them home on Fridays but I send mine home on Mondays, attached to my homework packet.

13. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 21, 2007

LOL, so true, knittingbec!

You might want to consider posting the newsletter on a class or school website so that it can be accessed from home.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  14. Chevygirl97

Chevygirl97 Companion

Jun 22, 2007

teachingmomof4---I LOVE THAT!!

15. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 22, 2007

What if you choose different students at the end of the day to dictate or write something that happened that day/something they learned. Then, compile their responses and turn that into a newsletter. Add a little note about future events and BAM you're done. That's what I'm doing next year.

PLUS! since it was the students who wrote the newsletter, families may be more inclined to read the newsletter, looking to see what their darling has written.

16. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jun 23, 2007

I also thought about emailing the newsletter to those parents who had an email address.

17. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jun 23, 2007

You could email it too. I would do both. I know I check my email often but a lot of people don't.

Thanks for the compliment, Chevygirl97 Not sure how many read it but hey, it goes out every week regardless.

18. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jun 23, 2007

Just seperate a Word document into two columns. That's what I do. I include a few paragraphs that is a "summary" of the week, photos, calendar dates, homework explanation, Student of the Week/other honors, and website links. Next year, though, I don't know how much I'll be fixated on our class' weekly newsletter because the administration is requiring a weekly newsletter for the grade level that I will be writing up for 4th. (And then there's the school newspaper as well... yikes.)

19. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jun 23, 2007

I do mine in WORD with text boxes.
    Each textbox has it's own font. Each textbox either has it's own color or picture. In this way each box is appeals to the eye by itself. i do not have a sample here or I'd send it.

I send one weekly.

I add a box each month entitled: "September curriculum"
    Then for each subject I state the general unit such as:
    Math ~ counting quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies

As others have stated, you'll be shocked at how many do not read it or read it too late...even the parents you'd think read it. But IMO, it's my attempt at regular communication. And beleive me, I politiely refer to it when a parent asks a question that has already be answered in the newsletter.

20. claridosa

claridosa Rookie

Jun 25, 2007

I did a bi-weekly newletter which eventually turned into a monthly newsletter. The Mailbox Magazine has templates online. I included their spelling words, what we were currently studying, upcoming events and any other necessary important information. I plan to do it again this year but many of my parents could care less so it ends up being more work for me. :-(

21. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jun 25, 2007