Newsletters

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Kteacher06, May 2, 2007.

1. Kteacher06

Kteacher06 Companion

May 2, 2007

I have a couple questions for all of you Kinder teachers out there regarding your newsletters:
    1. Do you send home a newsletter?
    2. If so, how often?
    3. Is it in color or black and white?
    4. How long is it?

Here are my answers:
    1. Yes
    2. Weekly
    3. Color
    4. one page, one sided

I'm hearing that my administration is not happy about how much color ink we are going through, which I agree is a lot at times. However, I also think that we need to represent ourselves with quality, professional work. I like the newsletters to be in color so that they are not only quality-looking and professional, but they are also eye-grabbing and serve the purpose of communicating effectively. I know that a lot of papers sent home are not even looked at, but I think that the newsletters are actually something that is read by parents. Our school is "encouraging" us to go the digital route and e-mail our newsletter. I'm bummed because I take pride in them and would have to switch to a whole new program to create them. Plus I know that not all my parents check/use e-mail.

I was just curious what everyone else does.

3. teach_kids

teach_kids Rookie

May 2, 2007

I send home a note each week in black and white. My school would NEVER allow us to send home a color one...
    We also send the note through email. I use Word to create mine and it is written in letter form so there really isn't much need for color anyway.

I also know that parents who want to know what is happening will read it no matter what and those that won't just won't. I would rather save the color ink for things I hang in my classroom.

4. mhcooley

mhcooley Companion

May 2, 2007

We are not even given colored ink for our printers.

5. AMK

AMK Aficionado

May 2, 2007

I send home a weekly newsletter on Monday's. It is not color and only one page. Like another poster said we are not given colored ink in our printers. I do send them through email but not all the parents have computers/email where I teach.

6. ctopher

ctopher Comrade

May 2, 2007

I'm not a K teacher, but I send home my newsletter once a week. It's one page, one sided. When we had to print on the printers in our classroom I printed one black and white copy and then made my copies on the copy machines. Our classroom printers have been taken away because of ink costs and replaced by a centralized laser printer. We now print our newsletters in color and I agree that they look more professional and I can draw attention to the really important parts by outlining boxes in certain colors or using different colors for different subjects etc.

7. grade1teacher

grade1teacher Companion

May 2, 2007

I know this sounds pretty lame compared to the gorgeous color printouts that you have been doing, but can you use colored paper instead?
    *maybe you can get the kids all excited about trying to guess what color it would be this week (give them clues, riddles or rhymes to have them guess)
    *or even give them a riddle about it in the newsletter for the color of the coming week. It can be like a mini competition to see who can come in on monday and give you the answer. This might even give the parents an oppurtunity to read the newsletter WITH their child!
    *or maybe they can vote on it

Just trying to throw dome cheap ideas out there

8. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

May 2, 2007

Yes, I send a one page newsletter home each Friday. The print is black ink, but I copy them onto colored paper so they catch the parents' eye.

9. lw3teach

lw3teach Companion

May 2, 2007

I send an e-mail home each day with what we did, any important events coming as well as some digital pics I took that day. I have never sent a paper copy home this year and have everyone's e-mail address.

10. Lilu0819

Lilu0819 Companion

May 2, 2007

I don't teach K, but I send home a newsletter each Friday talking about what we did during the week. It also includes important events coming up. I do black and white on colored paper.

Our kindergarten teachers send theirs home on Fridays. They write about what they have planned for the next week. They do black and white print and I think they use plain white paper.

11. Kindtchr

Kindtchr Comrade

May 2, 2007

I send home a black & white one page newsletter every Friday. Many of our families do not have email. I use the monthly forms from Mailbox.