Newsletters

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by hp123, Mar 28, 2010.

1. hp123

hp123 Comrade

Mar 28, 2010

I'm wondering how often you send home newsletters. It seems weekly. There is so much stuff covered, I would think it would be a great way to let parents know what their kids learned, and what was coming up.

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 28, 2010

In our school it depends on the grade. Pre-K-2nd send home weekly newsletters. 3rd-5th send home monthly newsletters.

4. Grover

Grover Cohort

Mar 28, 2010

In my school every class produced a daily newspaper (usually one page). My wife's school sends a newsletter about every second month.

5. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Mar 28, 2010

I do a daily email and NO newsletters. The emails are fairly quick and simple (usually takes me about 5 minutes to write) and I don't have to worry about cutesy clip art (which I detest)... parents love it because they can ask their children about what happened in school THAT day. It's a win/win in my book. Oh and for the few kids who don't have email, I print it out and it goes home the next day.

6. Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer Companion

Mar 28, 2010

At my school we are required to do a newsletter every week. I guess it helps, but I still get tons of parents saying, "I never heard about that activity," and I'm thinking, it's been in the newsletter for the last two weeks. I had a friend once who printed "If you read this, bring it to me signed tomorrow for a prize." Only two kids brought it back. It's a little depressing when you put so much work into something.

7. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Mar 28, 2010

Another reason for the daily email... it requires LITTLE work - I pretty much copy/paste from the day before and just change the activities/books, etc. If they don't read it, I don't sweat it... but many do because it gives them something to chat with their child about at dinner.

8. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Mar 28, 2010

halpey-that's a cool idea- I might do that for my parents next year, as I communicate with many of them through e-mail.

I send home a newsletter every Moday with objectives for the week, spelling words, upcoming events and then notes of what's going on in the class. I know my parents read it. If for some reason the child doesn't have it in their folder-- Tuesday they are asking for another copy. I also post it on the website each week, so they can read it there as well. I find it a very good way to communicate.

9. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Mar 28, 2010

I send monthly newsletters. I tried doing daily updates/homework on Twitter and a class website, but traffic died quickly. I don't have a technology-friendly class this year.

10. tgim

tgim Habitué

Mar 29, 2010

My team teacher and I do a weekly newsletter w/ spelling and vocab words, and we provide info about any tests or unusual activities that week.

I also have a classroom website for parents and students which I update weekly w/ spelling words, writing assignment, and class blog. I really only update three of the pages on the website: timely info (spelling words, other projects and activities), blog, and students' writing page where I showcase student writing. It takes about 15 minutes to update and the parents/students love having this resource.

I also send home a list of all spelling words for the unit at the beginning of each unit...with careful instructions to pay attention to the story title at the top of each column - this after a parent complained that her child studied all 100 words over one weekend and then was only tested on 20 words (yes, the student should have known which words were going to be tested!!).

We have flexible groupings for math, so when I start a new chapter, I also send home a math newsletter for that particular chapter.

11. Grover

Grover Cohort

Mar 29, 2010

Unfortunately, relatively few families in my wife's school have internet access.

12. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 29, 2010

I use a class website and I am really bad at updating.. Ths is an area I need to work in...

13. abc123teacher

abc123teacher Rookie

Mar 29, 2010

me too

I send them home weekly because we do a different theme each week and I just love to stay in contact with them. One great tip is to get them on an email list so you can send them the weekly newsletters via email (PDF format is usually easiest, but you can use Microsoft Word too). It will save on your printing costs -and- you'll be able to stay in touch with your parents if they have any questions (they can just reply to your email.)

14. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Mar 29, 2010

I usually send one home weekly, on Tuesdays (my students don't attend on Mondays)... I basically cover our theme, some activity highlights, and reminders... picture day is coming, send back your field trip forms, we're cooking on Wednesday, no school on Friday, we really need wet wipes, etc. I usually get the entire newsletter done in about 15 minutes.

When we're low on supplies, I know who reads it... but if they're not in backpacks the following day, i figure there's at least a shot :) I have a small class, so I try to write an individual note for each kid on Tuesdays when I can ("Johnny really like using the easel today!" or "Megan needs more diapers" or "Thanks for being first to respond about the field trip!"). I think that probably increases the likelihood that it gets read.

I'll also do a quicky one when we've done a cook cookingp roject or science experiment, so parents can duplicate it at home if they wish. Usually that's a half-page, tops, and I just print in my room.

15. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Apr 1, 2010

We are required to send home a weekly newsletter. I use Word and text boxes.

16. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 3, 2010

I send home a weekly newsletter every Monday. It includes what we're learning in each content area for the week (Language Arts, Math, Science, and Social Studies). It also includes a list of upcoming events (field trips, assemblies, fundraiser deadlines, etc). This is my first year sending home a newsletter, and I've received nothing but positive feedback from parents!

17. dunwool

dunwool Rookie

Apr 6, 2010

I have a classroom blog that I post on every day (or every other if its a dull day or I am super busy! :)) and that eliminates the waste of paper from all of those newsletters. Also I can post links easily and post pictures (after getting parent permission slips) that allow parents to really see and experience what our day was like. It has had amazing response this year! Hope this helps!