newsletters home

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by DaisyGirl, Aug 11, 2005.

1. DaisyGirl

DaisyGirl Rookie

Aug 11, 2005

I was wondering if anyone sent home monthly newsletters to parents? Also what do you put in the newsletters? I've never done this in the past fews years of teaching but I'm thinking of doing it this year.
    Thank you for your help!

3. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2005

I put in any important dates: field trips, assemblies, due dates (projects or book orders)

Reminders: library book due date, and anything else the kids seem to be "forgetting" like don't bring toys to school, etc.

Areas of focus for the month. What are we studying in math, reading, writing, etc.

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2005

I sent home a newsletter every week. I taught 1st. I did a quick recap of what we were learning and some questions to ask the kids about what we were learning. I also put anything that I may have needed for the classroom, our student of the week and who was to bring snack for the next week and if we were getting out of school early or if their was a change in our schedule!!!

I did a different border each month and the kids couldn't wait to see what the new border would be.

5. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 11, 2005

We do weekly or bi-weekly. We put the spelling list, what we are studying in each area, what your child should work on at home (we're starting time, please encourage your child to read the analog clocks at home...), field trips, book orders, due dates, tests, (we have a calendar at the bottom and fill in all the due dates, test dates...), needed materials, thank yous to chaperones, helpers at parties, etc., star of the week (if you do this kind of thing) sometimes I restate a school/state law-tardies, absences, time school starts. I used to do birthdays too. When I taught 3rd, I had two kids a week whose job was "journalist" they picked a topic and wrote a paragraph or two about it. they LOVED it!!

6. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 11, 2005

I do a weekly letter. Look on my website under Monday News to see a basic form. Right now I have explanations for parents. On the 22nd, I'll update it with our first Monday News paper.

7. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2005

When I taught prek I did a weekly and monthly newsletter. My monthly newsletter was to let parents know what we would be studying in the different subject areas for the month and also any other important things coming up for the month.....field trips, classroom celebrations, etc. In K I still send home a weekly newsletter, but I send home a monthly calendar for the parents with highligted dates for things they need to be aware of. THis also acts as the child's reading calendar, where parents record # of minutes read for the month and return the calendar at the beginning of the next month to receive monthly reading "prize".

8. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Aug 11, 2005

I also send home newsletters weekly. Every Monday, I send home a "calendar" of dates that show what is going on in the next couple of weeks (assemblies, field trips, family nights, PTA meetings). I also put in things that are going on in the school and in the classroom. I type it in word and use text boxes to separate items. It works well!

9. Anne Marie

Anne Marie Rookie

Aug 14, 2005

I have a question. I was wanting to do what we were doign in each subject through the week..whatever topic/concept. Another teacher in my grade level does it by day (lists the day and what's going on). I would rather not do that..especially because this is our second week back and we are starting to touch on academics. I would hate for the parents to think that I am only doing some stuff in different areas and not in another (since this week will still be just getting into stuff). What are your thoughts for my newsletter? Third grade by the way!
    Thank you!
    :)

10. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 14, 2005

I have done it two ways-depends on my time and space (on the newsletter) limit.
    Listing:
    Math: adding two digit numbers
    Science: animal habitats
    etc.

I have also put it into paragraph form:
    In math we have just begun adding two digit numbers, please practice with your child at home. One of the children's favorite units in science is animal habitats. WE will be researching animals, where they live, and making diorammas. ETc...
    Sometimes if I don't feel like stating it every week, because it is a long unit, I simply write: For the next four weeks we will be studying nutrition, and good eating habits. (BTW, we don't study it for 4 wks!!)

11. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Aug 15, 2005

"Ask Me About"

I don't know what grade you have, but something I did with 2nd/3rd was a weekly newsletter entitled "Ask Me About". Basically, the letter is addressed to the parents, signed by the student, and has text boxes of various sizes on it. In each box was a statement such as: "Ask me about today's assembly" Ask me about "so and so's" babies. (My students had a teacher the previous year that had twins and this was the day she brought them in for us to meet.) The purpose of this letter is to get the parents and kids talking. If the parents ask the child about something on the letter, then hopefully the kids will recall what went on. I don't know if they did it or not, but I got a lot of compliments on it. I know a teacher who also did this with her 4th graders. I would usually add a section at the end that says "notes from the teacher" Here I would put important reminders. It took some time to build the letter because I got creative with the text boxes and fonts, but I think it looked inviting when it was all finished. This year I have 7/8 so I'm not sure if I will use it or not. Hope this helps.
    PS My principal LOVED this because I used technology to make it. I usually just did it in WORD with text boxes. ;)

12. Nisey

Nisey Companion

Aug 15, 2005

I send home a newsletter every month. In it I include Important Dates to Remember, a short blurb on what the children will be learning in each core subject area, and little reminders about school. The parents seem to like to know what's going on.

13. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2005

I also do a weekly newsletter. Mine goes home on Fridays with their behavior cards for the week attached.

I handwrite mine because I have decent handwriting and its just easier for me:)

I have a "Skills and Concepts we're learning" section where I list all of the things we've been doing that week. I also do a "Upcoming Events" section where I write all of the school, class, and district events and meetings in order. I also include times and places where needed and I included class tests. The third and final section is "FYI" where I listed birthdays and other information, such as thank yous to parent volunteers or items that we have on our wish list, such as tissues or Clorox wipes.

Last year I started having my students write articles on school activities to add onto the newsletter. The kids loved it! I only had them write 3-4 sentences last year for 2nd grade, but now I'm going to ask for a little more in 3rd grade. The kids really enjoyed the job and the parents loved it too. Then each month we select an article or two to be published in the principal's newsletter that goes home with every student in the school.

BTW- I made my newsletter template in Microsoft word and just make copies of it :)