Newsletter Questions

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by SaraFirst, Jun 15, 2008.

1. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Jun 15, 2008

1. Do you have your students do parts of your newsletter? I think I might pick a few students a week to write something for my newsletter next year. I am trying to decide how I want to do it.

2. Does your newsletter tell about events for the upcoming week or events that already happened in the previous week? I have always told what we will be working on in the upcoming week, so parents know what to expect, but I was reading something about newsletters telling about learning that has already occurred.

3. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Jun 15, 2008

Weekly Newsletter

1. No
    2. I have a weekly section called 'Dear Parents' where I talk about the week that has passed and if there are any reminders for the week we are on. I send my newsletter home on Mondays. I have several sections that are recurring from one week to the next- Spelling, Specials Schedule, Helping Your child Learn to Read, and Math another one is 'Coming Soon' section, here I write important dates, holidays, school events. Other headings I put in when needed are, Wanted, Website of the Week, Behavior Bulletin, and Outstanding Achievement (recognizing a student for something extra-ordinary), and FAQ.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  4. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Jun 15, 2008

I talk about things that have already happened. Within that, I tell how those things build for things we will be doing. I also include "Questions to Ask Your Child" as a conversation starter to parents. I include 3-5 per week. The parents have commented that they really appreciated this.

Once a quarter/trimester, I have students produce a newspaper as part of our writing. They are in charge of the articles, the typing, the editing and the layout.

5. AngelM

AngelM Rookie

Jun 15, 2008

I have not had my students do any part of the newsletter, but one of my peers did and it was really cute. A student would do a small piece of artwork on the newsletter.

In my newsletters I would do a blurb about something we had worked on in the previous week ("Ask your child what he/she learned about . . . "). My main focus, though, was on what was to come. I communicated the standards/skills to be taught the following week, vocab lists, spelling lists, and upcoming dates and events to remember.

6. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jun 15, 2008

1. My student of the week writes a paragraph on the back of our newsletter and talks about their favorite thing about that week. It's really cute. I call them my guest columnist.

2. I talk about our upcoming week, so they have an idea of what will be happening the next week. I also write about any behavior issues or missing homework.

7. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jun 15, 2008

1. My students don't contribute to the newsletter, but some other teachers at our school have the kids write up what they did at school that week.

2. I talk about what we did in school the previous week, and send reminders about things for the upcoming week, such as field trips, forms due, events at school, etc. I rarely talk about curriculum I "plan" on doing for the week, because sometimes it doesn't happen.

I send mine out on Monday each week so the parents find out what happened the previous week and it's still pretty fresh. On Monday it also makes sense to give information about HW, or any of the other things relevant for the current week. I call it the Monday Memo.

8. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Jun 16, 2008

Thanks everyone! I think I will try to have my students do part of the newsletter and see how it goes.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 16, 2008

I use a letter format each Friday and kids don't contribute. The school issues a weekly newsletter, though, and it often contains kids' critiques of field trips or class projects, etc.