Newsletter - Mothly or Weekly?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by cgibbs7, Jul 26, 2008.

1. cgibbs7

cgibbs7 Rookie

Jul 26, 2008

What do you think would be best for a first grade class? :)

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Jul 26, 2008

Weekly is a HUGE committment. Are you sure you have time to do a newsletter each week?

4. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Jul 26, 2008

The woman I student taught with tried to do one weekly. I managed to do that my first year but found it difficult. Since then it has become bi-weekly (at least). I find I don't have enough to write about and feel like I'm repeating myself a lot. I also found that parents were ignoring them!! (which really annoyed me since I was working so hard on them when I was doing them weekly!) I've been thinking about doing them monthly this year. The 2nd grade teachers do one weekly. (and always have it done on Wed. of that week!)

5. soflgal

soflgal Companion

Jul 26, 2008

I started doing one about mid year last year. I did it weekly, but noticed sometimes I didn't have enough news and was repeating myself. I will be doing it again this year but start at the beginning of the year. I will prob do bi-weekly as I love first said. My son was in 1st grade last year and his teacher did a simple weekly letter with spelling words, math and grammar focus for the week along with one or two notes for the week.

6. KinderCan

KinderCan Rookie

Jul 26, 2008

Weekly for me

I teach Kindergarten and we all do a weekly newsletter. Our parents always thank us for the weekly reminders. I have had some parents come back when their child was in first grade complaining because some of the teachers did not send a weekly newsletter. But I also say to each his own!

7. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2008

I agree -- it is a HUGE committment. I tried to do it weekly 2 years ago but to no avail. I do a monthly newsletter with my grade level team and I also send multiple emails to my parents to keep them updated on things throughout the month...i.e. field trips, units of study, etc.:D

8. meltua

meltua Rookie

Jul 26, 2008

I have always done weekly for 1st grade. I just include spelling words, math topic, our weekly reading story and phonics focus, and any reminders or important dates. It's really not very time consuming, I use the same format every week and just fill in the blanks. I can type it, print, and copy on Friday while the kids are in PE.

9. Lysander

Lysander Companion

Jul 27, 2008

When I taught first grade, I did a weekly newsletter called the First Grade Flash. It had a column for curriculum updates, important dates, our student of the week, birthdays, and a Getting to Know...(teacher, aide, principal, secretary, student teacher, etc.) On the bak was the spelling list and homework for the week. It took only about 15-20 minutes to fill in each week once I had the template. Now that I'm in a new school, the school's weekly newsletter carries much of that, so I don't do a class newsletter unless there is something important to get out to parents that is specific to second grade.

10. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 27, 2008

I was required to do one monthly, but ended up doing it weekly. This year I'm going to send a hard copy home monthly and do updates on my website.

11. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Jul 27, 2008

I send home a weekly homework packet -- so that takes care of spelling words and such. But at our school, they are notorious for sending us information on Tuesday that must go home Tuesday because it is for a program on Wednesday! In otherwords, I end up sending home notes so often anyway that a weekly newsletter just isn't worth it.

12. JenL

JenL Comrade

Jul 28, 2008

parents do always comment about weekly newsletters...what i do is keep the same template and if you don't have much stuff for a week it is ok if it is shorter. some of the reminders stay the same week to week depending on what they are.
    i do
    important reminders....
    then
    this week in first grade...
    then
    star students of the week....

kids love to see their names in the newsletters going home and if i commit to doing the newsletter during one special a week it gets done.

13. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2008

I do a weekly newsletter. This year I am going to try and get more parents to check out my blog for info. I'd love to phase out the whole paper thing.

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2008

I did a weekly one as well. I kept the layout basically the same for all of them, just updated the info.

Like most did important stuff, did an overview of what was taught in a couple sentences in each subject. Example... This week in Science we learned stages of water. Ask your student to tell you about the experiment & what they learned. Something along those lines.

I kept it simple for me & for the parents. Oh, but I did change the "border art" every month & the students were so excited to see what the new month would bring.