Newsletter Ideas

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by lehcar1021, Oct 13, 2008.

1. lehcar1021

lehcar1021 Rookie

Oct 13, 2008

One of the sections in my monthly newsletter is "Since You Asked". In this section I answer an issue that I think many Kinder families could benefit from. For example, in September, I had some parents ask about how to deal with Separation Anxiety. Which worked for me as well, because some parents were coming in the room and making it worse for the kids. (crying, etc) After Open House, some parents were curious why their kids "played" so much.
    Even when parents haven't asked me anything, I still complete this section to educate families. No one knows who has asked me what!

I'm stuck on some other Kinder issues/concerns that I can put here. I was thinking something along the lines of healthy snacks, since some parents keep sending in unhealthly lunch and snack items. Any other ideas?

3. Kteacher06

Kteacher06 Companion

Oct 14, 2008

I do something similar with my newsletters called "Kinder Q & A" (I like your title - cute!!). Anyway, a lot of times I focus on school related issues - pick up/drop off, lunch issues, tardiness, etc. A lot of times these are things I've already discussed with parents, but they "forget." I've also included articles and ideas on how to reinforce reading and writing at home, ways to engage your child in a specific subject, how to read and be read to, etc.

4. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 14, 2008

If you're looking for parenting issues you could include something about how to say no. My students are always trying to argue with me or make deals. It drives me crazy! I think parents just don't know how to say no sometimes, and they let their children talk them into things and change their minds.

5. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Oct 14, 2008

You could also put what teacher lingo means like what are sight words, what is guided reading, stuff like that.

I was also thinking you could put the importance of reading to their child every night.

6. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Oct 15, 2008

At this time I always remind my families about scheduals. Older sibs are beginning to have heavier activity nights, shopping will increase with holidays, not to mention the holidays. So I run items about how much sleep the children need, how eating w/family not in front of tv is linked to school success.

7. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Oct 16, 2008

I also go online to the scholastic book club flyers. They are flyers that have different monthly articles and reading levels of books in that flyer. They always have a question and answer section (how can I help my kid be a better reader, what can I do to help them write, etc) I don't know where exactly, but they are the scholastic book club newsletters that match the catalog for each age group.

8. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 19, 2008

I may just have to steal that idea - I like that! Maybe how am I challenging the kids? What can I do at home to help them? What can we (the parents) do to help the class?

9. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 19, 2008

I also love your "Since You Asked" section.

I've added a section called, "Something We Did This Week" and put something down for each day of the week...a new poem, new phonics sound or painting; I think the parents really like this.