News story about a blog chronicling school lunch for one year

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caesar753, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 21, 2011

3. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2011

I am sorry but that nutrition association person they talked to is either lying or delusional. I know there are schools who try to do better but I am pretty sure that the lunches like the ones she had pictured ARE the norm.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 21, 2011

I absolutely agree.

5. mkate

mkate Comrade

Jan 21, 2011

I've been following this blog for awhile. It made me pretty thankful for the quality of school lunch here in Spain... The teachers who stay for lunch (we're on a split timetable) can eat at the cafeteria (in a different room, not with the kids) and while sometimes we have different choices, for the most part it's what the kids eat-- and it's quite decent food.

6. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jan 21, 2011

I think her blog was a great idea to call attention to school lunch quality and health.

I am fortunate to work in a district that serves fairly healthy foods all the time. We have whole wheat bread/buns, and they hardly ever serve french fries or cookies at my elementary school. When they do, its a big treat for the kids and not a norm at all-- we are used to fruits and veggies! They DO, however, sell ice cream every day in the afternoons-- but it is low fat (about 100 calories).

7. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Jan 21, 2011

Lunches at my school are pretty gross. They have salads available, which are mainly just iceberg lettuce, but the kids rarely eat them. They also have these weird chicken nugget sandwich wraps, which are our other healthy choice.

I've never eaten the cafeteria food.

8. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 22, 2011

I was just coming to post this. I think it's really amazing! I stopped eating school lunch as part of my diet plan. It was over half of my recommended calories for each day!

ETA: As someone at very high risk for heart disease, I'm supposed to limit sodium intake. The school lunches in my district would often have the total number of sodium I should eat in a whole day in one meal!

9. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jan 22, 2011

My old school always served a salad bar with every lunch, and the kids used it all the time. Of course, drowning your salad in Ranch defeats the purpose! When I was student teaching, they started breakfast in the classroom. Breakfast was WHOLE milk, sugar cereal, and a donut. When I asked about the food, they told me to qualify for the free breakfast program, they had to hit a certain caloric number, hence the whole milk and sugary foods.
    I followed this blog for a while and was interested in the lunches that the writer sent with her son to school.

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 22, 2011

Well, I have to be honest. I'd seen her blog previously and just now browsed a bit. What irks me the most is the amount of paper and plastic waste. It's shocking how some schools package their lunches. :(

11. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

Jan 22, 2011

I actually found this woman's blog earlier today, and I was intrigued. The state of school lunches is pretty devastating. The breakfasts are even worse--when I was student teaching, the breakfast menu included "sausage/pancake dog on a stick" and "super-donuts." It made me sad to know that my students were getting such poor nutrition at the school, but the school could do nothing about the offerings (the vast majority of the students at the school qualified for free or reduced lunch).

That said, the cafeteria workers had a phenomenal policy at lunch: ask each student if they would like vegetables. The workers told me that simply making the suggestion made the students not only more likely to ask for the veggies but also made them more likely to EAT them. Even the people on the front lines make a difference when it comes to nutrition!

12. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jan 22, 2011

AMEN!!! School lunches are NOT healthy!

I saw that too! It's apparent that the cafeteria does nothing but warm up the food instead of cooking it. I work in a school just like this lady's and her description almost matches my school to a T except for having pizza all the time, we have bean and cheese burritos and tacos all THE time.

13. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Jan 23, 2011

Our cafeteria workers used their own money to buy some seasonings like Mrs. Dash, garlic powder and parmesan cheese to dress up veggies a little bit. Even kids who say they won't eat veggies at home eat Ms. R's veggies! :)

Our school lunches aren't horrific but they definitely aren't healthy even if they are technically low-cal. We do have fruit and veggies every meal but a lot of things are microwaved in a package :p

14. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 23, 2011