Newly pregnant and interviewing

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by baylee924, Jun 27, 2006.

1. baylee924

baylee924 Rookie

Jun 27, 2006

Tomorrow I am going to interview for my dream job. It is at the school I did part of my student teaching at, and it is teaching a subject that I love and am highly qualified in. My question is, I just found out a couple of weeks ago that I am pregnant. Should I tell the principal during the interview, or wait and see if I am offered the job? I am due in February, and plan on taking six weeks off and coming back. Is honesty the best policy in this case?

3. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Jun 27, 2006

Re: Interviewing and newly Preggo

First of all... CONGRATULATIONS on your Amethyst Angel!!

Nope... do not offer your "good news" yet. For your sake, I would keep your secret until you are through the first trimester-- just to be safe. You do not want to give a potential employer any reason to question whether or not you are the best person suited for the job. Once you've signed the contract and are being introduced during the "get to know you meetings"/inservice, then you can share that news as an icebreaker.

Personal story... I shared the news of my 2nd child on an inservice day. Unfortunately, the next afternoon my doc called with some frightening news. My quad screen came back with some abnormalities. I had to miss out on part of a day of inservice to be taken in for additional ultrasounds and finally an amnio. I started regretting telling everyone "just in case" our news was bad and the pregnancy would be terminated. I even tried to hide my "bump" at OPEN HOUSE that evening as I didn't want my new students and parents to realize that I was preggo. It turned out that my levels were high but my darling little "bug" was safe, sound, and completely healthy. My little Amethyst Angel arrived via C-section on Feb. 4th, 2005.

I hope all goes well for you. Good luck with the interview and pregnancy.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2006
  4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 27, 2006

Congratulations.

I worked with someone who did not share this until the first day of school. It was also her first day at the school, too! We were all shocked because she already had 5 children and she was not even 30 years old.

This past year a teacher announced her 3-week pregnancy and then lost him in the 3rd month. The hardest part for her was teachers and students coming up to her and asking about the baby after she lost it. We have a large school (over 1600 students and over 75 staff members), so sometimes word is slow to get around or people delete e-mails without reading them.

5. SmartCookie

SmartCookie Comrade

Jun 27, 2006

I completely agree with the above. I would not tell anyone outside of family and close friends until you pass the first trimester. What an exciting time. A new family member and hopefully a new career.

6. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2006

I agree. I would wait until later to tell. I told everyone right away (its hard not to when you are excited). Everything was fine and I was never at risk but I wish I had waited just so I could quietly enjoy it for myself. Also they may not hire you and you'll never know if it was because your were pregnant (i know its illegal but it jhappens) or because they lked someone else better. I would keep quiet.

And congrats...being pregnant is an interesting and fun experience. Enjoy it

7. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 27, 2006

They were hiring a teacher at my school, and she was due in August I think. So she wouldn't be starting out the year, she'd have a long term sub. BUT the administration could only base it on who the best candidate for the job, which was her, so she got it! But it's up to you whether you tell or not.

Congrats!!

8. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jun 27, 2006

I agree! Especially if you are teaching in a grade that has TCAP testing... Your leave will fall into that prime time of review & some principals may worry about scores.

Good luck! Where in Tn. are you teaching?

9. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jun 27, 2006

Being pregnant is something that districts can not discriminate against, but I still wouldn't tell them until after you are offered and accept the job. Otherwise, they might come up with some other excuse (even though it is the pregnancy thing). Plus, they are not allowed to ask personal questions like that, so you shouldn't have to worry about offering it either. Congratulations and good luck in the interview!

10. baylee924

baylee924 Rookie

Jun 27, 2006

Thanks everyone for all the comments! I guess I won't say anything... I just feel bad since I know the principal personally and don't want there to be hard feelings later when I do tell. I really need the job, especially with the baby coming.

Loves2Teach, I am from Crossville in East TN. Where are you from?

11. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2006

Well a lot of people wait until they are in their second trimester to tell. Its VERY common. :)

12. Miz_Sanders

Miz_Sanders Rookie

Jun 27, 2006

Congrats! That is so exciting! I totally understand where you are coming from, but I too would wait. If the principal knows you personally, he or she should be more willing to accept that you chose to share your great news later rather than sooner.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2006

HI, and congrats!!

Most people I know try not to tell anyone at all until that first trimester is over, or almost over, just for safety's sake.

For both my February daughters, I told the principal in August, shortly before school opened.

14. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2006

I would wait....and as far as tellling everyone, it would a a nice "ice breaker" for inservice meetings..but tell your admin. first..it's okay to make it a surprise for everyone else, but not them....
    As for telling parents....seek advice of your administration...sometimes parents get CRAZY when they hear/find out that their child's teacher is going to be out for (gasp!) six weeks!!
    Congrats and best of luck!

15. TheConspiracy

TheConspiracy Companion

Jun 28, 2006

I agree - telling after the end of your first trimester is TOTALLY normal. I have a hard time completing pregnancies (not the getting pregnant part - I've got that down) and suffered NUMEROUS miscarriages (one at 4.5 months!) before having my son. I learned early on to leave the good news to myself until the first 3/4 months are over or (if you are a lil girl like me) as soon as you can't hide it because people just don't buy that you are simply getting "fat" (lol...chicken legs and this big ol belly raises some eyebrows)

~J