Newly hired PreK teacher seeking advice

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by rgar, Jun 19, 2013.

1. rgar

rgar New Member

Jun 19, 2013

Hi all!

I've been a long time lurker on this site and finally joined tonight after signing my first teaching contract today to teach PreK. I have spent the past year as a para working with 4th and 5th graders but have had a strong desire to work with the little ones. I consider myself very fortunate to get hired to teach my first choice level but now find myself searching for advice from some of you seasoned professionals. I have spent the last few months researching centers and behavior management plans but feel like there may be some more practical tips out there that pertain to the experience as a whole ... I would be so happy to hear a few pointers, as I want to make this year a wonderful experience for the kids.

A little about me: I will be working with 4 year olds in a full day program. While I believe any gender and age can be a great teacher, I would like to acknowledge that I am a relatively young dude. :) Thank you all in advance!!!

3. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jun 19, 2013

Welcome fellow Texan!
    You will have the time of your life.
    Here are some pointers...
    *Just be yourself
    *Be firm, and consistent
    *Don't play favorites
    *Always get down to their eye level
    *Make it FUN!
    *Make MUSIC a part of your program. It can make a BIG difference.
    MORE later...
    Rebel1

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 20, 2013

rgar. Welcome to A to Z and the PS world. We can be very helpful here on A to Z. But, to help you, I need some info on what you know. Do you have a degree in Ed or something else? Have you any education in preschool?

I am a retired PS teacher. I have taught/directed in almost every kind of PS that exits. I love helping teachers.

Do you know what curriculum you will be using? Do you know anything about Developmentally Appropriate Practice, Piaget, or Maslow?