Discussion in 'Special Education' started by southgaguy, Aug 11, 2008.

1. southgaguy

southgaguy Rookie

Aug 11, 2008

Hey everyone!! This is my first year in special education(first year teaching). I am teaching severe/profound. Through my first year I am sure I will have many questions that I hope you guys are willing/able to help me with. We started school on the 1st, so I am making it good so far. I have 4 students; nonverbal and wheelchair bound. In addition they are visually impaired. A daunting task for my first year, but I am up for the challenge. I feel like the black sheep b/c I'm figuring things out on my own. I need a support group to come to for advice. My name is David and I live way down in Southern Georgia. I look forward to reading your posts and gaining knowledge from you guys. :)

3. inhisgrip20

inhisgrip20 Comrade

Aug 11, 2008

Hey David, Welcome to A to Z from a fellow Southerner and Congrats on your first year teaching!! Where exactly are you from? I was born and raised in south Georgia and graduated from Valdosta State University 4 years ago. But I've since migrated up to Atlanta. :)

Do you have a degree in special education or what is your background? Also, what age group do you have? Keep us posted on your first year and hit us up for advice or any questions you may have. I teach students with severe/profound disabilities, grades K-5.

4. southgaguy

southgaguy Rookie

Aug 11, 2008

I live in Adel,GA. I am teaching in Douglas which is an hour from my house. I went to school at VSU as well, but I have a business degree. I went through the GATapp program to earn my teaching certification. My certification is in early childhood. I will be taking my GACE in October for Sped Adaptive Curriculum and I begin my Masters in Sped on the 18th of this month.

5. southgaguy

southgaguy Rookie

Aug 11, 2008

Oh and age groups.....I have two 7th graders, one 8th grader, and one 2nd grader

6. inhisgrip20

inhisgrip20 Comrade

Aug 11, 2008

Wow that's a wide age range all in one room. Is this a self-contained group? You have them all in one room at the same time?

Adel! We're practically neighbors. I'm from Tifton. I've passed through Adel many of times on my way down 75. I even bought my current SUV at Cook County Ford! :)

7. southgaguy

southgaguy Rookie

Aug 11, 2008

I just bought my Taurus from there. I can see their flag from my house.
    The age range is wide b/c the middle school does not have a facility for these students. When they leave me they will go directly to high school. I am a self-contained class. I'm going to lean on my paras when it comes GAA time. There will be a lot of individual time with me and let them reinforce what I have taught. There are only 3 of us and four of them. We'll do the best we can.

8. Teach96

Teach96 Comrade

Aug 11, 2008

Congratulations on making it through your first 2 weeks.

I have found that this is a great group.

I would look into CECs LCCE Moderate curriculum. I'm not sure the IQ level of your students but I will be using this with my Moderate Middle Schools.

9. inhisgrip20

inhisgrip20 Comrade

Aug 11, 2008

Well, if you need some suggestions for 2nd grade GAA I can help. You're on your own with the 7th and 8th graders though! lol Let me know if you need any ideas.

I'm already stressin' about GAA because I'm currently not able to be at school. I broke my ankle at the end of last school year (slipped on some water in my classroom) and still unable to return to work per my surgeon's orders. :( I'm relying VERY heavily on my parapros right now. It's a good thing that one of them is AMAZING!

10. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 11, 2008

I'm teaching a self-contained moderate-severe classroom. What is their functioning level? That's more important than grades....I range in functioning level (my class that is, not me :)) from 24 months to mid first grade. Whatcha need help with???

11. southgaguy

southgaguy Rookie

Aug 11, 2008

It's hard to find the time too apply any curriculum. They are loaded down with therapies daily. Mondays I can't keep them awake and it takes an hour just to feed them breakfast then lunch. Seems like over half the day is devoted to feeding and therapy. Time management will be my downfall.

12. southgaguy

southgaguy Rookie

Aug 11, 2008

I've got my standards I want to use. In the process of coming up with my EQ'S. 4 standards for the 2nd grader and 6 for the others. Once I get them and myself on a schedule things should start to fall into place.