Newbie Question

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Unbeknownst, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

Apr 12, 2010

Are teaching salaries negotiable or are they mandated?

3. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

Apr 12, 2010

There should be a "pay scale" already set up in the district. You will get paid according to how credentialed you are and how much education you have. Then as you gain more education and more years with the district you can move over a column and up a step. I hope that made sense!
    http://www.fusd.net/district/hr/salary/pdf/200809CertSalarySch.pdf
    That is the link to my district's....in case you need a visual aid! :)

4. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Apr 12, 2010

Mandated by the individual school districts. Each district is required to pay the state minimum, but it's really only super rural districts that pay the minimum.

Imo, it would be somewhat of a faux pas to discuss anything related to salary during an interview with a public school district - it's kind of expected that you've already reviewed the salary scale. With a private or charter school, it would be acceptable to discuss salary since they're able to pay whatever they want.

5. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

Apr 12, 2010

Figured.

Just wanted to dot my i's and cross my t's.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 12, 2010

What's somewhat negotiable is what step you start on...

7. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Apr 12, 2010

You may be able to find the salary schedules on the internet for your surrounding districts, I know NY has them posted bc they are public knowledge.

New2...There are an awful lot of credits needed to move colums! Ours is 15 credits for each move but we do have to pay for our classes ourselves, do you?

czacza- I've heard that too but in this economy I wonder if it stands true?

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 12, 2010

I wouldn't play hard ball, but it's worth highlighting any past experience that would put you on a higher step on the scale- in my area, the superintendant makes that decision. When I came to my district, I had 2 years private Catholic school experience (no help with salary step!), a Masters degree (got hired at a level on the step that paid me for that) and one year experience in a local school (the school I was leaving to take this job)...the supe put me on Step 1 (we have a step 0) with Masters pay.

More recently we hired a teacher who was a staff developer- we hired him for a classroom job- who was working towards his administrative certificate. He had a few years under his belt in public school as well, and was hired several steps above other new new teachers hired at the same time.

In both this teacher's case and mine, we had jobs we were leaving to come to our district. In this economy, you don't want to hide your light under a bushel basket- play up your special skills, certifications-stand out and shine- it's what will make you more competitive! And then when it comes down to the salary offer (I was actually ASKED what my salary requirements were, but that was 10 years ago and a different superintendant than we have now) , keep in mind the economy and budget constraints, but don't sell yourself short if you have some experience that could warrant a step up.

9. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

Apr 13, 2010

We pay for our classes as well. It worked out well for me because I already had my MA and 1/2 of an MA in another subject so I started on the higest column

10. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Apr 13, 2010

In Oklahoma you don't get to count private schools for your experience with public, but you can count so many (I can't remember the number) of out of state years experience. You also can count some military experience on that scale (not sure how many).

11. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 13, 2010

Like czacza said (at least where I've been in NJ), where you start on the scale is negotiable, esp if you are coming into a job with some years of experience. If you are a brand new teacher, you won't be able to move up a few steps just because of good Praxis scores or recommendations. The salary guides themselves, though, are different for each district and even unions within the district. For example, our teachers union has a different salary guide than the support staff, administrators, etc.

Hope that helps!