Newbie- Help!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeacherBug08, Oct 3, 2013.

1. TeacherBug08

TeacherBug08 Companion

Oct 3, 2013

I am a first year teacher and I love teaching first grade. I have finally gotten everything down so my classroom is moving smoothly EXCEPT my second math block at the very end of the day. I have a hard time doing small groups with math. What are your rules during math block? What do you have the whole class do while you pull students--work with math manipulatives or worksheet (do you treat it kind of like Daily 5- stay in one spot, no talking or whispering, try to be independent etc.)? I would love, love ideas, advice..anything!

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Oct 4, 2013

My kids are in math stations. We review expectations just like we did for literacy stations and writing workshop (discuss their job and how I have a job to do. While they are working, I am working too, (small groups and 1:1 conferring) and they are not to come up to me). Mine are allowed to talk - math talk, that is... I should hear them saying numbers and thinking math. Some of my stations are partner activities so it does require talking. We just review the acceptable noise level. I do walk around and observe and do 1:1 conferences the majority of the math time. Then I pull 1 group a day. I've found if I do more than 1 group, then I'm not aware of what the rest of the class is doing most of the time.