NEW

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by 1gdteach, Sep 2, 2011.

1. 1gdteach

1gdteach Companion

Sep 2, 2011

Hey everyone. I have been a member for a while, but I am new to Kindergarten... I have taught 1st grade for 4 years and I started this year out in 1st grade as well, but because of the low numbers in our school for first grade I have been moved (by choice) to a new school and a new grade which is KINDERGARTEN... I have NEVER taught Kinder before and I am so SCARED... I am looking for any advice or ideas...

3. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Sep 3, 2011

Welcome to K! I am sure you will do great! Just remember the first few weeks are probably the hardest! You have to teach EVERYTHING! If you have specific questions just ask!

4. Laurie12820

Laurie12820 Rookie

Sep 9, 2011

Welcome to K! Start with reviewing the basics: colors and shapes. Then move on to introducing letters and numbers and how to write them. Start with some easy sight words to practice. Eventually move on to letters and their sounds and reading decodable books. You'll do just fine!

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 9, 2011

Remember, the first three months or so, will be very tough. I know I spent the majority of the first few weeks of school just reviewing rules, procedures, etc. I made this part of my morning routine and made sure to practice it when they needed it or became sloppy. You may think you are wasting a lot of time, but you'll thank yourself later in the school year when you are deep in the curriculum and you don't have to struggle with classroom management.

Ever since my first year, classroom management has always been very strong. You can't teach if they aren't listening. :)

Work with your team mates and see what they are doing. When I first started out, my team mates were essentially my mentors. :)