New York/Westchester school district hiring difficulties

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by msz101, Jul 11, 2016.

1. msz101

msz101 Rookie

Jul 11, 2016

Hello everyone,
    Just wondering if anyone has had major difficulty finding a job in Westchester county in the elementary teaching field? I had several interviews in the past, nothing came out of it. So far this year I've been on two interviews. The first one was for a first grade position, didn't get to the second round. Second interview got called to do a demo lesson and never heard back from the district. I called three weeks later to follow up and the secretary said "oh, those positions have already been filled". It's so unprofessional to not let the candidates know if they weren't selected. If I didn't call to find out, I would have never been notified. Just recently got an email from the superintendent of one district saying that they viewed my resume on olas and if I was interested in the position to email him back a resume and cover letter, which I did. It seems like it's all who you know in these districts and not what you know. No matter how many good answers you give to the interview questions, the job seems to always go to someone else. Anyone else feeling this frustration?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2016

Unfortunately schools aren't really good about letting unselected candidates know they've gone with another choice. And of those that do notify, candidates generally aren't satisfied with the generic 'we went with a different candidate, thanks for applying' kind of rejection
    Sounds like your resume and cover are getting you in the door. Do you need some interview or demo help?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  4. msz101

msz101 Rookie

Jul 11, 2016

Thanks czacza for your reply. From your opinion, what truly makes a candidate stand out in an interview? Is there something that I should be saying or doing? Also, for the demo lesson, last time I did the lesson with chart paper, should I have done it with smart board technology?

Thanks for your help :)

Leaborb192 likes this.
  5. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2016

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  6. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 11, 2016

It's. EXTREMELY competitive to land a position in the suburbs of NYC. It's even pretty competitive in NYC, but you have slightly better odds. Elementary Ed 1-6 positions are a dime a dozen in this area and it is about who you know. Sometimes people get lucky, but those people are not fresh outta school, it's someone who has experience working in the city or has done long-term subbing in that district. Good luck but I would branch out of the suburbs for a permanent position.