New York transitioning to PARCC

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MikeTeachesMath, Nov 8, 2014.

1. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Nov 8, 2014

I read a few articles this morning that said the NY Board of Regents has decided we'll be transitioning to the PARCC exams by 2018. Essentially, students in math and English classes will be guinea pigs for the next few years, and then even more so when PARCC actually goes into effect.

They also voted to cut state support for Global History 1 (aka all history before 1750 -- which will also increase burden on AP World History teachers), and to no longer require students to pass both the Global History and US History & Government state exams in favor of tech and career-oriented education. (Which, in my opinion, just seems like an out for NYC schools to increase graduation rates and therefore increase funding while not producing students any more prepared than in the past)

I'm pretty angry. Thoughts?

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Nov 8, 2014

I've seen little evidence that anybody responsible for making educational decisions in New York State cares about anything but helping corporations improve their profit margin.

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Nov 8, 2014

This is our first year of PARCC. I am NOT a huge fan, but I hated OGTs. Our kids could get 12/40 on the math and pass. Not appropriate IMO.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 8, 2014

This will be NJs first year taking PAARC. I'm sure it won't be a walk in the 'parcc':dizzy:
    Our fourth grade team has put science and SS on the back burner to focus on ELA and math. :(

6. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Nov 8, 2014

Oh, I can't wait for the PARCC, especially with our state third grade reading guarantee. Would like to invite the Ohio General Assembly to give it a try.

7. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Nov 8, 2014

Well, at least you will have a few years to transition. My district had a "trial run" last year and will begin using the PARCCs this Spring for all MS and HS freshman. The state decided that any 10th-12th grader that has already taken the old exam, the HSA, will continue to retake that exam instead of taking the PARCCs since these exams count for graduation requirements.

As for the "no more tests in History thing"; as a HS history teacher, I'm used to this. In many states, testing history as a graduation requirement is often low on the priority list. It just is what it is. There are only 4 state exams students have to pass to graduate in MD - Algebra, Biology, English II/10, and American Government. The American Government exam was removed as a requirement a few years ago and was just brought back last year. Social Studies is just not a priority.

Also, I am hugely in favor of promoting more career and tech education.

8. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Nov 8, 2014

Ohio has seven I think, at last count anyways, for graduation.
    English 9
    English 10
    American History
    American Government
    Physical Science
    Algebra I
    Geometry

Don't quote me on that though because I thought there was one for biology... And Algebra II is a required course... Now I need to go look it up.

9. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Nov 8, 2014

^^^ That's a lot of state exams. While the courses you listed are required for graduation here, there are only four state exams needed to graduation. Four is enough, IMO.

10. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Nov 8, 2014

Yes it is. Right now we have five and they're given one week during sophomore year.

The new testing scheme at my school means one or two in 8th grade (depending on track), 1-3 freshman year, 2-3 sophomore year, and 1 junior or senior year (govt). I'll be curious to see how it changes as the years go on.

11. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Nov 8, 2014

There are two diplomas in NYS: a regents diploma, and an advanced regents diploma.

The regents diploma requires:
    - Comprehensive English
    - Math (one)
    - Global History
    - US History
    - Science (one)
    - Foreign Language

The advanced one requires:
    - Comprehensive English
    - Algebra I
    - Geometry
    - Algebra II/Trig
    - Global History
    - US History
    - Earth Science or Chemistry or Physics
    - Biology
    - Foreign Language

And you can get honors designation on your diploma with a score of 90 or better on all the exams.

12. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Nov 8, 2014

You get four years! We've got four months! :dizzy:

13. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Nov 8, 2014

We start PARCC this Spring. Colorado didn't adopt the common core for Science or Social Studies, so Colorado created it's own state test for those. High school students will take that this month. Several high schools in my area have over 50% of students opting out- one high school in particular is at almost 90%! The opt out movement is getting huge around here. I am curious to see how many will also opt out of PARCC. I bet districts will make it extremely difficult to do so now that they have advanced warning that it will be an issue.

14. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Nov 9, 2014

In NJ, the students have to pass the HSPA - ELA and Math, and the Biology Content Exam, however I should state that the BCE has never "gone live", meaning the student has to sit for the exam, but the score is irrelevant - you don't have to pass it. PARCC is coming, but it isn't in place yet. They have been talking about PARCC for a couple of years, as most schools needed to acquire the computers in enough quantities to be able to test entire classes in one sitting. Our school acquired the computers, which mainly sit idle, doing very little, waiting for the PARCC to become part of our reality. I don't think we have any other state exams that MUST be taken to graduate.

15. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Nov 9, 2014

You cannot use the computers to teach student typing, formatting, research, on-line tests, thesuarus..etc?

I would want to get kids hands on with these computers.

16. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Nov 9, 2014

I certainly hope Colorado didn't decide to adopt CCSS for science and social studies. You'd have some very confused SS/Sci teachers if they did.

17. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Nov 9, 2014

:lol:

18. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Nov 9, 2014

Our population has no internet access. I do try to use them for the students to compose compare and contrast paragraphs the show comprehension, they can access publisher and powerpoint to create digital visual representations and charts, and I do encourage the students to use them for typing skills, but I came from a BYOD environment where we lived on Google, and now all they can see of it is what I download and print for them. I'm not arguing for them to have internet access - that is not in their best interest given their problems. I just know that the district I left was gearing up to have enough laptops to go live with the PARCC, and it was a large school. I try to use what I have and can to provide the most interesting lessons possible.

19. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Nov 9, 2014

I'm confused, are you saying your school does not provide internet access or your students do not have it at home?

If your school provides the access, I would want the students doing the things I suggested, regardless of their home situation.

20. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Nov 9, 2014

Most schools are extremely limited in computers and computer access. She's probably saying both... limited access in school, limited access at home.

21. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Nov 9, 2014

And for what it's worth... many schools have computers that do nothing but sit around waiting for tests. My school has $64,000 worth of computers that are only supposed to be used for tests. $16,000 worth of those computers sit in my classroom all year long... so I use them... but I'm really not supposed to, and I have to be prepared to have my kids shift in a second to our testing software if admin walks in.

22. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Nov 9, 2014

We do not have enough computers. We are very lacking in technology. 3rd grade will complete PARCC pencil and paper. 4th -8th will be online. It's not going to be pretty.

23. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Nov 9, 2014

That is why I am asking her. I don't know any school that would provide computers to every student for testing, but not have access to the internet.

Access at home is irrelevent imo.

24. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Nov 9, 2014

Yep, makes no sense, crappy teachers promoted to admin needs to stop.

Edit: in this example, good , strong admin is going to show in test results. Admin that has the computers sitting around, the internet access, AND allows their staff to guide students into using the technology is going to be rewarded with better test scores...just for simple management and access...kudos to them. Your admin is not Smart enough to figure this out, lol, they are going to sink quickly.

25. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Nov 9, 2014

I wouldn't call it crappy teachers promoted to admin. These stupid tests have to be given, and more and more, they are being required to give them on the computer. If you run a school with very little money, then you need to make sure that you have the minimum number of computers possible to administer the test, and then you have to make darned sure that nothing happens to cause any of those computers to become nonoperational.

26. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Nov 9, 2014

Of course, and if you check who I am responding to and your comments, we are talking about schools that DO have the technology and access. Yes, you will have to take care of things, just like everything else.

Not having the technology is another issue altogether.

27. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Nov 9, 2014

Our students are in therapy, and have no internet access. Period. Many have serious behavioral and emotional issues that leads to erratic and ill conceived decisions that can create physical harm. Think private school and therapy and you will be more enlightened. Many are residents at the school, others live in group homes, and only a few live at home. It is an intense environment, but the rewards can be significant.

Still, we have the computers to be ready for the PARCC exams, because it will be mandated. :dizzy:

28. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Nov 9, 2014

There are no common core standards for science and social studies, right? I know there are supported ELA standards for each discipline, but no specific standards. Am I on the right track? Is that what you meant?

29. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Nov 9, 2014

LOL, yeah, gonna be funny when people find out you have all these computers but can't use them for the test.

30. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Nov 9, 2014

Sorry, had no idea...my principal just the other day said that other states had them but we weren't adopting them and that's why we have to take this additional science and ss state test. I don't teach Science or SS so it doesn't effect me.

31. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Nov 9, 2014

The Next Generation Science Standards, or NGSS, are on the way. NJ is going in that direction, trying to get everyone on board. These standards came out a little over a year ago, and most science teachers have seen them. They will be the science component standards of the common core.

32. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Nov 9, 2014

The NGSS are something separate from CCSS. In my ever-humble opinion, the development and implementation of the NGSS is what should have happened with CCSS.