New York Governor defends education cuts ...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Major, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Major

Major Connoisseur

Mar 17, 2011

What does Cuomo mean by "local school districts play political games?"

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/17/us-newyork-schools-idUSTRE72G7D320110317

"Cuomo told reporters on Thursday that his cuts average 2.7 percent per school district, and could be offset by rooting out inefficiencies, using reserve funds and lowering the salaries of superintendents.

"I know there is waste and abuse in the school districts; 2.7 percent in waste and abuse," Cuomo said after a private meeting with legislative leaders. "Districts say 'we don't have any.' I don't believe it."

Teachers' unions and school officials have attacked Cuomo's plan, saying that they've already made steep cuts in recent years, and that unfunded state mandates are driving up costs. Aid was cut by $1.4 billion in 2010 after being frozen in 2009. School districts have also assailed the governor's proposal to cap property tax increases."

3. Ponypal

Ponypal Comrade

Mar 17, 2011

That's a good question... I'd like to know what it means too! As a NY teacher, things are getting depressing here. There's so much wasted money spent on things and that has been brought to the attention of the school board. However, the board can only see that cutting classroom teachers, instead of other places, is the answer. They want us to make concessions and still take away teaching positions in my district. I'm wondering if the political games means they way that districts use teachers as pawns in their games that they play, and then misuse funds for their own agendas. We have new state of the art sports fields, and there was NO talk of cutting back on the sports teams. When it comes to faculty, there wasn't a second thought about cuts there. We are not done fighting this!

4. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Mar 17, 2011

I'm not sure what he is referring to....I just saw on the news though about a contest The Alliance for Quality Education held, students made video's in opposition of Cuomo's cuts!

http://www.aqeny.org/video-contest/

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 18, 2011

I think that those kid videos are an attempt to appeal to voters emotionally, not a concrete way to balance the budget without sacrificing education. Those voters don't have a say in any part of the budget that has to do with hiring.

No one WANTS to see education suffer. Or health care. Or elder care. Or any other sector of what the state or local budgets fund.

The cuts have to come somewhere, or more accurately, everywhere.

And I think that Govenor Cuomo's suggestions of "rooting out inefficiencies, using reserve funds and lowering the salaries of superintendents" are all incredibly logical places to start. We simply cannot afford another tax increase on Long Island. And if districts DO have a rainy day fund, perhaps it's time they realized that the taxpayers are busy building an ark!!!

But according to Newsday, my district stands to lose something like 18% of our budget (I think, though I may have the number wrong.) That's quite a leap from the 2.7% he mentions. Losing almost a fifth of our budget can't help but impact on the education my kids receive.

6. Major

Major Connoisseur

Mar 18, 2011

Wow..... Alice that's a big hit in your district..... How does the governors 2.7% cut turn into an 18% budget cut for Long Island districts?

Apparently New York (the state) is in for some really tough times.

On a side note - I read that 85% of New Yorkers disagree with the Last In, First Out thinking when it comes to cutting teachers... (Can't put my finger on that link at the moment)

7. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Mar 18, 2011

I agree with you 1000%. In my tiny NJ district, they want to cut dozens of teaching positions and only ONE admin position. Not that the admin will lose his job; he'll just be reassigned. It is appalling. But of course the admins are the decision makers so of course they're not going to cut their own positions. Instead, they lose nothing while the students and teachers lose everything.

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 18, 2011

I agree with Alice that cuts need to be made in this poor budget economy. Unfortunately for the people in our state, the gov has decided that education will be responsible for the majority of the cuts. I think the figures I read said that the state has a $1.6 billion shortfall and Scott plans that education cuts will cover $1.3 billion of that shortfall. So much for providing a world class education for our children.

9. Major

Major Connoisseur

Mar 18, 2011

swansong..... The kitty is broken in many (most) states and cuts are necessary.... but a $1.3 billion hit on education alone just doesn't make sense.....How does Rick Scott justify that? :(

10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 18, 2011

I don't want to start a political discussion, but, Rick Scott has no experience in government and the money he used to buy the election(70+million) he obtained as a CEO of a company that swindled the feds. In my opinion, he cannot justify anything he does.
    ...End of political discussion...