New York Coke Limit

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by JustMe, Sep 13, 2012.

1. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2012

Not sure of the specifics as far as where and when exactly, but many places will now see a sixteen ounce limit of non-diet cokes. I used to be opposed to such a thing...just let people eat what they enjoy. But I don't see this an unreasonable. I know Mars will not offer any candy bars over 250 calories soon enough. Again, seems reasonable. I think it teaches/reminds people about portion control and moderation.

Any opinions on this? My only question pertains to refills...

3. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Sep 13, 2012

Diet drinks are just as bad for your health as the non-diet ones. If they impose such a law, then it should be on all soft drinks.
    I can see the reasoning behind it, but that will rub people the wrong way; they will see it as infringing on their rights.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2012

I very much agree that diets are equally if not more unhealthy.

5. bison

bison Habitué

Sep 13, 2012

As a total soda-lover, I don't have an issue with it and I hope it spreads. If you really want that much more, then you can order two. I don't think a lot of people quite understand appropriate portion control because of what's available, and it does end up causing a strain on the rest of us through healthcare costs, etc. I think it should include diet soda as well. There is no situation where one person should be drinking one of those enormous 44oz sugary drinks from 7-11 all at once.

P.S. I like how we can see the regional variation of the words for soft drinks. :D Coke here means Coca Cola!

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 13, 2012

Some people may say that this public display of food control should have happened years ago, but, I say better late than never! I personally think it's a good thing, however, people will just buy two from now on if they usually get the huge size. I personally rarely drink soda.

7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 13, 2012

Diet sodas have no calories and no sugar-I agree they aren't "healthy" but certainly not as culpable as the regular ones when it comes to causing obesity issues.

I also used to think it was an infringement-but it does cost us a lot as a society in many ways, maybe something does need to be done. I remember Bill Maher used to talk about having a "Butter Tax".

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 13, 2012

What? I think it is ridiculous - and won't have any impact anyway. Who would know if someone refilled a cup 5 times? What will they try to enforce next? Maybe a fat person won't be able to order an ice cream cone.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 13, 2012

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2012

I can't even finish a 12 ounce can of anything. I never purchase those huge drinks. I've never been one to drink much.

When I was on dialysis, I was limited to 48 ounces of fluid per day. (That wasn't just drinks, that was all fluids, so I had to watch foods that were liquid at room temperature, too.) Some of the people I had dialysis with were constantly complaining about how they had to drink more than that. Some days I had trouble getting that much!

11. bison

bison Habitué

Sep 13, 2012

I think it might help a little bit, even if some will refill their cups nonstop. Most people go for convenience and just drink what they are given. I know I pretty much never refill a soda but I always end up finishing whatever size I order.

12. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Sep 13, 2012

The only issue is this. I never finish a full can of Coke, so sometimes I get the 20 or 22 ounce bottles to last me a while. It's more convenient than a 2 liter because I can use it before it goes flat. That irks me. People have the right to do whatever they want with their body, and people who over-consume will still overconsume.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 13, 2012

14. bison

bison Habitué

Sep 13, 2012

I think ads like that are pretty ridiculous and unnecessary no matter who they are targeting. Our country and political system deserve more respect.

15. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Sep 13, 2012

I would not like this at all. I don't want someone telling me how much pop I can or cannot drink. It's my body - my choice.

Plus, do they honestly think limiting people to 16 ounces of pop is going to make people healthier? I can just picture someone at McDonalds getting a supersized meal...with a 16 ounce coke. Real healthy.

16. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2012

Not obesity, but a lot of been said about the ingredients in diet cokes...it's something I would not drink. Well, I never have regular or diet cokes and haven't had one in many, many years...but if I were going to drink one, I think I'd choose the real deal.

17. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2012

I always look at that as one little step in the right direction. A supersized meal and supersized drink...or a supersized meal with a small drink: the latter is the better choice. :)

But I understand it's a slippery slope. I don't want to have show my ID one day to buy chocolate because the government is keeping watch over that like cough medicine.

18. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Sep 13, 2012

I totally agree with this. Seriously, what ever happen to personal accountability? We are so dumb as country, our government has to tell us how much soda to drink?

The economy is in the toilet and our politicians are making laws about soda?:dizzy:

19. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2012

Hahaha, yet alcohol and cigarette laws are still the same...that being unlimited."The ban wouldn’t affect convenience stores or grocery stores and wouldn’t apply to diet drinks, fruit juices, dairy-based drinks like milkshakes or alcoholic beverages."

Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2012/05/...alth-measures-in-new-york-city/#ixzz26PDW3TRV
    REALLY???? What a nanny state. What's next????? How much money you can spend on "junk food" at the grocery store. Give me a break. I thought we were a country built on the premise of individual freedoms. I guess it is limited because big brother knows better.

20. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2012

The bigger picture is health...trying to help us improve our health which influences the economy.

21. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2012

Yeah, good point about alcohol and cigarettes.

22. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ceJI2Cnz1w

23. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Sep 13, 2012

So glad I don't live in the city. This is ridiculous. Not that I order super-sized sodas... but come on.

24. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 13, 2012

I'm not a big soda drinker. And I don't live in NYC.

But if I did, I'm not sure how or when it became Michael Bloomberg's business just how much legal, taxable soda I choose to put into my body.

I can buy all the 12 oz sodas I want in NYC, but cannot buy a 16 ounce soda???

If you want to make soda illegal, fine. But as long a it's legal, I'm not sure what gives Mayor Bloomberg the right to limit how much of this legal, over the counter substance I choose to buy.

For what it's worth, I can legally buy all the cigarettes I want in NYC. I can also buy a truckload of rum if I so choose, as I'm over 21.

But heaven forbid I want to drink 17 ounces of coke with that rum and those cigarettes.

Oh, and don't get me started on the baby formula.

25. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 13, 2012

I didn't really have much of an opinion about this topic until someone brought up alcohol and cigarettes. If those things are still legal and can be purchased in unlimited quantities, I don't see why the limit on pop is appropriate. I think this is one of those ideas that might have originally had some merit but is now sort of ridiculous.

26. bison

bison Habitué

Sep 13, 2012

I think it makes sense because the idea is to gradually change public opinion of a normal portion size, which has become completely unhealthy. Obesity is a major public health issue. This is a start.

27. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 14, 2012

I agree with Bison. After all, you can buy two if you wish. The idea is more along the mine of starting somewhere to change the perception of appropriate portions.

28. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Sep 15, 2012

Best post of the thread
    :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

29. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 15, 2012

Many states and cities do put limits on the size of alcohol containers, and on how many containers you can buy at once.

30. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 15, 2012

To the best of my knowledge there's no such law in NYC.

31. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 15, 2012

I am in NY and this really doesn't bother me. I guess I don't care enough about soda to give a hoot! I doubt they will do this kind of thing with something like cigarettes because of all the tax money they get from it!

32. bison

bison Habitué

Sep 15, 2012

Even though sugary soft drinks aren't really comparable with cigarettes and alcohol, I'll bite. It's a silly to say there are no laws restricting the purchase and consumption of either. There are many. With alcohol, there are controls on where it can be sold, when, how old you have to be, as well as how much you can consume in a bar or restaurant. They are supposed to stop serving those who appear intoxicated. Does everyone here oppose all of those laws as well? This law also doesn't apply to grocery stores, so if you're buying a truckload of rum (from a liquor store, since you can't sell it at grocery stores in NY), you can certainly buy a truckload of Coke to go with it. Cigarettes are also highly taxed, and they come with warning labels. There are restrictions on where you can smoke, and they're especially strict in NYC. Flavored cigarettes were recently made illegal. It goes on. I just don't understand the uproar when you can simply buy two drinks or even get a refill, which is allowed. All they're doing is changing standard portion size, which has gotten out of control.

33. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Sep 15, 2012

I've read this thread about five times, and I've had to walk away all five times because of how much this whole idea infuriates me. Not because of what any AtoZ member posted, but because of the idea that the government should have the ability to limit portion sizes. Health care costs are the main argument, I assume. But are you truly willing to give up personal rights as an American citizen to lower health care costs! I'm not by principle. First soda... Then what?

ETA: I can go into the grocery store and buy a box of Caption Crunch Berries (yum!) cereal and have more sugar and fat than a 16 ounce serving of Coke. Is the government going to ban my cereal portion sizes? Or should I, as an adult and citizen, be responsible for my own dietary choices?

34. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 15, 2012

If anyone is going to limit what you can buy, I think it should start with people who need government assistance to buy food. I'm tired of seeing carts full of soda, chips, and cookies and the customer whips out a LoneStar card (Texas food stamps). If you need the government to buy your food for you, then you shouldn't be buying junk.

But as long as people can spend my tax money on junk, then people can spend their own money on junk if they want to do so.

35. bison

bison Habitué

Sep 15, 2012

Kat, this law doesn't apply to the grocery store. You can still go there and buy whatever you want.

36. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 15, 2012

I bet if soda was taxed the way cigarettes are, we could buy it in any size, shape, flavor, amount we wanted.

37. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Sep 15, 2012

Ridiculous. What happened to being responsible for your own actions? Choices and consequences? Like a person CHOOSES to drink a large amount of soda, and the CONSEQUENCE is XYZ. Before the Mayor knows it somebody will probably sue the city saying they should have done it sooner so they wouldn't be obese now. This just doesn't sit well with me. At. All.

On the formula thing: holy $hi!. I couldn't breastfeed. It wasn't possible. If I had to sit through somebody lecturing about how much better it was than formula while I was sitting in the hospital bed with hormones going nutso after having a child taken from my body, I think I would have punched them in the nose. It's not like moms who can't or choose not to breastfeed don't get that lecture enough. He'll never be able to put himself in the shoes of a mother. He really needs to shut his mouth about that one. Our governor is a complete and total idiot on a lot of things, but this guy makes her look golden.

Beth

38. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Sep 15, 2012

But shouldn't I be allowed to buy 17 ounces at a restaurant? Or wherever this law is limiting it. I think the same principle still applies.

39. BettyRubble

BettyRubble Rookie

Sep 15, 2012

I think the argument with the cereal is a bit off because it's clearly labeled that there are X amount of servings in a box of cereal. Yes, someone could eat the whole box but the idea is you eat 1 serving at a time. To order a 32 oz. soda means you're probably planning on drinking the whole thing in one sitting.

I'm not sure how I feel on banning them but I do agree that the inability to control portion sizes is an epidemic in our country. I considered myself to be fairly aware of what's healthy and what's not but it wasn't until I did Weight Watchers that I really realized what an actual portion was and how much more I was eating than I should be even if I wasn't eating junk food.

It's kind of like how Wendy's and BK changed their drinks and fries so their "small" is now what an old "medium" looked like. I don't really understand why they would do that in this age and so people unaware thinking they're ordering a medium and actually getting what used to be considered a large will still probably drink/eat the whole thing.

40. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Sep 15, 2012

"According to government data, sugar-sweetened beverages like sodas, juice drinks, sports drinks and teas account for only 7% of calories in the average American diet. With 93% of calories coming from other foods and beverages, it’s time to look at the bigger picture—diet and exercise."

I do not want to be a prophet of doom but where does it stop?
    How much government regulation do we need? When I say, "government" it includes Federal, State, County, City & School districts.

'"The nanny state" of NYC is going after moms too.
    They want to put pressure on new moms to breast feed with the "voluntary" program called "Latch On NYC."
    Latch On NYC is the most restrictive pro-breast-milk program in the nation. With each bottle a mother requests and receives, she’ll also get "a talking-to." Staffers will explain why she should offer the breast instead.' Have you ever got "a talking-to" by your parents?
    I am not against breast feeding (even thou I was not breast fed, my mother died in my birth ) and I think it is good for a baby BUT it is a parents choice and they should not be pressured one way or the other.​
    What is next Pizza? Or maybe Doughnuts? KFC or Churches chicken? That taco or burrito you like so much? Maybe the macaroni salad at you picnic?

41. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2012

I see it more as a "Get it right, people!" to the food industry because they have helped create completely ridiculous expectations in terms of portion sizes.

You go out to eat to consume one meal. I think that's why I don't feel it's outrageous to control protion sizes of cokes. Sixteen ounces is a reasonable serving of coke. It's aimed to help us recalibrate.