New Year's Resolutions

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by runsw/scissors, Dec 26, 2008.

1. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Dec 26, 2008

I know we just got done with Christmas and it may be a bit early to be thinking about resolutions, but I have already made mine. I am getting out of the personal trainer contract I've been stuck in and going back to the gym on a regular basis (3 days a week min.) How about you? What do you resolve for the coming year?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 26, 2008

1. Get a job
    2. attend church regularly
    3. work out at least 3x a week

4. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Dec 26, 2008

*Keep up my workout/healthy eating. I've let it go over break, as I'm home and just want to relax. But come Tuesday, I'm back at it. I've gotten a lot of fun workout clothes for Christmas, so I can look cute while I do it. I also want to just spend a bit more time on my looks in general. The polish on my toenails has been there since September, and my eyebrows are out of control. I want to be able to take pride in my apparance, with both my figure and the 'other stuff'.

*Figure out what I really want to do career-wise, and then go for it. I'm kicking around a lot of ideas right now, so I'm going to have to start organizing my thoughts soon.

*Become more organized in my home/family life. I want to be the wife that makes nice dinners and keeps the house clean, especially if I'm home every day. I'm going to have to make a concentrated effort to make this happen, however, as it does not come naturally at all. I'm very scattered and self-absorbed. I need to focus more on dh and our needs as a couple.

5. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Dec 26, 2008

- Set up and then stick with routines. I can't even reliably do Number of the Day every day!

- Make time to make homecooked meals, with enough leftovers for DH and my lunches

- Remind myself to have patience and gentleness for my students. They are 7, 8, 9 years old, and they want to do well and please the grownups in their lives.

6. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Dec 26, 2008

I'm going to sound like the typical resolution setter...I need to lose weight. At least 20 pounds. So I plan on starting a workout program with dh - his job has a very nice gym and finally are allowing spouses to use it this year, so I think we might actually do it this year.

I also NEED to resolve to cook and eat more healthy foods. Dh had his gall bladder removed last week and already I can tell that he will not tolerate the high fat diet we've been eating lately. So, I need to start searching for some tasty lower-fat recipes to cook for us.

I hope I can keep these resolutions this year! :)

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 27, 2008

- lose weight
    - eat better
    - save even more money
    - it would be nice to be engaged sometime during 2009! :)

8. Cateacher2b

Cateacher2b Companion

Dec 27, 2008

Become debt free!!!

And to pay cash for a sofa and 2 mattresses. My son and I moved to Utah in July and money has been tight. We sleep on air mattresses and have no living room furniture!:unsure:

9. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

Dec 27, 2008

Make time for prayer and Bible study
    Make better use of my time( I'm bad about letting things like ironing, cleaning, etc. build up!!!)
    I work out regularly, but I don't eat like I should....I need to change that
    Try not to let my job get under my skin....
    Be a bigger part of my friends' and family's lives

10. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Dec 27, 2008

I also plan on knocking at least $2,000 off the balance number on my credit card statements by this time next year. That means I will have to pay pay pay and stop using! I don't charge much now, but I am tempted now and then to pull it out for stupid stuff I could live without.

I also need to work on becoming a better teacher, but that is another thread altogether. Sadly, I am just now realizing how I've not been very helpful to my kids. :(

11. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Dec 27, 2008

*Buy a house before next Christmas*
    *Be more sociable, accept more invitations and entertain a little myself*
    *Work on the projects I used to work on, like and painting and writing*
    (This job has taken over most of my life; I vow to take back some of it!!!)

Runsw/scissors, I have a hard time imagining you not being helpful to your students. Are you sure it's as bad as you think?

12. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Dec 27, 2008

Maybe not. I don't know. This class is really struggling in general with everything from turning homework in to doing well on tests. I really can't figure out what is going on with this group. I have never in my life seen such low grades consistently appear on mid-terms and report cards. The thing is, I'm teaching the way I always have, but apparently it is not what they need. I just don't know how to adjust for them though, so I blame myself for at least some of their low scores.

13. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Dec 27, 2008

Yes, we always want to be more reflective and in this climate in education, we are told there is no kid we cannot effect if only we try hard enough. And I think it is good that we are always reflecting and trying to do our best. But I also try to remember that they (our students) are human beings just as we are and sometimes, they just aren't "there" yet. Sometimes I have to remind myself that with some kids, the best I can do is keep planting seeds in ground that one day will be fruitful. I teach 4th and 5th, and I think those grades, especially 5th, are a time when they are "in between." My own kids didn't look so good in those grades, and they have done incredibly well. They really started to blossom in 7th and 8th grades. You're doing fine, you'll see. :hugs: Just your being concerned about it shows you care and that you're doing your best.

14. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Dec 27, 2008

Thanks eduk8r.

15. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Dec 27, 2008

You're welcome. I know exactly how you feel. :)

16. tcherjen

tcherjen Comrade

Dec 27, 2008

1. Get a job
    2. Pay off house
    3. Get more organized

17. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Dec 27, 2008

I'm going to add:

-Brush my teeth everyday, twice a day.

I know it sounds weird, but I hate to brush my teeth. I think it's part of my sensory issues, and I also hate the taste. I've tried every toothpaste ever made, and I hate all the tastes. And I hate the feel of toothpaste. And I hate being cold in the bathroom while I do it. It's not like I never brush my teeth-obviously I do, as I have really nice, white, strong teeth. But I still hate it and skip it more than I should at night. No more, I say!

18. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jan 1, 2009

I don't see how you can NOT brush your teeth though I have a friend who is the same way. Personally, I can't stand the taste of morning breath so brushing right after I eat breakfast is a must. And if I don't brush before I go to bed the morning breath taste is that much worse, so I make sure I brush at night no matter how tired I am.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  19. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 2, 2009

I'm trying really hard to set attainable resolutions. I don't want to fail, so I'm starting small.

-Not eat lunch in the school cafeteria anymore. It's pure laziness on my part, because it is really easy to eat there. I have a stinkin' fridge in my room, for cryin' out loud. I am going to make the effort to keep lunches (healthy) in my fridge, and not even let myself go to the cafeteria.

-Keep my house cleaner. I go in spurts, it will be really clean for a month, then really messy for a while. Again, laziness. It's not that hard to put a load of laundry in once a day.
    (we aren't dirty people or anything, don't get the wrong idea. My mom always says there's a big difference in messy and dirty, and we're not dirty. We actually have a really nice house, which is why it is silliness to let it get messy.)

-I would really like to start doing Weight Watchers again. I lost almost 20 pounds the last time I was doing it, and I've gained it all back. Which is just stupid! The program works, and it isn't like a hard-core diet. I just stopped because...I don't know why. Because I had one bad weekend, and I gave up. I think about what I could be now, and it makes me angry. I just want to be healthy!

-Probably the biggest, and something I haven't talked about a whole lot here, is to stop worrying about not being able to have another child. We have 2 beautiful children, and thought 1 more would be perfect, but as of the last about 7 months, it just hasn't been working out. So I am going to stop obsessing over it, and let God's plan work out. If it's meant to be, it will be. If not, we've been blessed twice more than a lot of people are able to be. I need to focus on what we have instead of what we don't.

Whew. That felt kind of good to actually write these down! I need to print this page out...

20. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Jan 2, 2009

kcjo, I am laughing about the school lunch thing because it's so true! :lol:

I am adding to my resolutions to not work, not work, not work on school things when I am home if at all possible!!! :dizzy:

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 2, 2009

Healthier eating choices (typical resolution, I know!)

Positive energy- no drama, no getting sucked in to it...

Read the newspaper daily- I've also been doing the Jumble for the past 2 days...I know that sounds silly but my grandmother who lived to 97, had a good mind for about 95 of those years- she read the paper daily, did crossword puzzles, walked everywhere, use Pond's cold cream-no soap- on her face- fairly few wrinkles, and ate a banana everyday.

22. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jan 2, 2009

I am your polar opposite! I brush my teeth all the time-paranoid about having stinky breath, and I don't want to chew gum in class or eat mints because I am trying to lose weight!! I have even brushed my teeth while my class is in the room and spit it out the fire door!! I know, gross!! My kids laughed, but they knew why I did it. (no sink in my classroom and I was running late from lunch):lol:

23. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jan 2, 2009

Well, it was not going to be to lose weight but now I need to add that to my list. I'm shooting for 10 pounds but would be happy with five. I am very short and small boned so the weight, albeit small, makes a big difference.

Also, relax and appreciate what I have.

Third, get more done around the house and be more organized.

Fourth, save more money.

24. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jan 2, 2009

Plan far enough ahead to cook at home 4 nights a week regardless of what the family and work day throw at me. Up to now I have always taken the "hard day" route when it got complicated. No more. Thaw it - cook it. No plan B.

And as far as work, our program is very small. Our clients are always wondering if we could expand and allow more slots. I will work on getting my 501 c 3 so that i can do that. wow.