New Year's Resolutions!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 28, 2013

Anything different besides the usual (lose weight, exercise more, have a healthier diet, & be more prosperous)?

I hope to travel sometime in 2014.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2013

I don't do them, or at least not on January 1st.

My New Year's Resolutions begin on Labor Day, when my "new year" really gets started.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2013

Personal: to stay in contact with friends more often and to not be such a homebody

Work: now that I'm 4 months into my new position and know a little bit of what I'm doing, I plan on focusing on fine-tuning my paperwork and getting out to my campuses more often

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 28, 2013

I have a couple, but they're personal. I have goals related to school each August, but January is for "me".

6. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Dec 28, 2013

To cook more, better, and more varied foods. I looked up a whole bunch of recipes and I made an entire calendar for the month of January so I can shop for recipe ingredients the week before. I also bought a Kitchen Ninja food chopper (awesome) and plan to buy a programmable slow cooker to facilitate all this.

Also, and I know that this is an odd New Year's resolution - I'm giving up vegetarianism. I've been a veg for over 20 years (since my teens) but I've never figured out how to really do it healthfully. So instead, I eat a lot of pasta and rice dishes. I don't really think that's the healthy way to go. About 8 years ago, I added fish, but how often can you eat fish? I'm adding poultry - chicken and turkey. I'm going to have to force myself to begin with so I'll start in January. :) Still, I want to make sure each meal is at least 50% vegetable-based.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 28, 2013

I never make them.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 28, 2013

I've done that this past few months. I switched when I was sick and had to be on a low protein diet. I gained 100 pounds on treatment.

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes after years of knowing something was wrong. I got the all-clear to reintroduce more protein, so I'm trying to add meat. The problem is that I don't like it. :mellow: I've kept my vegetable intake the same, but I cut pastas & sugars way, way down. Added whole grains and meats. I've already lost 20 pounds without feeling like I'm watching every bite I take.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2013

I am trying to make sure that the house stays more clean more often. This might require the hiring of a housekeeper, even just once per month. I've been struggling to keep up with everything lately. :(

I also am going to make a special effort to take some time for myself. This next year is probably going to be very hectic, with lots of changes. I need to stay centered and balanced, and this might mean a little more "me" time.

10. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Dec 28, 2013

In 2014 I would like to -

1. Buy our first home
    2. Be more organized
    3. Keep my house neater
    4. Attend church every Sunday (not sure if watching Joel Osteen counts)
    5. Stay in touch with friends and family better
    6. Finish a novel

11. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Dec 28, 2013

I want to be more organized and also pay off a few lingering bills. I also want to keep working on my relationship with my biological dad. He found me through Facebook earlier this year. At first I didn't want to deal with it all, but it's starting to become important to me.

12. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Dec 28, 2013

It's not really a resolution, but I hope to move in 2014 so we can settle down finally. Job searching is a lot of work (as you all know), so that will take up a lot of my time this spring.

I also want to start exercising regularly.

13. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Dec 28, 2013

-Have my husband find a job without me wanting to strangle him.
    -Have him finish the bathroom remodel without me wanting to strangle him.
    -Do all the things we need to sell or rent the house without......--Get rid of a whole lot of things we have accumulated in the last 35 years without......

Too late....I've already broken this resolution about 100 times, just today.

So...I guess it should just be get a more positive attitude.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 31, 2013

Caesar, hopefully, you'll find that getting a housekeeper is worth it!

Jerseygirlteach, good for you. Yes, the giving up on vegetarianism is a switch. Hopefully, after being one for so many yrs, your body responds positively when you start eating meat again. I'm no vegan, but I mainly eat fish & turkey...not much beef or pork. Sometimes chicken.

15. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Dec 31, 2013

I want to be more intentional with my time.

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2013

Love it!

17. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Dec 31, 2013

2012 Was to attend church every Sunday possible. I was waking up and deciding to not attend for no reason at all. I did very well.

2013 Was to call family and friends that I rarely see. Again, I did well but am continuing in 2014. For some I had to say: "Everything is OK. I just made a resolution to call those I love." My great aunt said "Well, it took you until August to call me." BAHAHAHA "At least I called"

2014 My resolution is to keep a jar and write one good choice I made each day. I am hoping to write things like:
    * I made a good choice to say no thank you to cheesecake.
    * I made a good choice to play Yahtzee with my son instead of clean my closet.
    * I made a good choice to walk to the store instead of drive.

18. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Dec 31, 2013

Oh goodie! It's 9:45 on December 31st and time to make my list (no I haven't done it yet!)

1. I need to lose 8 lbs by May to be 112 (pre-pregnancy weight). I'm asthmatic so I'm limited on exercising (just walking and weights), so I plan to just jam pack even more things in my schedule. I eat more when I'm bored, and if I'm really busy, food becomes an afterthought...sometimes not even a thought. I think that'll be the key to losing these last 8 lbs.

2. I am going to stop staying at school so late every day. I am going to stay late 2-3 days and go home at 3:15 the other days.
    My housework/cooking/spending time with family was getting too slack there the last few months.

3. I am going to manage my money better and stop spending it like it's going out of style.

4. I am paying off ALL of my credit cards this year! Already got a budget ready :)

19. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Dec 31, 2013

My resolution: figure out what's going on with my health. I'm not accepting that it's because I'm getting older.

20. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Dec 31, 2013

I want to worry less, especially about things I have no control over.

I also have a five year resolution-make it back to Europe. +10 bonus points for going on New Years.

21. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Jan 1, 2014

Good for you on losing 20 pounds!:D

22. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 1, 2014

I really, really, really need to get serious about eating better & losing weight this time before a serious health issue dervelops! In Jan, as we know, the gym is always crowded with new members or people who haven't been in a long time), then it tapers off. Well, I don't want to be the one who sags out again!

23. Mrs.Giggles

Mrs.Giggles Companion

Jan 1, 2014

1. I have the cliche resolution of losing weight. I'm 90 pounds overweight, and my husband and I would like to start a family soon. My weight is a huge concern for me.

2. Grow in my relationship with God and read my Bible daily.

3. Become a more patient teacher and work on my organization skills.

4. Send out birthday cards to all family members.

24. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jan 1, 2014

My vague resolution is to make time for myself this year.

I want to lose the 25 lbs I gained in 2013! I was in great shape as a SAHM with lots of gym time. I went back to teaching last February and as my "me time" vanished, the weight piled on.

I also want to spend a lot more time "unplugged" from my iPad/iPhone/TV. I deactivated FB a week ago, so that's a step!

25. teachinnola

teachinnola Rookie

Jan 1, 2014

I love this!
    This is one of my New Year's resolutions (you stated it more eloquently than I could). I want to use my time wisely. I am pretty organized, but I know I lose focus easily. I want to work on that.

My non-New Year's resolution was to get back to the gym (I did well until I bought a house). But I am struggling with losing weight since I stopped. I know it is because I do not track my calories, so I am starting that up again.

I am going to work on my relationships. Family, friends, co-workers. I want to be more positive and more open to other people (I am an introvert and actually just misanthropic). Along with that, I am going to get more involved in my community - another thing I did well the first half of last year but it slipped - and try to make "couples" friends instead of "single" friends or those that are coupled, but I just don't like the other one :whistle:

26. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 1, 2014

Mine is to be the best I can be, inside (health wise) and out!!

27. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 1, 2014

Set small (weekly or monthly) goals for yourself. You are more likely to stick with it if you reach your mini goals.

I have been doing well with diet an exercise but I can do much better. I have to set a weight goal. I have to get rid of exercise excuses. I walked almost 5 miles today. I was proud of myself that I went even though it was cold and I was tired from staying up late. A few friends chickened out and stayed home because they couldn't get themselves off the couch. I didn't want to start my new year off that way!

28. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 5, 2014

Pamper myself more!

29. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 28, 2014

New Year's 2015!

This is now for 2015!!!​

I just hope to continue being in good (or better) health, be prosperous, & be content in life within myself & my with my loved ones! :)

I wish there would be a cure for many diseases this upcoming year: Alzheimer's, AIDS, cancer, ebola, etc.

30. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 28, 2014

I have a couple of long term goals. I am going part time at my teaching job in Jan in preparation for leaving teaching in May. I would like to spend the next few months getting my house in order so I can really enjoy my days after teaching.

31. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Dec 28, 2014

Now that I have a new motivation to lose weight and get in shape (DD's wedding, which will probably be in the spring of 2016), I hope to really stick with it. I bought a local deal for eight training sessions at a facility right down the street and got a tracker for my waistband to start.

I'd also like to pare down our belongings to the point that I can find what I actually need without making myself crazy looking.

32. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Dec 29, 2014

My goal (not so much resolution) is to finish all my internship hours and to graduate on time.

I can't do my normal resolution of loosing weight. I lost 22lbs, gained 5 back so far. I have to gain some more back. I'm surprised I'm not... I eat almost everything in sight. Usually I have 2 breakfasts, 2-3 lunches, 2 dinners and snacks in between.

33. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Dec 30, 2014

I am thrilled because this is the first year in a long time that I don't have to make a resolution to lose weight, because I'm already doing it! I'm down 35 pounds and have about 15 to go, but I just need to keep doing what I'm already doing. I was a little more relaxed during the holidays but didn't get totally off track and still managed to lose a couple of pounds, so I don't have to "get back on the wagon" either. It feels great!

My resolution this year is to work on building more lasting friendships. Basically the only day I like to go out is Saturday and I'm a hermit during the rest of the week because I get too stressed with work and everything and just want to go home at the end of the day. I have people to hang out with but since I only see them every so often it's hard to build those closer relationships, especially when everyone else is out doing things together during the week.

34. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 30, 2014

These are not resolutions, but I have many goals for next year:
    - lose weight. I already started at the end of November and so far I lost 9 lbs. I started running, and just now joined a gym. My aim is to lose 30 more lbs. I plan on to really keep up with running and taking Zumba and yoga, as I'm doing now.
    - I will be moving again during spring break. That makes it a 3rd move in exactly 2 years. When I moved up here I got broken into, so I moved to a new place (this one). But now I'm tired of this small town, with nothing in it (not a good gym, not a yoga class, no dance class, no clubs, absolutely nothing) So I'm moving to the nearby city, which will mean a 20 minute commute to work, but I don't mind. I have to save money though, because moving is not cheap.
    - in the summer we'll travel to Hungary again. That's about $3500-4000 just for the tickets. so save some more money.
    - I'd like to buy a new car. Well, not brand new, I want a used BMW SUV and I'll give my car to my daughter. Save more money.
    - my daughter is graduating high school this year. She still needs to pass the match CAHSEE so we need to get her there.
    - then she'll go to a community college for 2 years. Save more money.
    - finish out the year strong, so I get renewed and get tenure.

So I guess most of my goals revolve around saving lots of money :)

35. WarriorPrncss

WarriorPrncss Companion

Dec 30, 2014

I resvolve to not make any resolutions....

....oh wait...

Well, since that didn't work here's what I wanna do:

1. WIN the weight loss competiton being held by one of my town's nutrition stores. ( I know it said "aside from weight loss" but this year... I got this!)
    2. Goes hand in hand with #1 which is to begin a YouTube vlog following my weight loss. One video a week for a year. (I've done one video a week for a year before, but it was part of a collab channel.)
    3. To plan meals and eat less fast food. (For health and money!)
    4. To pay off all credit card debt and begin saving for a home.
    5. To maintain a 3.5 or better while earning my credential.
    6. To spend less time on facebook and more time doing things that need to be done or that I want to do... I've started by de-activating my facebook, which means NO facebook time for now. I've been officially facebook disconnected for 8 days. I may hop back on later, but for now it actually feels good to not feel tied to it. (Though I admit the first few days there was a pull.)
    7. To complete a Dirty Girl Mud Run (Or similar event)
    8. To spend at LEAST one day a week at the Horse Rescue I volunteer at. Learning about and helping the horses and also learning to train them so I can adopt one day. (I rode when I was little and miss it SO much!) And I'd also like to organize a fundraiser.

36. WarriorPrncss

WarriorPrncss Companion

Dec 30, 2014

Yeah, girl!!! Agreed. And I did the same thing last Sunday. I felt withdrawls for the first few days :mellow: but now it feels nice to not be so pulled into it.

Though... not getting photos and up-to-date stuff from friends is a wee bit weird... but it will force face to face time which I need and want.