New Year's Resolutions

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by smalltowngal, Dec 31, 2011.

1. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2011

I'm surprised that a thread hasn't already been started about this. What are your 2012 resolutions?

Mine are:
    ~to go to the gym one more day a week than I have in 2011.
    ~count my blessings every day
    ~finish my certification program so I can become a diagnostician in August
    ~Put more money into our savings account and do not use it.
    ~complete at least 5 5ks and 1 Tough Mudder comp

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2011

I've always thought that New Years should take place on Labor Day. That's the start of the new year in my house, with 3 students and 2 teachers.

So no New Years Resolutions here.

4. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Dec 31, 2011

I'm really bad at keeping resolutions or I think I set them up to high and then feel bad about not keeping them.

5. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Dec 31, 2011

I am going to make my New Year's resolution to gain some weight. Since I never keep them, maybe I will lose weight. Hopefully my reverse psychology will work. :)

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 31, 2011

I am starting the year about forty pounds lighter than last, and I intend to finish my weight loss efforts in the first sixth months of 2012.

I will improve my meditation and journaling for spiritual growth.

I will volunteer more at my two favorite locations. (Personal bonus: it should force me to take some of the intense focus off work.)

7. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 31, 2011

I like to make resolutions, whether I keep them or not! It gives me a sense of starting over, and hope for the new year ahead!
    *I want to read at least 40 books in the new year. In 2010, I read 36, last year I read 32, so I am setting a goal of 40 for the new year.
    *To lower my triglycerides and keep my cholesterol in the "good" area.
    * Keep our credit card balance at zero as much as possible
    *Keep a gratitude journal daily, and keep doing my daily devotions
    *find the positive at work, rather than the negative
    *help my parents move back to our area

Hmmm, can the list be added to???

8. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Dec 31, 2011

I am going to lose weight before I turn 50! I will stay away from the garbage at work. I will contribute more at my church and reach out to make more friends.

9. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 31, 2011

I have been doing Nutrisystem successfully since THanksgiving (with the exception of the last week and a half) so I am going to get back on plan and stick with that.

I want to go to Happy Hour with some co-workers every pay day friday for the rest of the year.

I want to have at least one reunion with my high school friends. We did it in 2010 and it was so fun but we haven't done it again.

I WILL take my sister to Disney this year. I don't know when it's going to happen, but it will happen.

These aren't resolutions, more like hopes and dreams - but there has been an awful lot of talk about an engagement ring around here so *hopefully* that happens soon. My other sister is leaving for the Peace Corps for 2 years in June, so it would be nice to be able to have a wedding before she leaves.

10. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Dec 31, 2011

Just to do what I have done this year...only better!

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2011

I need to make some major changes in several areas of my life. I'm not going to post goals, but will hopefully post successes throughout the year.

12. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Dec 31, 2011

Drink more water and work out at least five days a week. My husband and I will also start back counting calories.

13. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Dec 31, 2011

14. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Dec 31, 2011

I generally don't do New Years Resolutions but one thing I started in December that I hope to continue is to work out. I rejoined the gym at the end of November and my goal is to go at least 12 times per month. I made it 10 times in December.

Other than that I want to start my ESL certification which is just 4 graduate courses. It's been 4 years since I took a graduate course so diving back in feels a bit scary. I just need to figure out which school I want to apply to based on how they offer their courses.

15. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 31, 2011

My resolution is to try twelve new recipes. I've gotten in a rut.

I also would like to improve my health- drink more water, work out more, and get more sleep.

16. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Dec 31, 2011

Walk, walk, and more walk.
    collect more "stuff" for my crazy quilt
    read every evening
    count my blessings
    road trips
    Happy hour with the gang every Thursday

17. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Dec 31, 2011

:lol: At first I was totally jealous that you needed to GAIN weight, and then I read the rest of it haha.

My goals:
    -Make a workout schedule and stick to it. I will start off small. I'm not terribly overweight now, but I used to be incredibly fit and workout 90 minutes- 2 hours a day. I ended up getting really, really sick my sophomore year of college and essentially had to stop going to the gym for about 10 months. By the time I could go back, of course I was out of shape and not able to do what I could before, which I found frustrating. Ever since then, I've tried to start up, always end up setting goals too high, do it for a month or so, stop for another month or so, go back for another month...etc. etc. So this is what I have worked out for January- I will do this for all of January and increase it just a tiny bit in February, and so on.
    Monday- Gym: 20 minutes on the elliptical, 20 minutes walking on an incline on the treadmill
    Tuesday- EA Active (wii fitness game) 30 minute workout on "easy" mode.
    Wednesday- Gym: 20 minutes on the elliptical, 20 minutes walking on incline on the treadmill
    Thursday- Just Dance (wii game) on "just sweat" mode for 30 minutes.
    Friday- Off/rest day
    Saturday-Gym: swim 50 laps
    Sunday- 10 minute solutions cardio video, cleaning/laundry

-Cook dinner at least 5 days a week (as opposed to going out or getting fast food or something- I've been really bad about that lately)

-Start counting calories on My Fitness Pal again

I'm hoping that by setting concrete things I'm going to do (instead of saying "I'm going to lose 20 pounds" or "I'm going to eat healthier") it will be something I can stick to.

18. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Dec 31, 2011

Eat better.

Continue running and meet my goal of 500 miles before my husband gets back from his deployment.

Lose at least 20 more pounds before my husband gets back.

Spend a lot more time working on my National Board Certification.

Clean more. I'm kind of messy when I'm here by myself.

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 31, 2011

smalltowngal, yeah, I usually am the one to start the resolutions thread. :)

I don't like making resolutions really anymore because I'm always continuoulys striving to always improve my life &/or accomplish more in general anyway. The main one that seems to ALWAYS be on my list is exercise more, eat better, lose weight. Sigh! :mellow:

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2011

It doesn't matter who starts the thread...putting your resolutions in writing seems to make it more 'official'...I endeavor to make resolutions I intend to keep...the 'always' kind of resolutions that seem to fall by the wayside probably need rethinking...

Mine are:
    Work on organization...cleaning out clutter, organizing files and closets better, simplifying a bit.

Making and appreciating more time with family

21. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jan 1, 2012

I finally found a resolution I think I can keep. Seriously, I make resolutions and I never stick to them but this...this I can do. I plan to exercise less and eat more! :D:D:D

22. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jan 1, 2012

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

23. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 1, 2012

I don't usually make resolutions but I love the resolution that a friend of mine made: This year my resolution is to learn to handle stress better. Learn to not sweat the small stuff, and to learn to slow,down and enjoy the small moments.
    I will try to keep this in mind this year. It seems like a great way to start the year on a positive note.

24. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 1, 2012

TeacherNY, I had a similar goal this past year of regaining a bit of balance in my life and to reconnect our family life. It's actually been like a mantra I repeat to myself and everyone else constantly so I'm constantly reminded of the goal. We made big changes to help jump start it and it has been a great year. There were some transition bumps but we expected them and resolved them with patience and understanding of our goals. Now I can honestly say I feel tons better. My stress level is way down. I'm learning to both take on projects and turn some down. I'm learning how to "work" but take recreational time for my family, my husband and also for myself. I'm learning to connect with my neighbors again and just be more open to life in general. I needed that restoration. We all did.

I like your friend's goal. Even better if she really works to achieve it.

25. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 1, 2012

Ha, that's great!

Love it!

26. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 1, 2012

I want eat healthier, and try to track my eating. I do pretty well with exercise, but I let my eating get out of control all the time.

I would also like to really stick to my budget, so that I can pay off my last credit card. I have been carrying a balance on this card since 2004!

27. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jan 1, 2012

I want to meditate daily and be more mindful to savor what I am doing amd be thankful for everyday common things. I also plan to kick the anxiety disorder to the curb because my life has been So different and I want to get back to enjoying life...I am in therapy once a week to overcome a phobia that came about from panic disorder called agoraphobia....so I have to slowly regain my confidence to do things out and about that everyone takes for granted because I have had a conditioned response ( fear of having a panic attack) causes avoidance so I am ready to enjoy my life and move forward in my goals so I can become a mom someday etc and a Happier wife! :) I trust God.

28. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jan 1, 2012

I am resolving to spend less time worrying and more time doing.

29. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 1, 2012

Not a New Year's resolution, but a few "reaction to my mother in law's death" resolutins.

At some point, probably next summer, I want to:
    - get my address book in order.

- get a fireproof box and place a copy of everything important--wills, insurance policies, Brian's adoption papers and the kids' birth certificates, our social security numbers and bank account info-- all into it, and make sure that our siblings know where it is.

- make a book for the kids like the one we made for the moms at Christmas. I want to write down all our little traditions, all the special little memories and moments I treasure from their childhood.

I'm not feeling morbid. But this stuff DOES Need to be in order. Not having it so doesn't prevent death, it only makes it more difficult for those who survive. (And yes, for the most part Pete's mom had all that stuff in order. But it's easy to see what a nightmare it would have been had it not been so.)

30. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jan 1, 2012

Alice, having lost my FIL two years ago, and my MIL last spring, I totally agree with you on your reactions. For the most part, they had their affairs in order, but with a sister in law who is ill, no plans were made for the care of her. My husband and his sisters have been taken care of her, but with all of us having full time jobs, it is difficult. We finally found temporary care for her, but it is still difficult.
    It is important that things are in order. We have started doing this, and I do feel much, much better.

31. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jan 1, 2012

This is great because I really need to write out my resolutions!

1. Exercise!!!!! I need to at least walk everyday but am aiming for four days a week.

2. Do my medicine better. I have some nebulizers that I HATE doing but I need to get over that and do them.

3. Accept things I cannot change. I am watching CF take away so many things in life (job, laughing, ability to care for a child) and tend to get very sad about it. I need to focus on the good things I have that will not leave me.

4. Try my hardest to get to a point where I feel healthy enough caring for a child. Even if this doesn't work out, at least I tried.

5. Get a port. I know I need it, I am just being silly about it.

6. COOK. I really have to do this.

32. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jan 1, 2012

Whoa there is no way I can do six new things. I will narrow it down to cook and exercise. Hopefully the rest will just fall into place:)

33. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Jan 2, 2012

To finish my applications for masters degree programs. Of course, hopefully get accepted and start next fall! :)

34. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 15, 2012

I love reading these! Good luck to all, and hopefully all the resolutions are going well.

I have some goals this year, one of which I've already finished:

Races: Disney half and full marathon, Tinkerbell half marathon, Princess half marathon, Mermaid 5k in May and Nov.

Baby: In the event that our baby is born happy and healthy, I'd like to be brave during the labor and go as natural as possible, rock the breastfeeding and find balance in my life so we can spend the time with our baby that he/she deserves. I'm also sticking to our goal of being gender neutral and natural with the toys (wood, recycled materials, etc.).

Weight: I'd like to get to pre-baby weight by the end of the year.

Sprout: I'd like to reclaim the business, as it's been put on the backburner while I work the full time job.

Work: I am determined to find my passion for this role, take ownership of the projects I've been given, become a leader and not depend on being 'liked' by my co-workers and start a company Quidditch team that gets to the World Cup tournament this fall.

Marriage: Dh and I just got back from our first vacation alone in several years, and he was more relaxed than I've seen him a long time. I'm determined to find ways to bring that out in him even when we're not on vacation, either through weekend trips or small outings locally.

Good luck all!

35. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 15, 2012

I didn't realize you were preggers Jem. Congrats.

36. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 15, 2012

Thanks, cut. I would say 80% of the time, I forget myself. ;)

37. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 15, 2012

Oh, man, then you're obviously having a different pregnancy than I ever had.

For me it was 3 solid months of mornng/afternoon/evening sickness. I'm glad that hasn't been your experience.

38. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 15, 2012

I was never sick, but both times I was so over the moon that I couldn't forget...my head swirling with names and nursery plans and dreams.:love:

39. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 15, 2012

Yeah, that too. It's an exciting time. Enjoy it, Jem.

Though I will say that my easiest delivery by far was the one that took place at JFK :)

40. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jan 15, 2012

I usually don't do resolutions but I came up with one recently which is to turn one of my photos into a painting. I'm an amateur photographer & do very well shooting in Manual Mode & meeting many other goals I set for myself (sometimes).

I've always wanted to learn how to paint as well, but it's almost terrifying to me because you can't delete a bad painting, & a bad painting =wasted materials and wasted money.

But, I've put it off too long. I talk to a lot of patients on my job who are artists & I was like okay, I'm completely inspired to give this a shot. I asked one lady for advice & she said just have fun & don't be a perfectionist (which I hate being). I'm still scared lol!!

41. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 15, 2012

That should raise a few questions in those who don't know the story, Alice!