New Years Eve plans

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by czacza, Dec 28, 2011.

1. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2011

What are you doing? We have reservations for dinner at two different restaurants.:DNot really sure yet which one we'll go to...we don't want to do the big 5 course soup to nuts dinner thing, just something quiet but nice. Then we'll come home for movies, watch the ball drop, champagne.:love:

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2011

I'm not sure what we'll do this year. Hubby does get to stay with us a little past New Year's so at least we'll be spending it with him. :) We might hang out with some friends that we haven't seen in awhile.

4. BettyRubble

BettyRubble Rookie

Dec 28, 2011

DH and I are planning on making nachos, probably watching a movie...may or may not stay up until midnight, having a 1-year-old who doesn't know the meaning of sleeping in makes it tough to stay up too late now! haha.

5. LilyGirl01

LilyGirl01 Rookie

Dec 28, 2011

We usually go on a yacht with some friends and eat seafood, black eyed peas, drink champagne, etc. Kids stay with MIL and make homemade pizza.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 28, 2011

My BF's birthday is on New Yr's Day, then mine is in mid-Jan, so we're usually more focused on that. Neither of us are partiers/drinkers, so we just usually do things such as dinner, movies, amusement parks, day trips, etc.

7. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Dec 28, 2011

We like to have a neighbor couple come by and play games with us and the kids (yahtzee, Life, etc) and eat cookies, candies, canapes, drink sparkling cider. We watch the ball drop and go to bed. My girls love this - eating sweets, staying up late, playing games.

8. nikkiluvsu15

nikkiluvsu15 Rookie

Dec 28, 2011

I think we're having my mom's brothers and sisters over (plus my cousins), possibly my pastor and his wife/kids.

We're having a cook out. We are also playing volleyball and flag football.

Then we'll ring in the New Year by watching the ball drop and drinking some delicious sparkling grape juice :D

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 28, 2011

My husband's family once upon a time had a celebration, but too many over the years have passed and the tradition died as well. That means we'll just be snuggled up together (me, husband, and dog) waiting for the big moment...and then go to bed. :)

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 28, 2011

No plans as of yet. New Year's Day promises a huge pork and sauerkraut dinner at a friend's house, though.

11. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 28, 2011

We don't really like to go out. Too crazy. We were trying to get together with friends - but I really wanted them to come here because their dogs are really annoying. But they won't leave the dogs home alone. I had ideas for a menu but since its now moved there, they are taking that over, as well. PLus, I wanted to invite a few other people here, and now I feel like I can't do that, either. Honestly, I am just a little annoyed. But I will get over it and it will probably be fun. We just play board games, have some beers and munchies and come home. Or, I guess ONE of us will have some beers, since we will have to drive home. grrr.

New Years Day, we will go to BF's moms. He spends Christmas with my family, so we have kind of made New Years Day the day we celebrate Christmas with her. We have some presents for her and we will eat Pork and Sauerkraut, which is the big "good luck" food in this area.

12. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 28, 2011

We are having friends over and making homemade pizza. We usually play darts, cards, etc. It ends pretty much after the new year, since we are all too tired to party into the night!
    New Year's day will be quiet. I make the traditional pork and sauerkraut, and we watch football.

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 28, 2011

We will stay home since we don't like to leave our dog alone on holidays. I also like stay home so my hubby and I can have a drink or two without worrying about driving home. I will make some munchies and we can work on our 750 piece puzzle that we started before Christmas.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2011

Sounds fun! We'll play darts and wii when we get home from dinner. We're thinking of goingto a Japanese restaurant on top of a mountain...can see views of NYC.:cool:

15. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 28, 2011

A co-worker is having a New Year's party. I'm supposed to be going over there. Not sure yet, but will probably go for a while at least. I love working with a group that I enjoy spending time with outside of school, too!

16. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 28, 2011

My boyfriend and I reserved a hotel room with 3 other couples in a nearby city. It's right in the middle of downtown, where all of the fun bars are located. We're going to go out to dinner, stay out all night, and then watch the Packer game on Sunday. I'm excited!

17. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 28, 2011

We're hosting a party for all of our friends. It will be great!

18. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 28, 2011

We're getting a hotel room at a resort that has a comedian. It was a really good price, and we never go out, but for some reason this year we decided to do something.

19. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Dec 28, 2011

Having our nephews stay over so 5 boys in the house.
    Kid food and games all night.
    Probably silly string and glow sticks, tents out of bed sheets, Wii challenges, etc.

Trying to figure out how to set all the clocks back an hour or two without them knowing! Would LOVE "Happy New Year" at 10:00 with them thinking it's midnight! HAhahaha

20. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2011

We will most likely either go to a local restaurant/bar to see a band we know or to the LV Strip to watch all the drunk tourists.

21. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Dec 29, 2011

We are going to a neighbor's house with the kids. We will most likely be home before the ball drops though, too late for our 4 year old.

22. fast chalk

fast chalk Comrade

Dec 29, 2011

We are going to have dinner outdoors, by the river.
    It will be the first time celebrating there, it may be fun!
    Dh, my daughters and I will go. We may see some fireworks too!!!

23. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Dec 29, 2011

My husband will be at work and my kids are far too little to stay up, so I will be home with the kids and in bed at my normal time so I can be up with the kids Sunday. I may set my alarm for 11:50 to send my husband a text, but it depends on how late I am up ;)

24. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 29, 2011

This sounds like so much fun!!

25. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Dec 29, 2011

Tv, snacks, fireplace, and cuddles!

26. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Dec 29, 2011

Just like Christmas Eve and Christmas Day I am working New Years Eve (until 10:30) and New Years Day (7:30- 7:30). But, since I'll get home around 10:45, I may have BF warm up some munchies to have and bring in the new year (then I'll quickly go to bed so I can get up at 6a.m. to get ready for work lol).

27. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Dec 29, 2011

I offered to babysit my niece and nephew for my brother and sister in law on nye. They are either going out to eat and coming back or going out of town to see friends and I would spend the night with my niece and nephew.

My niece is 4 and nephew is 2 so they are too little to stay up so I guess I will ring in the new year by myself. That is okay, though. All of my friends are working that night anyway.

I wonder, though, what are some fun things I can do with my niece and nephew before they go to bed?

28. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Dec 29, 2011

How sweet of you!:) When my daughters were little they loved to make play-doh (you can make lots of colors) and then play with it for hours.

29. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Dec 29, 2011

BF and I are staying in. We made a menu of nibbles for dinner/the evening (I get to try out the new fondue pot!) and we'll hang out, watch TV, play board games... and hope I actually make it to midnight :)

30. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Dec 29, 2011

I plan to stay in with my husband and dogs and watch TV. We'll spend the next day watching football. There may be a member of our board game group planning something and if so we'll go do that. We are exhausted, and the last of our company leaves tomorrow.

31. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Dec 29, 2011

Some people are scrooges at Christmas but I'm the New Year's Scrooge. BF is really into it so I told him to just pick something and I'd go but so far no plans. I think because of school I always see new years as mid year instead lol. Plus I hate large gatherings.

32. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Dec 29, 2011

1st year, how nice of you to baby sit. I say go for the whole New Year's Eve thing - party hats, poppers, mini foods, snacks, dance to the chicken dance and hokey pokey, play limbo, and at 8:00 ring in the new year. Then put them in pjs and watch a movie until they fall asleep.
    I'm staying in and having party foods. Hoping DS and his GF will be there.

33. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Dec 29, 2011

I'll be hosting our annual game night. Several of DH's family will come over. We'll have munchies of all sorts, non-alcoholic drinks, board games, Wii games, lots of laughter! Ring in the new year together and having fun. Not much better than that!

I hate cleaning my house to get ready for hosting, but I love being the one that's already home. Plus, my 3 kiddos can go to bed whenever they need.

34. Izzy Teach

Izzy Teach Rookie

Dec 29, 2011

Two years ago my best friend and I stayed at a hotel in a neighboring city. Our motel room came with a bottle of champagne, strawberries, admission to all four parties, and New Year's brunch.

We met up with some friends there, and we had fun. It is not something that we plan on doing again. We wanted to go because we were old enough to go.

We haven't made any plans for this year. I will probably stay home with my dog and watch television.

35. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Dec 29, 2011

We always just stay at home and relax. Watch some movies and jump off the sofa at midnight to jump into the new year. Thank goodness we have the week before New Years Eve off or there is no way I could be up until midnight.

36. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 30, 2011

I am making my NYE snack list today. What is everyone serving? My list so far includes:
    Pigs in blanket
    Homemade chicken and veggie eggrolls
    Spinach and feto philo cups
    Jalapeno poppers
    Mini quiche
    I would love some new ideas. Not sure if I'm going to bother with dessert.

37. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2011

We're having:
    Veggie platter
    Cheese fondue (just a little)
    Shrimp cocktail
    Crawfish beignets with remoulade
    Baked potato skins
    Cookies for dessert

And, of course, champagne and a tiny bite of herring at midnight for good luck!

38. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 30, 2011

I'm not sure if I want to get champagne or make some nice cocktails. I do have some Mudslide mix!

39. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2011

There will just be 6 of us. We are making spinach artichoke dip and they are making a taco layer dip. BF got a cool wild game sausage and cheese set from my brother from Cabella's, so we are going to get chips and crackers and take that along. They have soda and alcohol. I might take some leftovers cookies. Trying to keep it simple - we always have too much food.

40. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Dec 30, 2011

This will be the first time in several years that we aren't having a party. My husband is going to be on shift so I will go to a friends house for a pretty big shindig!
    So cool that I don't have to clean the house! I can just relax and eat junk food until next year when the diet starts!

41. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 30, 2011

That sounds like a great plan! :lol: