New Year's Day Plans?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 29, 2010

Let's hear your New Year's plans!

It's my BF's birthday, then mine about 2 wks later. We've gone to Seaworld as kids, but never together. We'd like to spend the day there sometime in Jan as a b-day gift to ourselves. Nothing specific on NYD itself.

3. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Dec 29, 2010

going to see a movie and grabbing take out for dinner!

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 29, 2010

Sounds good, I may do that on the day too.

5. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 29, 2010

For Eve, we are going to a friends that night to play board games and eat munchies and drink.

For Day, we will go to his mom's for pork and sauerkraut, which is the good luck tradition around here. Not that I mind - I could eat sauerkraut everyday.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 29, 2010

In our house, New Years is the end of the Christmas season, nothing more.

Everyone will try to stay up till midnight; Kira is normally least successful there. Then the kids will go out and bang pots and pans with the kids across the street (if they also have success staying up.) We make appetizers and so do a few of the neighbors; we end up wherever we end up.

New Years Day is about taking down the tree, sorting through laundry, and starting to prepare for the next long haul at school.

7. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 29, 2010

I usually leave the tree up through January, but I will be taking it down on New Years Day too, because it is in the way when they deliver my new King Sized Bed on Sunday! WOOOT!

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 29, 2010

Once school starts next week it gets busy: MOnday I have Sodality from 3- 3:30. Religion is every Tuesday (the girls and me from 5-6, Brian from 7-8:15). Next week it's my turn to handle the Detention room, from 3-4.(Every day but Monday.) We (both Peter's school and mine) have parent-student-teacher conferences on Thursday from 7-9; I have to get home, feed the kids, then hopefully get back in time for dinner at 6. The girls have kickline on Mondays from 3-4 and Girl Scouts on Friday from 3-4. That weekend Peter is taking 3 kids to a photo seminar somewhere.

It's simply a whole lot easier to get the house back in shape before school begins again.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 29, 2010

I don't have any plans as of right now, but I'm trying to line some up. Hubby won't be home so it'll probably be my sister's house or a neighbor's.

10. gigi

gigi Groupie

Dec 29, 2010

We go out for Chinese food and then see a movie. Usually the whole family and friends, still not sure who is coming this year. All the Christmas decorations are down with the exception of the tree, DH and I do that New Years Day.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 29, 2010

Eve: going to dinner with dh and my parents at a local inn...it's historic inn...it was built in the 1790s and is on the National Registry of Historic Places...the food is soooooo good and they have a jazz trio playing for New Years.

NY Day: we've been invited to a swearing in ceremony. A friend was elected to the board of county freeholders. Should be interesting.

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 29, 2010

It will be a very unusual New Years for us this year.

Eve: Lauren's soccer team has a game in the afternoon; the team and parents may battle the crowds at one of the parks after that. If not, we're not sure where we'll end up.

NY Day: Soccer game isn't until 6:30pm on New Years Day; we may go to one of the parks for a few hours during the day.

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 29, 2010

Eve: I'm going out for an early supper with DH. He has to leave that night. I'll probably just watch television and mess around online.

Day: I'm just staying home. I need to get some things ready to go back to school on Monday. We've been out since Dec. 10th.

14. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Dec 29, 2010

I have already taken down all of the Christmas decor...kind of sick of looking at it. No major plans at this point.

15. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 29, 2010

I probably won't take the tree down until the movers come get it in Feb. Lazy.. Lazy.. Lazy.. I'm okay with that.

16. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Dec 29, 2010

I sit at home enjoying my solitude most years. My husband is a volunteer for the humane society and they oversee the animals in the Rose Bowl Parade so he leaves in the middle of the night, works, and then crashes when he gets home.

I need to take all the Christmas stuff down and get some planning done. There are cupboards I should clean, yard work to do if it stops raining, the freezer to clean out.....sigh....I want to read a book and take a nice walk.

17. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 30, 2010

Eve: we invite friends over for games, food and drink.
    Day: we will spend a quiet one at home this year. I am making a pork roast and sauerkraut, and we will watch college bowl games. I took down my Christmas decorations yesterday,so that I have the weekend to relax before going back to school Monday.

18. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Dec 30, 2010

No plans really. I'm sure we'll do a lot of what we usually do. We've been talking about going to the movies, so maybe we'll do that.

I didn't put up any holiday decorations this year, since we were going to be out of town for most of the holidays.

At some point, I need to grade some papers.

19. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Dec 30, 2010

We'll have "mini foods" with the kids for supper and then they'll go spend the evening with friends. they'll probably go downtown to watch the big "drop" here in our little town. New Year's Day we'll have pork barbecue! It's all about food I guess.

20. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Dec 30, 2010

I have friends that are getting married on New Years, but their reception is actually on New Years Eve, so that's where I will be.

21. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Dec 30, 2010

Eve: Nothing really, I may be dropping/picking up my daughter from her friends party(if she feels well enough to go)

day: watch the rose bowl parade and do some planning.

22. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Dec 30, 2010

Eve: We have a few friends come over, watch movies, play games and eat.

Day: Watch the Rose Bowl and clean the house. Ah, the holidays are over...

23. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 30, 2010

Oh, and also a day of watching football, especially watching my Badgers in the Rose Bowl!

24. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Dec 30, 2010

Hopefully We'll get together with friends & my sis & celebrate.
    I can remember a time when New Years was the peak of the holiday season. It was the most festive with parties, food & lots of singing & dancing. The holidays wouldn't stop till after the second week in January when the Three Kings Day was celebrated with gifts, food & more festivities. These days it's common to see a Christmas tree along the side of the road the day after Christmas. All decorations & holiday ambience for the most part seize as soon as Dec 25 is over and we're back to business as usual.

25. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Dec 30, 2010

New Years Eve: USF vs. Clemson @ Noon. GO BULLS!!!!!
    I also have to remember to call my Dad before they go out to dinner. It's his 50th birthday! Julius and I might go down by the water, sit in a bar and have a drink and then watch some fireworks. But that's undecided as of right this moment.

New Years Day: I don't think I'm doing anything. If I feel like it, I may take down the tree, but I like it up so I may wait a little longer…

26. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 30, 2010

I remember those days! We didn't keep our tree up until Jan. 6th, but we did keep up through New Year's.
    Unfortunately, I am one of those who take down my tree the week in between.
    BTW-went grocery shopping today, and they already have Valentine's day cards out. Yikes!:eek: