New Yearbook Teacher

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by MsDouglas, Jul 21, 2014.

1. MsDouglas

MsDouglas Rookie

Jul 21, 2014

I am starting at a new school and was asked to take over the yearbook. I teach math and have no idea how to teach a yearbook class. I'm excited for the challenge. I'll have 5 students for the Fall semester to help me. The last yearbook teacher is still there to help me but she didn't know anything about yearbook when she started a couple years ago.

My biggest question is how do you sell advertisements? I noticed that the book has not sold a lot of senior ads in the past. Last year, only 17% of the seniors bought advertisements. When I was in high school, 50% of the seniors had advertisements. Students wrote notes to their best friends, boyfriends wrote love notes to their girlfriends, and the front office staff even bought a small ad. I really want to be able to break even or make money this year. The book has lost money in the past. Can anyone give me some ideas to help with advertisement sales and yearbook sales?

What do I need to go over with the students to get them started?

3. allaragallagher

allaragallagher Comrade

Jul 21, 2014

I second this. I'm a first year teacher and it's been hinted to me twice now that I should take over the open Yearbook advisor role. It's in my classroom and ran by my students.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2014

Prepare a letter (have approved by office) to send to families and local businesses for boosters/ads.

5. MsDouglas

MsDouglas Rookie

Jul 21, 2014

allaragallagher - If I was a first year teacher, I probably would have said no. Especially because I'm a math teacher. Because of class sizes, it makes sense to move the yearbook from the English department to the math department. I'll also be teaching two math classes but I've taught the class five times now. If you take over the yearbook, let me know. We can probably help each other out.

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 21, 2014

The first thing you need to do is find out who publishes your book (Jostens, Taylor, Lifetouch, etc) and get in contact with your local rep. He/she will be an invaluable source for you in all aspects, even organizing the class. They have a vested interest in you being successful and selling lots of books, so they will help you!

7. MsDouglas

MsDouglas Rookie

Jul 21, 2014

The good news is that I have already made initial contact with our Herff Jones contact. He suggested I attend a two day workshop next week. The bad news is that it's the same day as our senior pictures and my required meeting with HR. Hopefully we'll get something scheduled in early August.