New Yearbook Adviser

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Storyteller, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Storyteller

Storyteller Rookie

Jul 29, 2015

Hi all! I just got asked to be my middle school's yearbook adviser today and am looking for any tips/advice you can give me! I've never been a yearbook adviser before and wasn't on yearbook in high school but I was the editor of my college's literary magazine so I'm hoping that gives me some insight. I also love to take pictures and come up with cute captions and such so I'm very excited (and slightly nervous) about it.

We use Jostens and I'm going to a training next week for 2 days so hopefully that will help. Last year, the art teacher held yearbook as a 7th period related arts class so just 8th grade students were on staff. This year, we are doing it as more of a "club" after school for 7th and 8th grade students. Any advice/tips are welcome! Thanks in advance!

3. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 29, 2015

Jostens will be an invaluable resource for you. They want you to be successful and sell those books! :) So, find out who your rep is asap, and let him/her know that you need lots of guidance. Chances are they will have curriculum outlines, ideas, etc.

Two things you need to know pretty quickly: do you have to raise money for your book (through book sales, ads, etc.), and how do you decide who is on your staff.

If you have to raise money, then you need to establish your budget with your rep, and work out realistically how to meet that budget.

As for your staff, you need to find out if you will be able to pick the students yourself. You don't want it to be a dumping ground for just any kid bored with nothing to do. That will make your life miserable.

I was a high school YB advisor for a decade, and I loved it! It's a lot of work, but it's very rewarding. :)

4. Storyteller

Storyteller Rookie

Jul 30, 2015

I don't know yet what kind of fundraising or having to raise the money I have to do - guess I will email my principal and ask that?

I do know that the yearbook will be done as a club this year so I can pick the students. I talked to one of the ELA teachers yesterday about selecting some of the students who are proficient in English and she suggested having the students complete a survey at the beginning of the year to pick who should be on the staff. I'm glad it's not a Related Arts class this year because I won't have anyone who just got dumped in the class and doesn't WANT to be there.

I read online about trying to make sure that every student is in the yearbook at least 1 time. Is this something that is attainable? I'd love to try and do it (I noticed in our yearbook last year that there were students who were in it over and over and over...) but wondered if it is realistic? Thanks!

5. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 30, 2015

I think it is possible to include everyone at least once, but the problem will be how you will get the pictures. Because it's a club, presumably meeting after school (?), when will your students be able to take pictures of everyone? Are you going to allow them to carry their cameras around all day? Are they using the cameras on their phones? Will teachers help you out by taking pictures during class while kids are working? These are some logistical issues you'll have to work out.

6. Storyteller

Storyteller Rookie

Jul 30, 2015

Hmm, good thoughts. Thanks! Yeah, I don't know exactly...I'm hoping that the art teacher will allow students out sometimes to take pictures. I can maybe send yearbook students who are in my classes out to take pics when they're working silently or something. And hopefully other teachers will help me out as well. I would really like to strive to include everyone.

7. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Jul 30, 2015

Jostens is excellent and super easy to use. You will probably know even more than I did because you're being trained for two days!
    Make sure you save all of your templates for the following school years because it will make creating the yearbook a breeze after that!

8. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 30, 2015

A lot of teachers will probably be willing to help you with that. They know when they are doing cool stuff in their classes, so put the camera in their hands! Also, with the whole "everyone gets a picture at least once," don't undersestimate the power of GROUP pictures! LOL! Gather kids up in the hall at lunch, during passing periods, at football games, etc. and take some group shots!

I'll second what Miss Jill said about templates. You'll want to build a lot of of last year's book, at least this first time around.

9. Storyteller

Storyteller Rookie

Aug 2, 2015

Yes, I think group shots will be very helpful!! I just don't want the same kids in every picture, I noticed that a lot in last year's book and don't want to do that. I'm very excited!

I don't know how much of a template I'll have from last year since the yearbook adviser from last year is gone but hopefully I won't have to start from scratch. I see what you mean about template for next year though - both of the yearbooks I have from the two years I've been there have the exact same layout haha. :)

I'm very excited and I plan to ask all the teachers to help me with knowing what students are involved in what and who has/hasn't been in a picture and ask teachers to send me any pictures they take throughout the year. I've already got a few teachers who want to help and I plan to ask the new art teacher if she wants to be involved at all (even though it's her first year). I'm very excited!

Haha I even bought one of those trapper keeper notebooks (the ones that zip up) just for yearbook and a notebook and stuff. I'm so excited!

Thank you for all the tips and advice and feel free to keep it coming! ;) ;)

10. LiterallyLisa

LiterallyLisa Companion

Aug 3, 2015

I love the idea of trying to take a picture of everyone and include everyone---while I do not know if it is obtainable, it will make your yearbook more interesting if you do not see the same person on each page! Make it a game for your yearbook staff, to find a certain someone at an event and get their picture, or it doesn't have to be specific. :)

I served on the yearbook team in high school and loved it. We checked out cameras some days, to take to class if we knew we were doing something cool or had an assembly, etc. We also were required to attend one after school activity each to take pictures (now, yearbook was a class for me, not held after school.)

As for my experience now with yearbook...students have to complete an application and get two teacher recommendations. Then, a few are chosen for staff. It cuts out the ones who want to wander around school and talk to people, while taking a photo I think.